Checkatrade Trophy....it's tonight...

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Checkatrade Trophy....it's tonight...

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:42 am

V Cheltnham Town. ........
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

bedwetter2
Reliable
Reliable

Re: Checkatrade Trophy....it's tonight...

Post by bedwetter2 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:27 am

TANGODANCER wrote:V Cheltnham Town. ........
Exactly what is it? Never heard of it before.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:30 am

bedwetter2 wrote:
Do you know, I haven't the faintest idea apart from it's a football match and it's tonight. (I got it from the B.N and apparently Parky is taking it seriouisly, so.....Come on you Whites.... :wink:

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:36 am

I'm struggling to find a group table! Presumably we can go through still?

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:37 am

http://www.skysports.com/football/compe ... ophy/table" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tight!
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:44 pm

By my maths, either a win or a penalty win (oh do feck off, FA) defo sends us through. Defeat or pen loss defo sends us out. I think that's the same for all 4 teams.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:59 pm

bedwetter2 wrote:
its the EFL Trophy, formerly Freight Rover or Sherpa Van Trophy. was gonna go to this when i saw it on the fixture list but dont think ill bother.

although it might be fun to stand on the terrace at Whaddon Road and think about how 9 years earlier to day i was standing on the terrace at the Aliianz Area!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:52 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:
bedwetter2 wrote:
its the EFL Trophy, formerly Freight Rover or Sherpa Van Trophy. was gonna go to this when i saw it on the fixture list but dont think ill bother.

although it might be fun to stand on the terrace at Whaddon Road and think about how 9 years earlier to day i was standing on the terrace at the Aliianz Area!
When you say "fun"...

So, usual rules apply: we must include five from the previous game (Marc Iles checked and it's FA Cup not league) or five from the 11 players with the highest number of appearances.

Saturday: Howard, Wilson, Wheater, Beevers, A Taylor, Trotter, Perry, Ameobi, C Taylor, Clough, Proctor
2016/17: Top 10 starters are Howard, Wheater, Vela, Beevers, Spearing, Madine, Trotter, Moxey, Buxton, A Taylor - then Proctor, Clough, Henry and Wilson are all on 7 starts.

Parky, per BN:
We want to use the game to get some players who have been waiting patiently some game time. Keshi came on against Grimsby and worked really hard and there are other players who come into the same category. I have been thinking hard about the team because we have got the rule where five players have to play who featured on Saturday. But I think it’s an important game for us in terms of getting minutes into some of the players and giving them a proper chance to show what they can do.

People are giving us food for thought all the time. That isn’t a bad situation for a manager to be in. Josh will have his suspension out of the way, which I’m pleased with, so we should be able to have a look at a few other players in different positions and I’m looking forward to that.
Surprised he didn't start Alnwick against Grimsby (which would have allowed him to start against Cheltenham) but it was basically the first XI minus the injuries (Madine, Spearing, Thorpe/Derik) and suspended (Vela). Judging by those quotes I'd expect him to make as many changes as legally possible tonight, most probably in the front half of the team, although Moxey/Buxton might get in too as they're both in the "season-long" safe list.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:04 pm

8/11/2007 Bayern Munich vs Bolton Wanderers (Allianz Arena) UEFA Cup

8/11/2016 Cheltenham vs Bolton Wanderers (LCI Rail Stadium) Checkatrade Trophy - Northern Group A

:(
May the bridges I burn light your way

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:12 pm

Not sure ive ever been as pissed at a game as i was in munich! What a night!

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:21 pm

officer_dibble wrote:Not sure ive ever been as pissed at a game as i was in munich! What a night!

I still recall cheering when I realised the bars were open inside. I sobered up pretty quickly afterwards. Literally.

Also met Samhater outside the ground, bizarrely.

Great night. Great times. Still no idea why Podolski was taken off but bloody glad he was.

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:40 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:its the EFL Trophy, formerly Freight Rover or Sherpa Van Trophy. was gonna go to this when i saw it on the fixture list but dont think ill bother.

If it's that the reincarnation of that one I don't mind about it so much, I was thinking it was the league cup.

