Sky Blue Sinking - Coventry (H) 22/11

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Sky Blue Sinking - Coventry (H) 22/11

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:49 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Question for the match goer's: Did their keeper really pull off several miraculous saves, as the commentator indicated?
He made a couple of decent saves but most were straight at him and from distance, so, routine stuff for anyone but Ben Amos.

Alnwick had a very hairy moment though when he let a poor cross somehow squirm over his shoulder like someone had just soaped the ball
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:56 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Question for the match goer's: Did their keeper really pull off several miraculous saves, as the commentator indicated?
He made a couple of decent saves but most were straight at him and from distance, so, routine stuff for anyone but Ben Amos.

Alnwick had a very hairy moment though when he let a poor cross somehow squirm over his shoulder like someone had just soaped the ball
Okay, cheers. I'll keep on taking the Rennies then. :)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:17 am

officer_dibble wrote:For second it might be! Scunny look streets ahead - winning at a place we looked nowt like t'other week. Be interesting what a couple of injuries (like ours) would do to them.
Sheff Utd have matched them from game 4 or so haven't they?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:19 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:You can tell it's nervy when you're watching the official Twitter account - not quite Pravda, but certainly positive - and 14 of the last 16 action descriptions, from the 65th minutes onwards, are at Alnwick's end. (The two of ours: one was Henry's curling shot, the other was Proctor running it into the corner.)

Which is all nice and bonny and I'm very glad we can see things out, but you wonder what'd happen against a team with a decent striker. Winning by fine margins is a useful habit, but it's not always going to be possible to scrape by.

Still: onwards. And it's not like the other sides up the top are always winning by streets. 6 of our 11 wins have been by one goal; for Bradford it's 6 of their 9, for Blades 8 of their 11, even Scunny it's 6 of 13, so they're all at it. Look at Blades tonight against the bucket-shaking shitbags up the road. At the risk of enraging Norm, this one might be tight all the way...
Imagine what we'd be like if WE had a decent striker!

Also, yeah, get that Clough sold!

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:13 am

Prufrock wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:You can tell it's nervy when you're watching the official Twitter account - not quite Pravda, but certainly positive - and 14 of the last 16 action descriptions, from the 65th minutes onwards, are at Alnwick's end. (The two of ours: one was Henry's curling shot, the other was Proctor running it into the corner.)

Which is all nice and bonny and I'm very glad we can see things out, but you wonder what'd happen against a team with a decent striker. Winning by fine margins is a useful habit, but it's not always going to be possible to scrape by.

Still: onwards. And it's not like the other sides up the top are always winning by streets. 6 of our 11 wins have been by one goal; for Bradford it's 6 of their 9, for Blades 8 of their 11, even Scunny it's 6 of 13, so they're all at it. Look at Blades tonight against the bucket-shaking shitbags up the road. At the risk of enraging Norm, this one might be tight all the way...
Imagine what we'd be like if WE had a decent striker!

Also, yeah, get that Clough sold!
We've given him ample opportunity, but he doesn't seem to have gotten any taller. Get rid!

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:09 am

First half we were excellent on the most part. Second half, they put a man on Taylor to stop him giving the width which meant we lost a bit in the centre of the park. But we stood firm and I might be alone, but never thought we wouldn't win the game

We are so fantastically well drilled especially at home though and it was great to see. Early second half, Derik (whose touch is feckin horrendous by the way) charged out to intercept a pass and fvcked it up. Didn;t matter though, because as soon as he made his sprint, Wilson dropped into Centre half and Amebi slotted into RB with Madine going wide to keep the passing option alive. Pretty standard stuff, but it was like clockwork. Lovely
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:38 am

boltonboris wrote:First half we were excellent on the most part. Second half, they put a man on Taylor to stop him giving the width which meant we lost a bit in the centre of the park. But we stood firm and I might be alone, but never thought we wouldn't win the game

We are so fantastically well drilled especially at home though and it was great to see. Early second half, Derik (whose touch is feckin horrendous by the way) charged out to intercept a pass and fvcked it up. Didn;t matter though, because as soon as he made his sprint, Wilson dropped into Centre half and Amebi slotted into RB with Madine going wide to keep the passing option alive. Pretty standard stuff, but it was like clockwork. Lovely
That's sounding positive and like we have a football manager at long last....

