They're not real lions, they're Dogs - Millwall (H) 19/11/16

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: They're not real lions, they're Dogs - Millwall (H) 19/1

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:47 pm

Some interesting PP quotes in the BN.
Spearing is back, he’s trained this week so that’s good news, we’ll have a look at how he is as the week draws to a close. Sammy [Ameobi] had a slight problem with his Achilles on Sunday but I thought he was back to his best in training today, he trained really, really well so that’s good.

Max Clayton is in the category of lads who are out of the team and have got to earn a place again, it’s as simple as that. We look at what he does in training and in the under-23s. We’re still waiting for that moment from Max – and one or two other players – to say ‘right, you’ve got to play me now.’

We have to pick a team we feel is the right one, and decide which players deserve the chance to play. We just have to make sure the ones out of the team are champing at the bit and can hide their disappointment at not being in the team and they do their talking with a performance on the pitch.

As the heavy pitches kick in through the season impact from the bench is absolutely huge, that’s one thing me and Steve [Parkin, assistant manager] have been talking about this week. We’re looking for more impact when we make substitutions, that’s what we’ll be saying to the lads who don’t make the starting XI on Saturday. We’re saying to them, we want more, if you look back every season goals and impact from the bench is important and we want more of that, we don’t think we’ve had enough of it yet. And it’s not one player, it’s maybe two or three, and it’s something we will be addressing close to kick-off.
And you can play your part, he says over here.
I expect a performance like we have had for most of the season, That’s in terms of an understanding of what’s required to get the result, in terms of the way Millwall play and enough of our players reaching the levels they have over the last six weeks or so.

When you’ve lost a game of football you look for a response from the players and the staff but the supporters as well because gradually as the season has gone on the support has got better and better, so this is a little test because we’ve just lost a game and we need people getting behind the boys, ready to play their part and help us get back to winning ways.

There’s always a test when you’ve lost a game of football and you need to respond for the next one. The supporters will come here understanding that, if we want to get to where we want to be this season it’s got to be a team effort.

We’ve just got to be ready to stand strong as a team. Neil [Harris, Miwwaw manager] has got back over the last couple of years to giving the fans what Millwall usually do, that kind of up and at ‘em type of style that got them to the play-off final last year. So you’ve got to be ready to win second balls all over the pitch and to be physical, you have to roll your sleeves up and respond to a defeat.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:25 pm

2-1 to us.

Fecking easy.
Businesswoman of the year.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:22 pm

You never hear "sadly Trotter has been forced to retire due to being found out."

This is a pressure game.

4-1 to Bolton.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:20 pm

They're not real lions, theyr'e dogs..in wigs... We will, of course, win. Mr Spearing, be the ringmaster/liontamer, but please don't get sent off. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:18 am

Just wondering what the weather's like up Hogwarts way? My back garden is an absolute sponge and the path flooded and it's coming down with a vengeance. Won't be too pleasant out there today on the hill with a likelihood of flat caps, snoods, scarves and gloves on show.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:22 pm

So what XI would you put out today, folks?

I'd go standard back four, Spearing and Thorpe, Clough-Vela-Sammy, Madine.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:44 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:So what XI would you put out today, folks?

I'd go standard back four, Spearing and Thorpe, Clough-Vela-Sammy, Madine.
Standard back four, Spearing and Derik, the usual front four. I just feel that Derik's a more dependable option than Thorpe.

Also hope that Alnwick's a damn sight better with a week of #1 prep than he showed he was with a surprise introduction last week. And it'll be interesting to see which of Jake Turner and Wee Jaaskelainen makes the bench.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:14 pm

truewhite15 wrote:Standard back four, Spearing and Derik, the usual front four. I just feel that Derik's a more dependable option than Thorpe.

Also hope that Alnwick's a damn sight better with a week of #1 prep than he showed he was with a surprise introduction last week. And it'll be interesting to see which of Jake Turner and Wee Jaaskelainen makes the bench.
MiniJussi is actually the elder, by seven months, but I'd expect Turner, of whom much has been said lately.

