Bantams @ home. 24/09/16. 15:00

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Bantams @ home. 24/09/16. 15:00

Post by Andy Waller » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:27 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
boltonboris wrote:Suppose you prefer drawing to winning, in that case?
Aye, cos extra striker, irrespective of whom, always = wins.

We've seen that down the years. Throwing on more and more attacking players has never failed us, ever...oh....
Personally, I thought it might have made a difference on Saturday. The ball just wasn't sticking to Proctor because there wasn't an outlet for him.

It made a difference when Clough came on because he seemed to be a bit more forward thinking.
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:34 pm

Andy Waller wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

We've seen that down the years. Throwing on more and more attacking players has never failed us, ever...oh....
Personally, I thought it might have made a difference on Saturday. The ball just wasn't sticking to Proctor because there wasn't an outlet for him.

It made a difference when Clough came on because he seemed to be a bit more forward thinking.
I think if we'd had Madine fit, it'd have made a difference. Clough helped a little when he came on, but essentially the problem was we didn't have a fit and eligible second striker in the squad.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:42 pm

Safety first for me against a good side.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:46 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

Well it doesn't automatically say "Lose" either!!

Some modicum of ambition to actually win a match wouldn't go amiss
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:58 pm

boltonboris wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Well it doesn't automatically say "Lose" either!!

Some modicum of ambition to actually win a match wouldn't go amiss
See I don't think we showed a lack of ambition to win. It was a tight game between two sides who didn't really create much. I think we tried to build sustained pressure but failed. As did they. They passed it better than us, we got better delivery into the box than them, but our issue for me, was a tiring midfield, that isn't all that good, were unable to control the game. We played it long a lot as a result and this rarely came off. Apart from Henry and Clough, the rest of our players rarely looked like creating a thing.

That for me, is the bottom line. We had what we had available. Gave it a decent shot, but ultimately had neither the legs or creativity in midfield to win it, nor the ability to put two big lads up front and just bombard the box.

Had Madine or Clough been properly fit and neither had started I think there would be cause to grumble about the team selection. But ultimately the side virtually picked itself and turned out it wasn't really good enough to win the game.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:39 pm

I think a big part of the midfield struggling, was due to the huge space between the lines. The defence was far too deep and it affected the whole team. A little bit of extra pac ourselves may have pusghed them 5 yards further back

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:45 pm

boltonboris wrote:I think a big part of the midfield struggling, was due to the huge space between the lines. The defence was far too deep and it affected the whole team. A little bit of extra pac ourselves may have pusghed them 5 yards further back
Bradford's pace up front meant we dropped a little deeper, I agree.

But as Parky has explained an unwell Vela and unfit Trotter meant we seriously ran out of legs. You could see it happening.

For me we're just too bare bones right now and have too many injuries, niggles and issues, especially in midfield. If you go back to the early part of the season the ground Vela covered was a big reason we did well. For me he's dropped off massively, whether it is fitness, illness or whatever, but we're lacking that running in midfield.

The shame is that neither Ameobi nor Henry have really compensated as yet. Ameobi I fear is not going to be what we need though as his main game seems to be running till someone blocks his path, then giving the ball away. Henry I think can offer something once he gets going.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:59 pm

I've been disappointed with Ameobi since his promising debut. Has the ability to win a game on his own at this level, but we won't see that often enough.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:49 pm

In a way i dont mind ameobi being inconsistent, as long as he is good once in a while! Its Henry who has dissapointed me really, performed at this level before, on loan till Jan, we really need him at his best every game.