Bantams @ home. 24/09/16. 15:00

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

DJBlu
Site Admin

Re: Bantams @ home. 24/09/16. 15:00

Post by DJBlu » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:49 pm

We've been pish up front.

At the back it's been disciplined.

enrdentw
Promising
Promising

Post by enrdentw » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:50 pm

Clough introduction way too late IMO.

jonnycooper
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by jonnycooper » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:50 pm

2 top 6 sides! So a point would be a decent result! Shortest match thread I can remember..

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:54 pm

0-0 - a point gained! errr...

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:55 pm

Thankfully the defence is helping. Really need a goal scorer as we're poor up top.

Who said clean sheets win you games?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:29 pm

DJBlu wrote:Thankfully the defence is helping. Really need a goal scorer as we're poor up top.

We're not set up to accommodate an out and out goalscorer.

We either switch to 2 up top or we'll continue to labour imo. Certainly didn't do enough to win it today
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:33 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
DJBlu wrote:Thankfully the defence is helping. Really need a goal scorer as we're poor up top.

We either switch to 2 up top or we'll continue to labour imo. Certainly didn't do enough to win it today
We only had Proctor properly fit today.

Also we do not have a strong enough midfield to play 2 up other than a diamond system which has no width.

Our problem is that Ameobi and Henry aren't creating anything yet. Henry was better today but still between them, or two creative players they created very little.

Also Vela and Trotter are absolutely hopeless. Seriously both are terrible and it leaves is struggling in midfield continuously.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:00 pm

Trotter. I try ... really I do ... but what's the point if him ? He defines the phrase "not interfering with play" !!
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:35 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:

Also we do not have a strong enough midfield to play 2 up other than a diamond system which has no width.

Our problem is that Ameobi and Henry aren't creating anything yet. Henry was better today but still between them, or two creative players they created very little.

Also Vela and Trotter are absolutely hopeless. Seriously both are terrible and it leaves is struggling in midfield continuously.
I said this last week & you had a go at me....

Today was toothless & very boring to watch, we would not have scored if we had played for another 90 mins - defence was solid though, I thought Henry & Ameobi did ok - midfield though was non existent, Spearing was typical Spearing battling winning tackles but we are so slow & lethargic in possession and look like we just don't want to attack when we have the ball - Vela yet again was useless, he's just a shitter version of Julian Darby he just ambles around the pitch doing nothing.

When we go forward we have no pace and the midfield don't support, they just stroll - so the attacking players are completely isolated, on at least 2 or 3 occasions 2nd half Moxey was bombing forward down the left in acres of space screaming for the ball - but we just passed it sideways & backwards a few times and then eventually passed it to him when he'd slowed down & was marked by Bradford players

I haven't got a clue whether PP is any good or not and only time will tell, all I'll say is that he's not an attacking manager and he appears to prefer defending to attacking and he has got us defending better, Beevers was excellent and Moxey was OK apart from his cock up just after HT trying to head the ball back to the keeper - but we have nothing going forward and never looked like scoring today....we looked totally devoid of ideas going forward apart from long balls to Procter.

£28.00 to watch a very boring, uninspiring game of League 1 football....

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:39 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:

I said this last week & you had a go at me....

Today was toothless & very boring to watch, we would not have scored if we had played for another 90 mins - defence was solid though, I thought Henry & Ameobi did ok - midfield though was non existent, Spearing was typical Spearing battling winning tackles but we are so slow & lethargic in possession and look like we just don't want to attack when we have the ball - Vela yet again was useless, he's just a shitter version of Julian Darby he just ambles around the pitch doing nothing.

When we go forward we have no pace and the midfield don't support, they just stroll - so the attacking players are completely isolated, on at least 2 or 3 occasions 2nd half Moxey was bombing forward down the left in acres of space screaming for the ball - but we just passed it sideways & backwards a few times and then eventually passed it to him when he'd slowed down & was marked by Bradford players

I haven't got a clue whether PP is any good or not and only time will tell, all I'll say is that he's not an attacking manager and he appears to prefer defending to attacking and he has got us defending better, Beevers was excellent and Moxey was OK apart from his cock up just after HT trying to head the ball back to the keeper - but we have nothing going forward and never looked like scoring today....we looked totally devoid of ideas going forward apart from long balls to Procter.

£28.00 to watch a very boring, uninspiring game of League 1 football....
We don't have anyone else to play was my point. Can't criticise Parky, hes very limited in midfield.

I think being solid and earning results is a good start. The worry is of course where goals will come from as once again that looks a big issue. Ameobi for example clearly has skill, but he doesn't do much with it.

We look a poorer side without Madine IMO.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:48 pm

The football on display is boring & shit to watch....the atmosphere from the Bolton fans today was poor, understandably as they were bored to tears - we have zero creativity & pace going forward and what appears to be little energy or desire from midfield to get forward quickly. The gap between midfield & attack was huge today when we went forward, at times the back four got forward quicker than Vela, Trotter or Spearing - Spearing aside our midfield is absolutely terrible.

I was actually impressed with Ameobi today, the only player who wanted to go forward with the ball - but he had absolutely no support from midfield, Clough did OK as well but how we can expect to score goals playing 7 at the back is a little worrying.

