Plan B

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Plan B

Post by thebish » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:35 pm

Prufrock wrote:We defo need a winger. Not sure about another striker being ahead of another centre-half. We're relying heavily on Wheater not getting injured which...you know...
and/or not getting sent off and suspended!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:41 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
boltonboris wrote:I've not totally lost faith in Dervite - I'm sure an organiser ca get something out of him
Certainly worth seeing what Parky and his coaching team can get out of him. He looked good when Lennon arrived initially with Mills. Mjallby coaching perhaps?
Andy Waller wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:Moxey is a conundrum. He's a talented enough player, imho, but has that defender's nightmare of having an error a game in him.

Is there a midfielder in there waiting to be discovered ?
I thought he looked ok on the wing when he played there last season.
Cool - cover in two areas already! :D

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:04 pm

I'm the same with Dervitte. I admit to giving up last season and not seeing too many of his awful performances ... but there's a player there. PP & his team nay need to recover him but I've not written him off.

Next .... World Peace.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:08 pm

Beefheart wrote:Trotters already obvious lack of mobility is made even more apparent when playing on the left of that diamond. I guess Pratley might have been there ahead of him if fit. Hopefully we get a couple more wide players in before the transfer window closes.
Yes there were a few moments where there was loads of space in front of moxey because he wasn't where he should've been. I like him.on the ball breaking forward but he needs the Big Sam treatment, ie. being used in a specific role that plays to his strengths.
As for moxey as a midfielder, maybe away from home for solidity but not at home. Had loads of the ball at weekend but made little of the space in front of him presumably because he's so slow.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:02 pm

Is he slow?? I mean Liam trotter slow? Even time I've watched him he's pretty quick! Not Woolery quick more like Zachary clough quick :D
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:07 pm

plymouth wanderer wrote:Is he slow?? I mean Liam trotter slow? Even time I've watched him he's pretty quick! Not Woolery quick more like Zachary clough quick :D
I'm talking about moxey being slow for wing play. Trotter is deceptive, he certainly looks lumbering but it's hard to tell.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:11 pm

I wouldn't say lack of pace is among Moxey's biggest problems. Rovers brought on a swiftish winger but he wasn't overly problematic, partly because Moxey has quite good anticipatory positioning. When a team is on the attack against us and it's all in front of him he's *usually* quite good at assessing the situation and judging where to be.

His biggest trouble is the occasional brainfart coming from lack of awareness of rapidly-developing situations; for instance, that ricket on Saturday came because a half-cleared header fell toward his weaker foot in the area, and because he wasn't aware of the bloke behind him he made what turned out to be an ill-judged decision to try to control it. I can't say I've pored over the tapes but from memory most of his mistakes have come from being blindsided.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:14 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
plymouth wanderer wrote:Is he slow?? I mean Liam trotter slow? Even time I've watched him he's pretty quick! Not Woolery quick more like Zachary clough quick :D
I'm talking about moxey being slow for wing play. Trotter is deceptive, he certainly looks lumbering but it's hard to tell.
No. No, it's not.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:38 pm

LeverEnd wrote: Trotter is deceptive.
He can't be even 4ucking worse than he looks, surely? :shock:
May the bridges I burn light your way

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:38 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:I wouldn't say lack of pace is among Moxey's biggest problems. Rovers brought on a swiftish winger but he wasn't overly problematic, partly because Moxey has quite good anticipatory positioning. When a team is on the attack against us and it's all in front of him he's *usually* quite good at assessing the situation and judging where to be.

His biggest trouble is the occasional brainfart coming from lack of awareness of rapidly-developing situations; for instance, that ricket on Saturday came because a half-cleared header fell toward his weaker foot in the area, and because he wasn't aware of the bloke behind him he made what turned out to be an ill-judged decision to try to control it. I can't say I've pored over the tapes but from memory most of his mistakes have come from being blindsided.
A number of time we broke and the ball was played to him with space in front of him and instead of being direct he would stop and play it sideways or back. Maybe it's my naive view but it irritated me greatly. I assumed it was because he didn't have the legs. Agree about the brain farts of course.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:48 pm

LeverEnd wrote:A number of time we broke and the ball was played to him with space in front of him and instead of being direct he would stop and play it sideways or back. Maybe it's my naive view but it irritated me greatly. I assumed it was because he didn't have the legs. Agree about the brain farts of course.
Oh I wouldn't disagree that his distribution might be much more adventurous. Buxton on the other side is much more likely to pick out a pass, whereas Moxey seems less confident in his passing ability; he will happily play the same prescripted diagonal towards Proctor if it's part of the pre-match planned tactics, but is less likely to notice and pick out a Clough run.

Must admit I'm intrigued to see what Andrew Taylor's got in his locker. If we're short of attacking width – either by lack of players or by using the diamond midfield - we need full-backs with creativity as well as energy. I've nothing particular against Moxey but nor am I emotionally tied to him.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:51 pm

I imagine Taylor will get his chance soon. Apparently has played as a winger so might offer more going forward.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:49 pm

A bit like JuJuJuDarby, Moxey does a good job of running around and looking quite busy, but he just seems to fail the T-CUP test more often than not.

We'll probably get away with it in this division more times than not though, so maybe his position isn't a priority.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:24 pm

I'm not really sure how much you can look into the tactics at this point because I still think we're a vulnerable team that is playing well short of our potential. The players still aren't showing much confidence and until they do, we aren't going to get the best out of them which is why I'm so pleased that we're winning despite that lack of confidence. The start was the crucial point to this season and, so far, it's gone well but hopefully we can keep it up and then that has a knock on effect on our players, bringing the best out of them because the scars from last season are obvious.

When our players are starting to play fluidly, taking chances etc. then I think we'll be able to better assess them as individuals and what works for us as a team. Right now though, I'm happy to win however ugly it is and if that continues, we'll eventually kick on to the next level and start dominating the opposition regardless of any minor tweaks.

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:44 pm

SmokinFrazier wrote:I'm not really sure how much you can look into the tactics at this point because I still think we're a vulnerable team that is playing well short of our potential. The players still aren't showing much confidence and until they do, we aren't going to get the best out of them which is why I'm so pleased that we're winning despite that lack of confidence. The start was the crucial point to this season and, so far, it's gone well but hopefully we can keep it up and then that has a knock on effect on our players, bringing the best out of them because the scars from last season are obvious.

When our players are starting to play fluidly, taking chances etc. then I think we'll be able to better assess them as individuals and what works for us as a team. Right now though, I'm happy to win however ugly it is and if that continues, we'll eventually kick on to the next level and start dominating the opposition regardless of any minor tweaks.
Feel sorry for them at times, pass the ball back to a defender to try and keep hold of possession and get booed and told to 'get it forward!'. So the next time you try and force a forward pass that gets intercepted so you get booed and told to 'keep hold of it!'