I missed the few years we were doing well; went from Sam being disappointed in the last minutes of time to Little Sam and his headset. Very jealous for everyone who went to the European games though.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:50 pm

Meanwhile at the Cheltenham Alianza...in front of a massive crowd...well, okay...we start as we mean to go on and almost give them a free on our box edge. Moxey.....oh, yes, I remember him, clears. Hey, hang on, we're Bolton remember...they have the audacity to attack. Throw them and....Taylor ,then Moxey clear. A bit of possesion involving Trottter then the homers have it back.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:01 pm

Wilson does well but it's cleared. A bad back pass causes a sharp intake of breath from micman but we clear. Free kick them but we take over and....have a bit of tip tap before losing possesion. Two throws us now then....one for them. Homers want to have a sally at us but Moxey knocks it out for a throw and.......they have a wallop from thury out and our keeper has to save. Corner them and we scramble it away.....eventually by clearing off the line. Our class will tell soon....
er, I think. A couple of throws later Wheater clears and sends us away...Anderson gets assalted from the rear but no cigar.
Buxton clears, we get a throw and....Moxey gets a mention. Oh, Bury are playing tonight so that's some excitement guaranteed. Moxey goes, Proctor gets a touch but it comes to naught. Free them about forty out and......Alnwick gathers comfortably. Lets go to the Bury game for an injection of euphoria.....and now we're back.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:08 pm

Goalie to goalie gets us off before they visit and....Wilson clears for a throw. Proctor gives one away and....and....we clear but not well. Henry goes now but gets slide-tackled and cleared. Mic man has a frog throat but doesn't need to raise his voice yet. Oh, it's raining by the way. Now then....Moxey throw, flicked in by Anderson then Vela picks up. Henry loses it and....they come at us and get a cross in. Throw them now then they have a chance but it's volleyed wide. Anderson wins a corner and....and....cleared and...back again and.....we get a deflected throw. Moxey and......the ref gives them a free kick. Off to wherever Bury are playing to find....nothing's happening.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:16 pm

A win needed here then, a throw and Alnwick gets a double helping of clearing his lines. Wheaer, Buxton, and they intercept and surge forth and.....get a throw and....this isn't sounding like a fireworks display. Another far out attempt and we clear. They come back and Alnwick has to save. We set off at the speed of light...well, 100 watt light and they have a goalkick. Trotter gives one away, to his surprise as he got the ball (mic man says) Now then.....Taylor and....they clear off the line...Corner us now and.....and.....Taylor and....they block Henry and clear. Free them and .....Vela not happy with the ref. And....cleared and...we have a throw. Moxey launches one and...their keeper has it.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:28 pm

Not folding easily then, these Robins chaps. Anderson, and...blocked for a throw. Henry then Vela have a dab. Vela again and we're in reverse. Mic man swears (he mentions penalty shootouts) then we go forth and almost reach halfway. Now they drive forward and....Alnwick grabs the ball. Visit Bury game...still as boring...then the sound fades off. Okay, back at the big game (cough) their keeper sends one out. Trotter shows his muscles and we go, but give away another free kick. Now...Dicky sniffs forth but we clear that and when we keepe hearing Wheater mentioned it mean we aren't in their box. Anderson and.....the keeper clears from Proctor. Forth they come and.....Walker....then a penalty attempt from Munns fails and we traverse and win a corner and...cleared. Vela gets free-kicked again but Referee Friend is resolute. All tick and tock
and to and fro right now. Proctor, Moxey and.....Henry slides one a long way wide.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:30 pm

Four mins to lemons and Lucozade time. Hope we're just playing cat and mouse with them and.....Alnwick has to come out to clear. Taylor throw and....ohhh, off the line from his shot but......the homers get a free kick for who knows what. Half time. 0-0.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:53 pm

We're away for part two and the light blues ( us) sally forth. Anderson's shot hacked clear by a defender and....a hand ball gets us a free kick. Throw them now and time for a quick couple of goals by the SDupers, but the Robins get a corner and ...now another says Mr Friend, although some may disagree. Alnwick clears but the move ends with a goal kick them . Moxey could have done better there claims micman. Offside gives us a free kick and mic man has a nine-year flashback before we go forth again. Trotter getting the good words and..we try again and.....ohhh Anderson heads one right in the keeper's reach. They break up another of our attacks and then Alnwick has to nip out and rob Walker. Ref takes no action and that bit ends up as a goal kick. Free kick them and....they attack and a shot goes wide.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:00 pm

Get a goal now lads, we don't want that penalty nonsense...do we...Wheater almost sets them up with a bad clearance and then has to redeem himself and set us off. Henry, Trotter, Moxey, Vela......Trotter again and....Moxey, Proctor, Trotter and...it's Wheater who has a shot. Throw now and....Henry, Taylor and......a goal kick them. Gee, I'm yawning here. Throw them and.....and.....Alnwick has to save. Corner them and.......and...Proctor clears.....and he goes again but they get it back. We have another do and Proctor sends on in that the keeper tips over. Taylor and.....Henry sends one wide.