Saddlers up, we're off to Walsall (A) 17/8

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Saddlers up, we're off to Walsall (A) 17/8

Post by Bijou Bob » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:00 pm

Nicko58 wrote:
Bijou Bob wrote:
officer_dibble wrote:Clough has to start next week I think, hopefully with Madine. Best two we have at finding the net, which sums up our issues I think! Procter and madine? Too 1 dimensional for me.
I'm not sure what evidence you're basing that on in the case if Clough. Poor again yesterday I believe.
His goal scoring record?
What goal scoring record??! None this season, poor return last season. He hasn't got a goal scoring record of any note yet! Some folk treat him like the second coming but frankly, he's not even proving to be much of a prospect so far.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:14 pm

he has made a total of 34 league appearances for us and scored 12 goals... that's better than one in three... (which is not too shabby)

(quite a lot of those appearances were less than a full game)

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:25 pm

Really? I'll stand corrected then, had no idea it was that many. He's looked very poor so far for me. Let's hope he can stay fit for more than half a dozen matches and continue with that strike rate.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:30 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:Really? I'll stand corrected then, had no idea it was that many. He's looked very poor so far for me. Let's hope he can stay fit for more than half a dozen matches and continue with that strike rate.

well, I have to confess I didn't count them myself - but that's what it says on Wiki!! :D

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:05 am

thebish wrote:
Bijou Bob wrote:Really? I'll stand corrected then, had no idea it was that many. He's looked very poor so far for me. Let's hope he can stay fit for more than half a dozen matches and continue with that strike rate.
well, I have to confess I didn't count them myself - but that's what it says on Wiki!! :D
According to Transfermarkt he's played 3,061 minutes of first-team football, which means he's scored a goal every 235 minutes - or two games and 55 minutes.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:37 am

The point was he looks more likely to score than any of the new signings, including procter, as does madine.

Hopefully he can put his injuries behind him. That seems to be his issue to me.

Also wonder if Samizdah should be on the bench again. He looks bulky enough to handle it to me and is a goalscorer!

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:50 am

Scoring us clearly our main weakness so any solution is worth investigating.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:07 am

bobo the clown wrote:Scoring us clearly our main weakness so any solution is worth investigating.
How about converting you into a striker? Good solution? :)

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:08 am

PS....Could work with those big feet of yours :wink:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:53 am

officer_dibble wrote:Also wonder if Samizdah should be on the bench again. He looks bulky enough to handle it to me and is a goalscorer!
Not arguing against your opinion, but I doubt we'll see that, for a couple of reasons.

One, as we get strikers returning to fitness (Clough, Madine, Clayton), there'll be fewer spaces up top.

Two, Parky is a naturally cautious manager. I doubt he'll be throwing in kids over "trusted" "sturdy" "professionals".

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:09 am

These professionals who are struggling to hit a barn door. Them professionals? At least the bench in my opinion.
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:11 am

I think there is scant evidence that Clough will bag double figures in this division let alone a kid who's played about 5 minutes of pro football.

Iles asked Parky, his coaches and David Lee who all said Samizadeh wasn't ready for the first team yet. David Lee apparently has been fairly critical of him at times.

I think these guys know their jobs.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:15 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:I think there is scant evidence that Clough will bag double figures in this division let alone a kid who's played about 5 minutes of pro football.

Iles asked Parky, his coaches and David Lee who all said Samizadeh wasn't ready for the first team yet. David Lee apparently has been fairly critical of him at times.

I wouldn't be listening to David Lee's opinion as to anybody's goalscoring accuracy. I've seen precious few worse than him.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:23 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:I wouldn't be listening to David Lee's opinion as to anybody's goalscoring accuracy. I've seen precious few worse than him.
But as Wenger memorably said, you don't have to have been a horse to be a jockey. Man City have scored more goals in the past five weeks than their manager collected in his entire career.

Personally I'd be happy to see Samizadeh blaze off the bench and bag a goal or three, but I don't know shit about him compared to the blokes who watch him at Lostock every day. It's all a bit Andranik multiplied by hope-come-desperation.

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:36 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:I think there is scant evidence that Clough will bag double figures in this division let alone a kid who's played about 5 minutes of pro football.

If it isn't because of time spent out with injuries, then I can't see any reason why he wouldn't be able to score at least ten goals a season at this level.
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:36 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:you don't have to have been a horse to be a jockey.
Possibly helps if you know how to sit the right way around on a horse though ;)

We are utterly shite up top. I'd be more than happy to see the lad get a runout on a 'can't do much worse' basis. At least for the odd half an hour.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:40 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:But as Wenger memorably said, you don't have to have been a horse to be a jockey.
I hope he credited Arrigo Sacchi when he said it. :wink:
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:52 am

Nicko58 wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:But as Wenger memorably said, you don't have to have been a horse to be a jockey.
I hope he credited Arrigo Sacchi when he said it. :wink:
Ha! Good spot :D
Bruce Rioja wrote:We are utterly shite up top. I'd be more than happy to see the lad get a runout on a 'can't do much worse' basis. At least for the odd half an hour.
Not shite as such - Saturday was the first game we haven't scored, which happened in 19 of our 46 league games last term - but inefficient, for sure. Two games in the last three we haven't got the result our possession/shotcount deserved.

So the trouble is that all our games have been so tight, making the wrong move might drop points. If we were in the habit of winning by 2+ goals then it's a very low-risk ploy to give a kid a runout. But if he comes on and misses a chance that costs us points and drops us out of the play-off zone, you could argue that's damaging to his development. He's 17, not 21.

For the record, I completely understand the idea. But I doubt it will happen, so I'm refusing to get excited or agitated about it.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:39 pm

Nicko58 wrote:

If it isn't because of time spent out with injuries, then I can't see any reason why he wouldn't be able to score at least ten goals a season at this level.
He's been missing a few chances though since his initial burst onto the scene. We don't know if he really is regular goalscorer material yet.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:45 pm

Claytons months off surely?

For me he would get a game in the next round of that ridiculous cup we're in. You can't coach goalscoring instinct. Or we can't anyway.