Ken Anderson - Old Owner (Definitely. For Ever ..... )

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Ken Anderson - New Owner (Definitely. For Now ..... )

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:11 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:54 pm
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:21 pm
Lets introduce some expertise into this conversation :)

http://brandfinance.com/images/upload/b ... _6th_1.pdf

So interesting brand values according to this report are: Burnley £148m, Bournemouth £220m, WBA £222m, Newcastle £247m, Southampton £269m, West Ham £303m.

It should be noted that brand value doesn't equal what a club might be sold for. There are articles out there suggesting that Jeremy Peace sold 88% of WBA in 2016 having previously demanded £150m, and 80% of Southampton was recently sold valuing the club at £200m.

I think from the report we can safely say crowd size and ground capacity have at best only a negligible effect. Bournemouth get 11000, Newcastle 52000, yet their values are close. Southampton at 30000ish crowds are valued at more than Newcastle. It also confirms that £20m-£30m for us, if that is indeed what it would cost, represents a lot of upwards potential if we could sort things on the pitch. And surely if Newcastle are a brand valued at £247m, then Sunderland wouldn't be worth more, and we represent a way better investment prospect, if their owner wants £90m as has been reported?
That report though is a snapshot of where clubs are. Our potential is probably aligned somewhere close to Watford or Burnley or Palace. Not Newcastle or Southampton.

Thats the point. Our ceiling isn't as high as other clubs. And if you look in the championship there are many city clubs who would command a wider brand than ourselves if success was obtained.
Not WBA?? Or Swansea (£226m), Or Stoke (£227m). Why are West Brom a potentially bigger brand than we are? Similar crowds, we have a slightly bigger and a better ground with more commercial potential, we probably right now have a bigger international profile due to our years in Europe and being near the top of the Prem, granted that is becoming more and more not the case the further into the ether of time it drifts. Nevertheless if we got up to the Prem and avoided relegation for a couple of seasons, then I would personally class us with the WBAs and the Stokes, rather than the Watfords and the Burnleys. It is also possible that Watford and Burnley would increase their brand value if they were considered stable in the Premiership and not likely to go down. Regardless it is hard to not see our potential brand value at £150m+ which looks to me a decent gamble for a wealthy investor looking to get into football.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:03 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:11 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:

So interesting brand values according to this report are: Burnley £148m, Bournemouth £220m, WBA £222m, Newcastle £247m, Southampton £269m, West Ham £303m.

It should be noted that brand value doesn't equal what a club might be sold for. There are articles out there suggesting that Jeremy Peace sold 88% of WBA in 2016 having previously demanded £150m, and 80% of Southampton was recently sold valuing the club at £200m.

I think from the report we can safely say crowd size and ground capacity have at best only a negligible effect. Bournemouth get 11000, Newcastle 52000, yet their values are close. Southampton at 30000ish crowds are valued at more than Newcastle. It also confirms that £20m-£30m for us, if that is indeed what it would cost, represents a lot of upwards potential if we could sort things on the pitch. And surely if Newcastle are a brand valued at £247m, then Sunderland wouldn't be worth more, and we represent a way better investment prospect, if their owner wants £90m as has been reported?
That report though is a snapshot of where clubs are. Our potential is probably aligned somewhere close to Watford or Burnley or Palace. Not Newcastle or Southampton.

Thats the point. Our ceiling isn't as high as other clubs. And if you look in the championship there are many city clubs who would command a wider brand than ourselves if success was obtained.
Not WBA?? Or Swansea (£226m), Or Stoke (£227m). Why are West Brom a potentially bigger brand than we are? Similar crowds, we have a slightly bigger and a better ground with more commercial potential, we probably right now have a bigger international profile due to our years in Europe and being near the top of the Prem, granted that is becoming more and more not the case the further into the ether of time it drifts. Nevertheless if we got up to the Prem and avoided relegation for a couple of seasons, then I would personally class us with the WBAs and the Stokes, rather than the Watfords and the Burnleys. It is also possible that Watford and Burnley would increase their brand value if they were considered stable in the Premiership and not likely to go down. Regardless it is hard to not see our potential brand value at £150m+ which looks to me a decent gamble for a wealthy investor looking to get into football.