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:38 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
boltonboris wrote:First half we were excellent on the most part. Second half, they put a man on Taylor to stop him giving the width which meant we lost a bit in the centre of the park. But we stood firm and I might be alone, but never thought we wouldn't win the game

Didn't you once tell me that it was up to players to sort out that type of organisation and that the manager couldn't do it for them? Or was that bish...get confused....

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:56 pm

I didn't share your optimism and was surprised that we won. Was convinced they would score 1 eventually as we got pegged further and further back. Handy that they were so far off target but also like you say the defending is so good that even when midfield gets overrun we prevent clear cut chances and limit them to half chances by getting bodies in the way. That is massively to Parky's credit.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:06 pm

Doesn't matter who you play, if you create a lot but only score 1, at some point things get edgy. We're very good currently at keeping clean sheets. But there will be a point where we have something go against us and a goal or two go in.

Our weakness is clear, a lack of goals across the team. Clough feels like he can score, but he is guilty of missing quite a few too. After that in a regular game, I struggle to back many of the others to score relatively regularly. Vela seems to be shooting a little more which is good. Still can't see him getting much past double figures, if he makes that.

To be honest I'd rather have that as a weakness than a soft underbelly that we've got rid of in the main it seems. But still given others are doing very well in this league and the surprise of Scunny doing so well, it does mean that I think we'd need to strengthen further in January if we want to be serious contenders for the top 2.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:24 pm

I think if we can get a physical striker in on loan, we must. That has to be the priority.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:25 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

Didn't you once tell me that it was up to players to sort out that type of organisation and that the manager couldn't do it for them? Or was that bish...get confused....
Since I very rarely go to games any more I also rarely make telling comments, just observations. What I said is hardly controversial, and anyway, you change your mind and views more often than the weather. :wink:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:26 pm

boltonboris wrote:I think if we can get a physical striker in on loan, we must. That has to be the priority.
Agreed. One who doesn't necessarily have to be able to score 20 a season, but get to 12-15. Ideally one who can move defenders around a bit too.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:38 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
boltonboris wrote:I think if we can get a physical striker in on loan, we must. That has to be the priority.
Agreed. One who doesn't necessarily have to be able to score 20 a season, but get to 12-15. Ideally one who can move defenders around a bit too.
We just need a striker who's better than Madine, which can't be that difficult to find because he's absolutely shite (IMO) or at least a striker who can hit the ball cleanly at goal with some composure - every time Madine tries to shoot he either misses the ball or scuffs it.

And Procter's composure on the ball is even worse....

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:40 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Yep. Any form of goal regularity would be better than Madine. He does a job as you allude to, but his profligacy will cost us points. He just cannot do anything in and around the box

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:40 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Vela seems to be shooting a little more which is good. Still can't see him getting much past double figures, if he makes that.
I'd be impressed if he got into treble figures :D

As an aside, I looked at the HT stats and we'd got all 6 of our attempts on target (Cov had 1 of their 7, I think). We ended up with 7 on target from 10 overall, so just 1 in the second half.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:47 pm

Absolutely no idea who we might get on loan mind. Only name that came to mind is that Ashley Fletcher but seems he's been playing for West Ham which I didn't expect.

Someone physical and mobile who wants to get on the end of things would be nice. We're obviously not going to get a world-beater but Madine doesn't offer enough.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:48 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Vela seems to be shooting a little more which is good. Still can't see him getting much past double figures, if he makes that.
I'd be impressed if he got into treble figures :D

As an aside, I looked at the HT stats and we'd got all 6 of our attempts on target (Cov had 1 of their 7, I think). We ended up with 7 on target from 10 overall, so just 1 in the second half.
Any stats to say how many touches of the ball we had in their box second half compared to first?

We didn't really get near the box too often second half, so were shooting from further out.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:10 pm

Prufrock wrote:Absolutely no idea who we might get on loan mind. Only name that came to mind is that Ashley Fletcher but seems he's been playing for West Ham which I didn't expect.

Someone physical and mobile who wants to get on the end of things would be nice. We're obviously not going to get a world-beater but Madine doesn't offer enough.
Not many around. Gestede at Villa doesn't seem to be playing much under Bruce. He is just coming back from a bad injury, but if we can afford transfer fees, which seem highly doubtful, Lee Angol at Peterborough looks promising. It is hard to see us going up in the top two if we lose Clough, and don't improve on Madine.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:32 pm

Decent highlights....http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/ ... 1-12218425" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;