I understand your point on Derik and Thorpe, although in each case we'd be gauging reliability on a relatively small data sample - this season Derik has played 252 league minutes in defensive midfield, Thorpe 307, so we're judging each man on about three games' worth of time spread over a couple of months.

Hopefully there's more to come from each man, they both look capable of doing well alongside Spearing. All things being equal I might prefer Derik to Thorpe at home: the Spaniard has a better passing range, whereas I think Thorpe is actually the better centre-back. It was noticeable at The Den that Thorpe was happy to slot in as a third centre-back when necessary (such as defending throw-ins deep in our half). That can be very useful for a team - Eric Dier does it well for Spurs and England – and it could be useful for us against the somewhat direct Millwall today.

That said, I wouldn't be distraught if Derik played :D

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:19 pm

Derik is constantly injured is what I've heard. Picks up niggles every week.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:03 pm

WHEATER OUT KLAXON

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:06 pm

Alnwick, Wilson, Beevers, Derik, A Taylor, Spearing, Trotter, Vela, Ameobi, Clough, Madine.
Subs Jake Turner, Buxton, Moxey, Proctor, Anderson, Henry, Thorpe

I've assumed that Derik is centre-back, teamsheet just lists by number

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:39 pm

Beevers will have to play twice as hard and not let the defence get roughed up by these otherwise we're in for a long afternoon.

I can see the immobile Trotter standing in front of the back 4 adding a little strength as Derik is 5 stone piss wet through.

Going to change my prediction of 4-1 to 4-2 as we've lost Wheater and can see them getting a couple.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:53 pm

^ you think we're capable of scoring 4? :shock:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:55 pm

Just got back from a dog walk and the Hill is well covered in snow. Keep these southern softies on their toes. Bad news about Dave Wheater, but we're never a one man team. Radio lad reckons six-foot twelve Sammi can be the man for us today.

So then..COME ON YOU WHITES...... :oyea: :oyea: :oyea:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:01 pm

All the ads and stuff out of the way and a hot brew to hand. Get in there lads and play the game...And, ..Tony Kelly and Chris Price under the ear muffs and claiming a decent crowd (of which 400 are lion cubs) Off...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:10 pm

early throw to the visitors, then a free kick for a Madine handball. Mic lad has a ramble about Bury (they're playing the Wombles today) then they sally at us and get a cross that goes out for a goal kick. Taylor, Clough go, and Spearing hits a low flyer wide. Ameobi involved in defending then we break and....Wilson......then Ameobi hits a wild one. At least, a shooting chance.(that's two) We clear for throw and.....a dodgy back pass gives us another throw. Clough starts us off, but they clear. Trotter gets a "good afternoon, do you like yellow, well here's a card". Corner them now and Williams and...back in and Amneobi gives them another corner. Cleared for a throw via Spearing but the lions are doing the pressing. Gaol kick us.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:18 pm

Madine won the kick but they clear. Now Derik clears and that bit ends with a goal kick to us. Madine wins it, Sammi loses out but we get a throw. Troter feed Clough who brings Taylor in. Some possession from us then ...some more and Wilson and Derik do a "over to you Claude" before we press again........... and Spearing gives one away.

Free kick from our box and....some scores from mic man then......throw us and.....Troter, Spearing Taylor, Spearing again and now Clough and mic man claims we're going backwards too much. Anyhow.....Sammi wins one and ....and....the visitors clear. Clough shows a bit of skill then....mic lads have a chat, then.....Clough, Wilson, Sammi.....Taylor and.......it's 1-0 via VELA........ :oyea:

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:18 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:^ you think we're capable of scoring 4? :shock:
There's 1.

:D

Ding Dang Vela

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:19 pm

Sell him to Wigan, etc

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:20 pm

"Brilliant. superb volley" says micman about Vela's strike and goal (that's three on goal) Millwall throw now and ...some scores then.....the visitors sally and.....we get a goal kick.