Possibly. We're closest to Burnley in that list. A Northern town club.

When you look at it, you wonder why some mad rich Arab hasn't bought Newcastle...imagine the adulation if someone got that club winning trophies...even just one. I suspect part of the reason is Geography. People don't want to be in the North East...arguably they don't want to be in North West Towns either...

Manchester, Birmingham, London and South Coast are probably most desirable in those terms.

All I'm saying is that there are clubs with far more potential than us who could be bought out. We're probably not high on your average "rich man wanting a football club" list. Granted we may be cheap, but equally we need a heck of an investment to make it to the premiership. Whereas you could buy a sure thing - for probably the same amount it would take to give us a shot. And you could do it at a club with bigger fanbase and a wider potential international footprint.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:12 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:03 pm

All I'm saying is that there are clubs with far more potential than us who could be bought out. We're probably not high on your average "rich man wanting a football club" list. Granted we may be cheap, but equally we need a heck of an investment to make it to the premiership. Whereas you could buy a sure thing - for probably the same amount it would take to give us a shot. And you could do it at a club with bigger fanbase and a wider potential international footprint.
So who are you referring to, that is up for sale? I can't think of anybody apart from Sunderland. And as I said I think we are a better bet than them. Most other big Championship clubs have recently been bought, or are not known to be for sale.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:02 pm

Blimey, are you football fans or brand consultants? You're worse than those eejits that bang on about biggest clubs. You'll be talking about playing the Bolton way next :roll:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:39 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:09 pm
For me we're in with West Brom, Fulham - clubs with lots of competition around the them, bigger neighbours and a very definitive ceiling.
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:

So interesting brand values according to this report are: (...) WBA £222m
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Our potential is probably aligned somewhere close to Watford or Burnley or Palace.
No wonder we can't score if the goalposts keep moving... :D

Rjs37
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Rjs37 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:38 pm

Prior to Holdsworth coming in with his pay-day loan and finding Ken Anderson to secure the other half, how long had we been looking for someone to buy the club? According to Davies, he and Gartside had been trying to peddle the club for at least several years.

We couldn't find a buyer during our decline to the Championship. We couldn't find a buyer when Davies was willing to wipe out the debts and was selling the club for peanuts. Why would they now be interested with the situation we're in? Yes we'll be available at a cut-price but there's a lot of short term debt hanging over us with this pay-day loan, plus that (our low value) didn't seem to help us last time around.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing I'd like to see more (other than us score a goal), but to suggest that we're an appealing prospect for investors is quite laughable to me.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:50 pm

I didn't say we were an appealing prospect. I just pointed out that canny millionaire/billionaire investors might just make (an even bigger) killing.
Obviously there is nobody out there at the moment with both the dosh and the cajones to make it work. Which is a shame.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:24 pm

Might be worth considering what a billion pounds, even a few million, will earn in interest per year at 3%. With that sort of yield, even after tax, you have an awful lot of money to play with, whatever you choose to do with it. It does show why Abramovitch and co can afford to buy football clubs.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:26 pm

Let's be honest here, other than about 10 clubs you'd have to be a mug or total tool to own one unless it was almost, aka Ken, given to you.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:35 pm

Whys Ken so upset at the ground being listed as a possible community asset? It's not because his only way to turn a tidy profit would be to sell the ground is it?

