Swindon (A) 08/10/16 1pm - Match Thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Swindon (A) 08/10/16 1pm - Match Thread

Post by twilight » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:53 pm

AND my good friend Bijou....Moxey wasn't in the team either 8)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:00 pm

twilight wrote:AND my good friend Bijou....Moxey wasn't in the team either 8)
Who played at LB then, Twilight, and how did he do?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:06 pm

Worthy4England wrote:Couple of good, solid, thread titles this week, Trotter gets benched and two wins. Smashing.
And no Tony Kelly on Tower FM. Bliss!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:18 pm

officer_dibble wrote:Clough - we own him, he's a young(ish) lad with a lot of talent. We are hoping he develops into a player who can either play for us at a better level or we sell him to a bigger team.

Henry - is ours for 3 months, has a good record at this level and is owned by wolves. To be frank if he doesn't have an immediate impact he is a waste of wages.

Thats the difference isn't it?

Thought Clough was more use than henry today, but both misses were dissapointing.
Personally I think the difference is, fans made such a fuss about Clough they don't want to admit he's done absolutely feck all for 12 months and looks pretty bang average.

Yet a new player coming in, trying to settle in without much first team football behind them is barracked after one bad touch.

I think there is a degree of hypocrisy with Clough, I like him. He clearly has a lot of talent. But he's simply not realising it, and is getting a lot of ball and wasting it, just like Henry.

Clough isn't as good as was first thought, it's not the first time a youngster at Bolton is way overhyped. I'm certainly not saying he's shite or worthless. But he's in league one and looks no more like scoring goals than Madine, Proctor or Henry. Time for a reality check with him and perhaps a realisation that the 2M offered for him by Bristol was in fact a very decent offer for an unproven player.

As it stands I think Clough fits into this system better but just like Madine, Henry and the rest if he continues misfiring we are going to struggle. His career could go one of two ways, either realise his potential and bang a load in and catch attention again or fade into lower league obscurity. I hope he manages the former and think he has a manager who will keep his feet planted. But as much as Henry was poor today, let's be honest and admit, Clough was equally as bad.

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:24 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
One of the Taylors, is it Andrew? All our full back are a bit of a weakness for me, he was ok, but that's because we won...if we had lost I would've slated him :)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:36 pm

twilight wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
One of the Taylors, is it Andrew? All our full back are a bit of a weakness for me, he was ok, but that's because we won...if we had lost I would've slated him :)
Thought he did well. Got no protection against a quick wing back, but was only beaten once.

Quite like Taylor, he's solid. Not great going forwards but I feel safer with him than Moxey.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:38 pm

Both defences were in control, theirs especially. The difference seemed to be that they had a top keeper and always had players in a rearguard position whereas we had to sprint back a few times. That said, except on a couple of occasions, we never really looked in trouble at the back. Much improved in that area. Ameobi is a lot quicker thinking than a few of those around him and I reckon Clough could have benefited by playing off him on the right side. Proctor had a touch like a J.C.B playing ping pong and much of Madine's work in the air had no support around him. Vela, as said by others, was solid as a rock today and Wheater is having an Indian summer.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:45 pm

Vela looks better to me, when he has more freedom like today to just chase loose balls and hasn't to worry about tracking runners so much.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:13 pm

twilight wrote:Without Trotter we have
A) Won
B had more energy in midfield
C) Looked better
D) Won!
Coincidence?
This 100%....playing anyone in midfield but the useless stump Trotter was a plus for me, the guy is stealing a living as a professional football player - for me he's the most un professional player going, he's got all the attributes to be a decent player at this level if he could be bothered to put the effort in, but his rank bad, lazy bone idle attitude & unwillingness to run, try or even break into a sweat will put a stop on his career.

Sounds like Thorpe played decent today though & Ameobi, which is a bonus....but apparently Spearing was poor again - what has happened to him in recent weeks

Sounded like a much better performance, and we'd do well in this league with a goal scorer - we'd be clear at the top with a Le Fondre type goal scorer, but a win is a win & at least the fans will have a decent weekend, and hopefully the players will take confidence from today ?

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:33 pm

Yes my self imposed away game ban is working a treat. Although my copper cousin did threaten me with a football banning order.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:47 pm

Not sure why you think Spearing was poor PT. He was very good today!

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:01 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Not sure why you think Spearing was poor PT. He was very good today!
I think I said that apparently Spearing was poor today - I didn't watch the stream or listen on the radio, just going off what my nephew who went today told me on the phone - Beevers, Wheater, Thorpe & Ameobi played well but he said that Spearing was crap - so only going off what I was told.

If Spearing played well - then what I posted was wrong....well played Jay Spearing.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:09 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Not sure why you think Spearing was poor PT. He was very good today!
Looked a division above the rest of them. Read the game so much better than everyone else, knew exactly when he had the time on the ball to take an extra touch and seek space. If everyone on our team had his footballing intelligence we'd be top. But they haven't and it can be painful to watch.

Vela is no more of a No10 than Pratley is, but he did well today doing what he does best: scurrying about (lazy, my arse). Thorpe was calm and read the game well, like a proper
holding midfielder. The full-backs both panic on the ball, but the defence looked solid enough; Swindon rarely threatened.

