Port out, starboard home? Landlocked Peterborough (A) 13/11

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

DJBlu
Site Admin

Re: Port out, starboard home? Landlocked Peterborough (A) 13

Post by DJBlu » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:05 pm

We've got what we deserved.

Truly awful display.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:12 pm

Absolutely didnnot deserve anything today. And you know what - we would have at least a point playing this badly if parkinson hadnt made such terrible decisions in the transfer window. He let two young lads go who carry more goal threat in their little fingers than the dogshit trio of procter anderson and henry. Absolute balls up that, only one of them got on (the midfielder); one of the 2 forwards not in the squad. Unfortunatley goalscorers cost in January so it could well be our undoing. fecking pointless having Anderson round though, he's blocking one of our youngsters in the reserves.

Vertigo
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Vertigo » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:14 pm

Couldn't hit a barn door today. Was Vela's the only shot on target?

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:18 pm

Vertigo wrote:Couldn't hit a barn door today. Was Vela's the only shot on target?
Aye

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:21 pm

Vertigo wrote:Couldn't hit a barn door today. Was Vela's the only shot on target?
The BBC website says that we had two but I've got no recollection of us managing a second.
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:33 pm

Wasn't goalscorers we needed today, Clough is a goalscorer, Ameobi can score, in fact it was somebody to get us near enough to be a threat. They, like every other team in the league must know by now that charging at us like madmen works. Live hand grenades doesn't come near our absolute panic at times at getting rid of the ball. They just muscled us off it every time. Our only plan seemed to wallop the ball forward at a defence who very easily handled anything that looked like a threat (was there anything?), yet that's what we did. The game was lost to one dipping shot with the sun right in the keeper's eyes. League leaders, promotion candidates? Not on this showing. We need to put this right behind and win a few games, we were never in this one and it was hardly Brazil we were playing. Oh, and the refereeing standards at the moment are total gash. What was that nonsewnse from Lopes on Ameobi in their box if it wasn't blatant off the ball fouling? Rubbish.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:37 pm

Didn't expect anything today as soon as I saw Trotter at his usual ambling self. Don't get me wrong he wasn't the only bad player, but it seems every time Trotter plays, the whole team play like him, as though we just sleepwalk through the game!! Anyway I switched Sky Sports off after 20 mins....awful

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:54 pm

Nah TD goalscorer exactly what we missed. Had them camped in second half and actually showed a bit of invention and got in good areas but then totally toothless. It's zach isn't on it I don't know who scores.

Seems like in our games whoever scores first wins.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:05 pm

twilight wrote:Didn't expect anything today as soon as I saw Trotter at his usual ambling self. Don't get me wrong he wasn't the only bad player, but it seems every time Trotter plays, the whole team play like him, as though we just sleepwalk through the game!!
I was the same, I thought that we'd struggle today as soon as I saw his name on the team sheet....although he wasn't the worst player on the pitch today but he's just so slow & lethargic it sets the tone for the team, there where at least 5 or 6 other Bolton players as bad today....Madine, Wilson, Alnwick, Vela, Thorpe & C Taylor were also very poor IMO

There was a lack of intensity & fight today and we had no pace & movement off the ball, in fact we are a poor team to watch if we don't score 1st - because they play at such a slow tempo and struggle to create chances, Parkinson isn't good at all tactically and has absolutely no plan B and can't change a game when we struggle.

I feel very sorry for the fans who travelled & paid to watch that shite today....appalling performance, P/Boro looked like the team who had been in the top 2 not us....they wanted it much more than our players did.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:20 pm

That didn't take long. It wasn't a good performance today, but we've won 6 on the bounce. It was bound to come a cropper sooner or later

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:28 pm

I think for *that* incident where he won the ball then let the lad win it back, Trotter was expecting Thorpe to take the ball. Not saying he was right to. Still slow of limb and brain, that man.

Other thoughts:
• Due to his obvious weaknesses Madine is utterly dependent on the support he gets.
• Parky tried to change it with his other two subs, and we looked a bit better when we got Zach central, but the subs themselves didn't amount to much.
• Ameobi has the skills but not the decision-making; I guess if he had both he wouldn't be here.
• Thorpe did OK, Trotter would be the one to drop now for Derik or Spearing.
• As long as you pronounce it right, you can't say "panic" without saying "Alnwick".
• Another defeat with very little goal threat.
• We came from behind to win twice in three games early on (Wimbledon and Fleetwood) but we needed to step it up far more and far earlier. Looked at times in the first half like we were hanging on not quite knowing what to do. They need to think more and change faster. This formation and mindset will see us win more than we lose but we need to be more reactive to events. There didn't seem to be a discernible Plan B, which allowed Peterborough to sit back and pick us off – although in their keenness to get on with it they didn't actually do that very well.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:30 pm

officer_dibble wrote:Absolutely didnnot deserve anything today. And you know what - we would have at least a point playing this badly if parkinson hadnt made such terrible decisions in the transfer window. He let two young lads go who carry more goal threat in their little fingers than the dogshit trio of procter anderson and henry. Absolute balls up that, only one of them got on (the midfielder); one of the 2 forwards not in the squad. Unfortunatley goalscorers cost in January so it could well be our undoing. fecking pointless having Anderson round though, he's blocking one of our youngsters in the reserves.
Woolery and who else?

Anyway, I think that's a bit harsh. If you look at the goalscoring records of Anderson and particularly Henry, there's plenty to say that there are goals there. It hasn't worked out to this point, but certainly if you played them across a season, I'd bet you'd get more goals out of that pair than you would Proctor/Taylor or Woolery/whoever.

We were bollocks though, and only ever looked like getting something through Ameobi, who was then taken off.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:33 pm

LeverEnd wrote:Good goal for them but thought Alnwick should have saved it.
Bollocks. He'd no chance. Beevers should have closed him down. Great technique but he should never have had either the time nor space to get that shot away.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:41 pm

Dont Pall-n-wick! Not with you there Bruce, thought he should have saved it, central and not that high.

Poor performance. How Chris Taylor gets paid for football is beyond me.

Great day of sport for the pub. We finish in time for the rugby in time fire the F1. Less said about the results mind. Presumably Lewis out at the first corner
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:47 pm

Harsh blaming Alnwick for the goal. We offered very little today, but then neither did they. They set up to get in our faces and try to nick something and their gameplan worked, as it did for Oxford and as it will be tried by almost everyone who plays us this year. Today we lacked that bit of quality. Onwards and upwards.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:59 pm

Prufrock wrote:not that high.
You need to see it again.

That aside, that wasn't a performance by a side going up. Very poor indeed.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:08 pm

Very very frustrating that. Madine tried but was poor. Clough and Ameobi who are our only sources of penetration had off days. Thorpe and Trotter were poor and 2nd best in the first half. And then Taylor comes on with less than 20mins left and spends the first five minutes trying to tie his bleeding shoelaces. It was at the end of one of his epic shoelace tying sessions our best chance came to him. He was clearly worn out mentally by the pesky shoelaces as he scooped it over the bar.

We need Osede and Spearing back, and we need more urgency in our next games...

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:15 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:

I have to say, I've seen it a few times and still think he should've been able to push it over the bar relatively comfortably. He was right in line with it.
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

Athertonian
Promising
Promising

Post by Athertonian » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:23 pm

What ever the Manager see's in Madine is beyond me. That c*nt is stealing a living, he's rubbish. He wouldn't get in Atherton colls team.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:24 pm

Nicko58 wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

I have to say, I've seen it a few times and still think he should've been able to push it over the bar relatively comfortably. He was right in line with it.
It was too high for him. Beevers was at fault.