Genuine question
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:43 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:35 pm
Whys Ken so upset at the ground being listed as a possible community asset? It's not because his only way to turn a tidy profit would be to sell the ground is it? Genuine question
Not a question I can answer, but surely it has to look like an unshackled asset as a bargaining tool to business/real estate interests is one answer? . As a community asset all sorts of legal barriers and hurdles would be in the way of a direct buy out. It looks like getting the ground community asset free may be a condition buyers are insisting on?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:42 am

Rjs37 wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:38 pm
Prior to Holdsworth coming in with his pay-day loan and finding Ken Anderson to secure the other half, how long had we been looking for someone to buy the club? According to Davies, he and Gartside had been trying to peddle the club for at least several years.

We couldn't find a buyer during our decline to the Championship. We couldn't find a buyer when Davies was willing to wipe out the debts and was selling the club for peanuts. Why would they now be interested with the situation we're in? Yes we'll be available at a cut-price but there's a lot of short term debt hanging over us with this pay-day loan, plus that (our low value) didn't seem to help us last time around.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing I'd like to see more (other than us score a goal), but to suggest that we're an appealing prospect for investors is quite laughable to me.
Indeed. But why let reality get in the way....

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:59 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:43 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:35 pm
Whys Ken so upset at the ground being listed as a possible community asset? It's not because his only way to turn a tidy profit would be to sell the ground is it? Genuine question
Not a question I can answer, but surely it has to look like an unshackled asset as a bargaining tool to business/real estate interests is one answer? . As a community asset all sorts of legal barriers and hurdles would be in the way of a direct buy out. It looks like getting the ground community asset free may be a condition buyers are insisting on?
That's what Ken wants us to believe.
What evidence do we have that this is true? He is willing to jeopardise everything to protect his profit margin. He doesn't care what state the club is left in. He'll keep gambling until he makes a killing or is forced to walk away leaving the club in a state.
I think he's screwed now. He repeatedly mentioned investment that has never materialised, and consequently the club has taken on more debt, failed to invest in the squad and he'll be left with a debt ridden div 3 club which doesn't own its own ground and is worth feck all. Longer he stays the closer we get to turning into Coventry City.
We are truly fecked. It's depressing thinking about it never mind endlessly posting on here. It's time to sit back, watch the car crash and hope it isn't fatal.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:34 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:24 pm
Might be worth considering what a billion pounds, even a few million, will earn in interest per year at 3%. With that sort of yield, even after tax, you have an awful lot of money to play with, whatever you choose to do with it. It does show why Abramovitch and co can afford to buy football clubs.
At 3% interest, a million quid in the bank gives you £30,000 per year, or a fortnight of Ben Amos's wage.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:06 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:34 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
At 3% interest, a million quid in the bank gives you £30,000 per year, or a fortnight of Ben Amos's wage.
I thought it was more then that, but then again, someone with just one million wouldn't be in the race. A billion however...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:21 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:06 am
Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:34 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
I thought it was more then that, but then again, someone with just one million wouldn't be in the race. A billion however...
Yeah, I know what you mean on both counts. When I was a lad, a millionaire never had to work again, could live on the interest. Now, with savers sacrificed to macro economics, that interest is only just above the average wage – a real-world concept that football long since abandoned.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:58 am

Ken's latest missive.
https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2017/octobe ... chairman2/
Finally, I’d like to note that having seen the recent Supporters’ Direct statement neither the club nor l will be making any further comments until the outcome of the ACV hearing is known. However, ((another 174 words))

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:48 am

Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:58 am
Ken's latest missive.
https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2017/octobe ... chairman2/
Finally, I’d like to note that having seen the recent Supporters’ Direct statement neither the club nor l will be making any further comments until the outcome of the ACV hearing is known. However, ((another 174 words))
Was going to post similar.

"I won't be making any further comment" "inserts further comment".

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:12 pm

"neither the club nor l will be making any further comments until the outcome of the ACV hearing is known" he said, immediately before going off on one!
May the bridges I burn light your way

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:51 pm

My worry is, they've defaulted on a loan, secured against assets and they're willing to let the ground go, in order so that they don't have to repay the debt.

That's my hunch and it's shared by a few, that I know of.

We need to keep the ground
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"