On Clough, I understand BWFCi's reservations but I don't share his pessimism. I feel sorry for Henry and I thoroughly expect Ameobi to disappoint if he starts the next game: a born sub, that lad. Madine tried to put himself about but the ref was a knobhead. Proctor, who replaced him after waiting stripped on the halfway line for fully seven minutes, was keen but embarrassed himself with an awful touch right in front of the (vocal, sizeable) away support.

Perhaps the first game we've genuinely deserved to win, or could feel peeved if we didn't. The fact the BBC/PA report leads on their goalkeeper, who also won the sponsors' Man of the Match award, attests to that. Could have been easier because we missed chances I would expect to be taken by a more confident team. Let's hope we are on the way to it.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:45 am

Just seen the highlights. Henry was as shockingly poor as has been described. I don't know where Clough's composure has gone and I'm not having it that he's become a poor player, but he does need to get his composure back.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:48 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:Just seen the highlights. Henry was as shockingly poor as has been described. I don't know where Clough's composure has gone and I'm not having it that he's become a poor player, but he does need to get his composure back.
Got quite a lot of ball first half in decent positions and apart from a great ball for Henry did little with it.

The thing with Clough is we've not seen him play nearly enough to know how good he is or isn't. People put him down as a natural goalscorer. But without near enough evidence.

He burst onto the scene and looked great, but plenty do that and then suddenly end up looking bang average once defenders work them out.

Perhaps he feels too much pressure. I do think though that he has been given a pretty easy ride compared to some others here.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:24 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
officer_dibble wrote:Clough - we own him, he's a young(ish) lad with a lot of talent. We are hoping he develops into a player who can either play for us at a better level or we sell him to a bigger team.

Henry - is ours for 3 months, has a good record at this level and is owned by wolves. To be frank if he doesn't have an immediate impact he is a waste of wages.

Thought Clough was more use than henry today, but both misses were dissapointing.
Personally I think the difference is, fans made such a fuss about Clough they don't want to admit he's done absolutely feck all for 12 months and looks pretty bang average.

Yet a new player coming in, trying to settle in without much first team football behind them is barracked after one bad touch.

I think there is a degree of hypocrisy with Clough, I like him. He clearly has a lot of talent. But he's simply not realising it, and is getting a lot of ball and wasting it, just like Henry.

Clough isn't as good as was first thought, it's not the first time a youngster at Bolton is way overhyped. I'm certainly not saying he's shite or worthless. But he's in league one and looks no more like scoring goals than Madine, Proctor or Henry. Time for a reality check with him and perhaps a realisation that the 2M offered for him by Bristol was in fact a very decent offer for an unproven player.

As it stands I think Clough fits into this system better but just like Madine, Henry and the rest if he continues misfiring we are going to struggle. His career could go one of two ways, either realise his potential and bang a load in and catch attention again or fade into lower league obscurity. I hope he manages the former and think he has a manager who will keep his feet planted. But as much as Henry was poor today, let's be honest and admit, Clough was equally as bad.
Um, you certainly did. Three pages ago. 'Total shite' in fact. I guess with Mark Davies injured (and us looking considerably worse as a result) someone has to be not fit for burning.

Why it irks you so much that fans aren't pillyoring a 21 year old lad who's been here since he was 8, is beyond me. He's barely had a consistent run of games, and yet his league record for us stands at 12 goals in 34 starts and 10 sub appearances. Considering what's been around him, he's been outstanding.

How well do you think he should've done in that period, to suggest we might have something here? Fans have got excited, but what the feck else has there been to be excited about?

Anyway, I thought there was a lot to like about us yesterday, despite the freak nature of the winner. Keep creating four of five one on ones every week and we won't hit them all straight at the 'keeper.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:29 am

Tombwfc wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Um, you certainly did. Three pages ago. 'Total shite' in fact. I guess with Mark Davies injured (and us looking considerably worse as a result) someone has to be not fit for burning.

Why it irks you so much that fans aren't pillyoring a 21 year old lad who's been here since he was 8, is beyond me. He's barely had a consistent run of games, and yet his league record for us stands at 12 goals in 34 starts and 10 sub appearances. Considering what's been around him, he's been outstanding.

How well do you think he should've done in that period, to suggest we might have something here? Fans have got excited, but what the feck else has there been to be excited about?

Anyway, I thought there was a lot to like about us yesterday, despite the freak nature of the winner. Keep creating four of five one on ones every week and we won't hit them all straight at the 'keeper.
My point is, after his initial burst onto the scene he's done very little.

And rather than suggesting he's pilloried, I'm suggesting that fans refrain from booing and shouting abuse at players like Chris Taylor after just a handful of games.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:50 am

Thanks for taking time to post your report, ThrowawayBoltonian. I haven't had the opportunity to go much this season either (apart from last week) but it sounds like we created more chances than against Oxford.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:19 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:I'm suggesting that fans refrain from booing and shouting abuse at players like Chris Taylor after just a handful of games.
And Amen to that, but are individual players actually being booed and/or abused? Genuine question as I've only seen us away at Dale and at home to Oxford. In both games there were no shortage of moments of exasperation, and although I choose not to join in with it the side were collectively booed off on both occasions. However, I can't say that I've noticed players coming in for individual stick.
Regarding Clough, he showed enough early on to prove that he is the real deal, he really does need to calm down though and show the guile he's shown before. His snatched effort when one on one yesterday just said to me that there's a player lacking confidence, not one lacking ability.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:05 pm

At least we know the booing of individuals isn't confined to just our cretins. England's highest ever goalscorer got booed yesterday. Ludicrous
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"