Into the Lions' Den, Millwall away, 18th Oct. Match thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Into the Lions' Den, Millwall away, 18th Oct. Match thre

Post by Prufrock » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:23 pm

Won that without getting out of second gear. Slightly frustrating to watch it that it's a nice big pitch and we were so much better than them man for man there was a 3,4 - nil there tonight if we'd wanted it. As soon as we got ahead (which we didn't see!) that was that. There'll be games where a lucky bounce means that approach will cost us a point, but you can argue the opposite can cost you two.

Wheater v good, Beevers even better. Best player on the pitch by a mile. Seems pretty much all anyone in this division has got is hit the bye-line and box it. Not many going to get change from our two in the middle.

Oh, and Nadine is a fecking ponce.

Oh, oh, oh, and that centre half called "Byron" can feck off too the snidey cheating cnut
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:28 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Millwall aren't very good. Any away point is good but I expected a win tonight.
Parky seems to be a streaky manager. Good runs and bad runs.
We are on a good run right now. Cracking result nonetheless.
Just a shame to pick up what seems to be another serious injury for a player just starting to shine. Ah well.
We used to call this sort of stuff deliberate "trolling" back a ways. I can't find where you predicted that win away against Millwall,Insaney? I'll have another look though. I seemed to hear that Romeo, Fred, Williams and Morrison caused us all sorts of agro tonight and our defence, including Ameobi were heroes. Must have got that wrong then?
Don't know who Williams is but the other three you mention were utter wank. Favorite moment if the first half was Morison spending a full 90 secs c*nting off the linesman for giving one of the three fouls in ten seconds he committed trying to take Beevers arms out their sockets. Next time the ball came to him, under no pressure, right next to that lino, Morrison looks one way and backheeled it...straight into touch. That lino has more self control than I do!

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:29 pm

Nicko58 wrote:
TonyDomingos wrote:
officer_dibble wrote:Is it serious?
At the time, Iles said "Looks like a bad one - can't put any weight on his right leg." But, I guess we'll have to wait until tomorrow for an early assessment.
He's now saying that it looks like he's done his ankle ligaments and could be out for a while.
Seriously? FFS! We fecking deserve some good luck the amount of injuries we get.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:43 pm

Great result....and what a goal from Sammi Ameobi - absolute class, one of the best for many a year

If Thorpe has done his ankle ligaments, then it's very unlucky but doing ankle ligaments I think is basically a 'sprained' ankle (apologies if I'm wrong), which is 3-4 weeks out not half a season like knee ligaments....and Derik is more than able to step in.

Well done PP & the team....massive improvement - keep it going !

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:44 pm

Awesome result this. Lets hope we can capitalize on this momentum and win a few more..

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:12 pm

Amazing hey? hand full of games ago some were saying that we will struggle to stay here!
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:18 pm

plymouth wanderer wrote:Amazing hey? hand full of games ago some were saying that we will struggle to stay here!
If we had continued to play as poorly as we were playing a handful of games ago, then it would certainly have been a struggle. Thankfully, it looks as though the Oxford game might just turn out to be the wake up call that we needed.
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:51 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:i was hoping to go, unlikely now, but POTD is good to know...

Made a last minute decision to go, got there late & missed Ameobi's wonder strike! (my brother got there even later and wasn't allowed in!) so sat and watched us run around without any beguile for the rest of the game. Never really looked a threat for me, Millwall were knocking on the door but Beevs n Wheats are colossal. Refreshing change watching a wanderers side with complete confidence in the two CB's! Wasn't Cloughs night tonight and that Nadine is fkin ponce! Certainly didn't look like a side at the top of the league but a win + clean sheet despite that is why we're up there!

First game of the season for me, first time I've seen a Parkinson side, or half the team! First time at the New Den too which is a pretty bleak and brutalist structure, but not in the least bit intimidating inside or out.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:57 pm

http://www.skysports.com/football/millw ... ort/358824" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Goals!