Athertonian
Promising
Promising

Post by Athertonian » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:51 pm

Same problem as last term, can't score goals plus no midfielder who can put his foot on the ball. Until this is addressed this season will fizzle out well before xmas.

jetsetwilly
Reliable
Reliable

Post by jetsetwilly » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:02 pm

This was my 5th game this season and I am yet to see us play well (for more than 30 mins). I am very concerned that PP has a system in mind, regardless of who is injured. Playing Proctor up front on his own is no threat at all. Henry did a bit better today, but there is no pace and no threat and once more we resort to hoofing it forward. Beevers was terrible today, 50% of his hoofs went into touch, 40% went to their keeper and 10% went to Proctor, of which about 2% were won. I felt for Proctor, he is not good enough to win headers or hold the ball up (his touch is poor).

Ameobi looks like he has bags of skill, but no urgency, no idea of how to play alongside any other players.

Spearing and Clough look quality, but beyond that, we look very poor. Is that 5 without a win? I didn't expect to walk this league, but did hope that we had a manager who was flexible and that we might see some entertaining games.

Early days, but PP is losing my respect very quickly with his tactic of pass the ball backwards, then across the goal 10 times (hoping that nobody loses it), then smash it forward.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:20 pm

jetsetwilly wrote:Spearing and Clough look quality, but beyond that, we look very poor. Is that 5 without a win? I didn't expect to walk this league, but did hope that we had a manager who was flexible and that we might see some entertaining games.

Early days, but PP is losing my respect very quickly with his tactic of pass the ball backwards, then across the goal 10 times (hoping that nobody loses it), then smash it forward.
The tactics are extremely negative & piss poor - but a few times 2nd half we had 10 man back defending corners / throw ins etc. and I noticed PP shouting at the forward players to get up to the half way line to give us an outlet, but they didn't listen....he does come across like a very defensive minded manager with little idea of how to get us better going forward - there is also little or no tempo, energy or passion in our play - apart from Spearing's excellent crunching tackles

We have a back four then another very defensive back 3 of midfielders - so the gap to Proctor is 70 yards with no one in between

Also playing Vela in midfield is like playing with 10 men.....he's a decent RB but he's shocking in midfield, he plays with his head down has little energy, gives the ball away constantly and rarely looks like he's remotely interested

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:27 pm

I definitely think we should go back to our expansive style under Coyle and Lennon. Cos that was well ace.

We have a limited group of players and must play as such. Bradford have better footballers but neither side played well nor created much of note.

End of the day I'm glad we have a manager realistic enough to help us grind out results. How quickly people forget where we were last season, how every player was a disgrace, should be sold, no passion etc....we are now competing at least.

Expecting free flowing football is totally unrealistic especially with what we've got. Really wondered what people were expecting. Our very limited squad haven't become world beaters overnight. We must just keep going and grinding out results. Get a few more fit and that will help too.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:37 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:I definitely think we should go back to our expansive style under Coyle and Lennon. Cos that was well ace.

We have a limited group of players and must play as such. Bradford have better footballers but neither side played well nor created much of note.

End of the day I'm glad we have a manager realistic enough to help us grind out results. How quickly people forget where we were last season, how every player was a disgrace, should be sold, no passion etc....we are now competing at least.

Expecting free flowing football is totally unrealistic especially with what we've got. Really wondered what people were expecting. Our very limited squad haven't become world beaters overnight. We must just keep going and grinding out results. Get a few more fit and that will help too.
I'd not heard of any of the Bradford players.....you'll say that your being realistic, but to me you're the type who accepts mediocrity and if that's the case then good luck to you squire.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:43 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:I definitely think we should go back to our expansive style under Coyle and Lennon. Cos that was well ace.

I'd not heard of any of the Bradford players.....you'll say that your being realistic, but to me you're the type who accepts mediocrity and if that's the case then good luck to you squire.
Whether you have heard of them, how is that relevant?

We finished bottom of the championship by a distance last season. By a distance. We couldn't beat league one Burton. We didn't compete. You personally wanted every single one sold.

So don't pretend we are stocked with talent. We are rebuilding and it is considerably better than last season.

You are the type who moans irrespective unless we win every game. I'm sure in the summer you were telling me how ace everything was under the new owners and all, and over the moon with Parky's appointment. Fact is being realistic you couldn't fix all our problems in a few months. And we never were going to.

Just have a little perspective and see the progress we've made.

Last season we'd have got stuffed today and without any sort of backbone to respond.

enrdentw
Promising
Promising

Post by enrdentw » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:47 pm

100% agree. Let's remember, we've played Bradford, Sheffield United and Charlton in our opening games and have taken points from all of them. We are touching distance from top. The table is all that matters and, like KA mentioned this week, I'd have snapped anyone's hand off to be where we are today when asked at the start of the season.

Well done PP and the lads!

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:48 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Peter Thompson wrote:

Whether you have heard of them, how is that relevant?

We finished bottom of the championship by a distance last season. By a distance. We couldn't beat league one Burton. We didn't compete. You personally wanted every single one sold.

So don't pretend we are stocked with talent. We are rebuilding and it is considerably better than last season.

You are the type who moans irrespective unless we win every game. I'm sure in the summer you were telling me how ace everything was under the new owners and all, and over the moon with Parky's appointment. Fact is being realistic you couldn't fix all our problems in a few months. And we never were going to.

Just have a little perspective and see the progress we've made.

Last season we'd have got stuffed today and without any sort of backbone to respond.

^^
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:05 pm

TKIZ! endorses the above from BWFCi
Pfffft.