Sammy's was outstanding! Wheats aswell considering he's a CB!
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:14 am

Bloody hell wheaters finish was better than it looked from where I was sat!

jetsetwilly
Reliable
Reliable

Post by jetsetwilly » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:56 am

That's two, maybe three in a row that we have actually been the better side. Not sure what caused this turnaround but the side of late is unrecognisable from that which lost at Rochdale and Walsall. Trotter out, Madine in seem to change our outlook. Still think Madine is weak but is way better than Proctor in the PP tactic. Liked that yellow kit too, hope it goes on sale

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:49 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Point at Bury though!
Really? We're riding high and they're on the crest of a slump. Lost at home to Wimbledon last night. A colleague who went to their game v Rochdale at weekend says that they were absolutely awful. Listen to Flitcroft's post matcher and he hasn't a fecking clue. 2-0 to us.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:01 am

Really bad news re Thorpe. Derik - you're on, mate.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:07 am

Do we much on Thorpe yet? Looked like he rolled his ankle. As many on here know that can be anywhere from a couple of weeks to (a lad in my Saturday team has just been told) 4-6 months! Hopefully the less serious end! He looked OK while on last night, him and Spearing work well together. Still not sure what Derik is but he did ok in there, shuffled around and tidied up.

Not convinced Vela in that 10 role will always work, not sure he's got the final pass in him, but away from home it really helped having him hassle and harry high up the pitch (note to you, Nadine) and with Clough and Ameobi there if we win it high up we'll get chances. Vela looked a bit like Pratley with a first touch in there. Worked well away from home especially with an early goal. Not sure it is the answer at home to somebody who sit back with 11 behind the ball.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:16 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Point at Bury though!
Really? We're riding high and they're on the crest of a slump. Lost at home to Wimbledon last night. A colleague who went to their game v Rochdale at weekend says that they were absolutely awful. Listen to Flitcroft's post matcher and he hasn't a fecking clue. 2-0 to us.
Maybe. I mean be great if we went and smashed them and we're capable. Just think it is their cup final, on a smallish pretty poor pitch....and a local derby. All of which points to a draw.

Frankly 4 points would be great from Millwall and Bury, so a draw not the end of the world.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:30 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Point at Bury though!
Maybe. I mean be great if we went and smashed them and we're capable. Just think it is their cup final, on a smallish pretty poor pitch....and a local derby. All of which points to a draw.

Frankly 4 points would be great from Millwall and Bury, so a draw not the end of the world.
Certainly not the end of the world and yes, 4 points from two away games is a very good return. I just think that there will be games from which we come away with nowt, and if we are serious about doing anything then we have to take advantage of sides who are showing poor form, which Bury are.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:48 am

^^ Agree and as you say, you have to compensate for taking 3 points from 4 home games against Oxford (13th), Bradford (2nd), MK Dons (16th) and Southend (19th) all mainly lower half teams.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:02 am

Stop thinking League places, stop thinking it's Bury or anything else irrelevant, it's just another game to be won. Bury have been playing decently of late, but they're still Bury not Barcelona or Breightmet United. Be professional, score and keep them out. They'll try to beat us, they won't. 2 or 3 to us, 0 to them. Thank you for your time and attention... :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:05 am

Worthy4England wrote:^^ Agree and as you say, you have to compensate for taking 3 points from 4 home games against Oxford (13th), Bradford (2nd), MK Dons (16th) and Southend (19th) all mainly lower half teams.
Understand the sentiment, but we're third in the league and would be second but for goal difference. If you think we should be winning the league then aye, maybe we've dropped too many home points. But personally I think we'll do better away than at home this season. Teams raise their game at our place and are happy to sit back and frustrate. Which, usually has the desired effect as we aren't exactly free scoring. Away from home the little extra space we get means our better players can have that little extra time to make something happen.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:29 am

Number of points needed to finish top isn't as important as number of points needed to finish top-two. Haven't checked the tier-three history but you often get outliers who'll walk a league; the pace that matters more is for second (and sixth) place.

Match report on the way, BTW. Might ping it to you for front page, TD...