Ken Anderson - Old Owner (Definitely. For Ever ..... )

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Ken Anderson - New Owner (Definitely. For Now ..... )

Post by TonyDomingos » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:48 pm

Enoch wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:34 pm
Indeed it doesn't, looks a lot like the '80s though.

And a large part of the '70s!
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:03 am

TonyDomingos wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:48 pm
Enoch wrote:

And the 90s. McAteer, Stubbs, Curcic, Thompson, they all had their price and were sold when someone bid it.

Not to mention Per Frandsen, obvz.

But then everyone has a price. Like when Fergie said he "wouldn't sell a virus" to Cristiano-chasing Real Madrid, then sold Cristiano to Real Madrid.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:12 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:03 am
TonyDomingos wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:48 pm
Enoch wrote:

And the 90s. McAteer, Stubbs, Curcic, Thompson, they all had their price and were sold when someone bid it.

Not to mention Per Frandsen, obvz.

But then everyone has a price. Like when Fergie said he "wouldn't sell a virus" to Cristiano-chasing Real Madrid, then sold Cristiano to Real Madrid.

£4M, usually.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:49 am

Jensen and Gudjohnsen into the 2000s.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:56 am

Kevin Nolan.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Jim_McDonuts
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jim_McDonuts » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:50 pm

Peter Reid :)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:52 pm

Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:37 pm

Ex-player payment issue sorted. Don't think there's anything else for the time being...?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:43 pm

Ken's had another meltdown...

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2018/octobe ... -chairman/
A lot has been mentioned in the local press about ‘off field financial problems’ which is getting increasingly frustrating. It seems to be repeated in every article at the moment yet they seem to forget where the club was financially two years ago.
The continuous negativity about the ‘financial problems’ and the manager’s perceived defensive style of play does not help anyone and hopefully the people concerned will move on and write about some of the positives going forward for a change.
I do accept the media’s right to be an independent voice but I do not understand certain individuals’ apparent need to regularly repeat the same negativity on an almost daily basis both in print and on social media.
I agree. I mean we've been run stably, haven't been close to a problem. Its not like we've had strings of unpaid bills, public disputes, winding up orders and an announcement of administration made by our owner....oh hang on.....

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:25 pm

He has a fair point about home attendances, and I said a few weeks ago on another thread that in my opinion the number of home fans looked to have gone down this season - but I was told by a few on here that I was wrong, so perhaps KA is misinformed ?

I have been supportive of Mr Anderson since he came to the club, but if him, his son or someone at the club monitor the Bolton forums I would offer the following advice:

1. Reduce the match day ticket prices as currently they are ridiculously high for both home & away support £31-£33 a ticket is way over the top for championship football, especially the generally poor quality of football that we have played to date at home this season (Derby apart, as I didn't go so I can't comment on the style / quality of football but from all accounts it was much better)

2. Start putting a significant sum of your own money into the club and show the fans that you will put your money where your mouth is....KA asking fans to shell out £31 a game, whilst at the same time not putting any of his own money into the club - or when he does he apparently takes it back at a later date.

3. It was only a few weeks ago that Mr Anderson was quite willing to let the club go into administration, and if it wasn't for Eddie Davies we would have been....

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:50 pm

Season ticket sales are probably the same as last season, but there are next to no walk-ins paying for individual match tickets

If I didn't have a season ticket, there's absolutely no way I would have gone on Saturday and even less chance that I'd be there against Blackburn

I know it's the old cliche, but for a dad and lad to say "let's go on Saturday" would be costing £70+ - That's ridiculous for a club like ours in a town like Bolton. It ain't gonna happen
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:59 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:25 pm
He has a fair point about home attendances, and I said a few weeks ago on another thread that in my opinion the number of home fans looked to have gone down this season - but I was told by a few on here that I was wrong, so perhaps KA is misinformed ?

I have been supportive of Mr Anderson since he came to the club, but if him, his son or someone at the club monitor the Bolton forums I would offer the following advice:

1. Reduce the match day ticket prices as currently they are ridiculously high for both home & away support £31-£33 a ticket is way over the top for championship football, especially the generally poor quality of football that we have played to date at home this season (Derby apart, as I didn't go so I can't comment on the style / quality of football but from all accounts it was much better)

2. Start putting a significant sum of your own money into the club and show the fans that you will put your money where your mouth is....KA asking fans to shell out £31 a game, whilst at the same time not putting any of his own money into the club - or when he does he apparently takes it back at a later date.

3. It was only a few weeks ago that Mr Anderson was quite willing to let the club go into administration, and if it wasn't for Eddie Davies we would have been....
I largely agree with this. The attendance was disappointing on Saturday, 12200 home fans, I would say that is the first significant drop in our home attendance this season. Until now we have had about 13000 home fans each game which is standard over the last few seasons.

Our ticket prices are way too high. For a family it is costing £100+ to watch one home match, when you factor in travel and food. If they enjoy it, one would want them to be tempted to do it again for the next game. Yet how much does it cost to go to the cinema for an afternoon/evening? Where they know what level of entertainment they are getting and are guaranteed to be warm?

We still haven't had an explanation for what went on with the Blumarble debacle. It is hard to come up with a narrative that doesn't paint Ken in a very bad, if not sinister light based on all the publicly known information. Maybe the drop in home support for the Derby game is reflective of this? Why would fans pay over the top prices when the owner who acquired the club for nothing, is apparently content to let it die? How can any non ST holder get enthusiastic about our prospects when we have the kind of owner that never puts a penny in, doesn't pay the smallest or largest of bills, and is content to receive the negative publicity that it brings?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:34 pm

You might get away with the ticket prices if we were spending large sums at seriously looking at an expectation of the top 6. But we aren’t and therefore you cannot.

I think £25 is about top end for midtable championship football. I’m enjoying this season a lot so far. But no way I’d pay 30 odd quid for Saturday if that was the choice.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:05 pm

Ken wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:43 pm
I do not understand certain individuals’ apparent need to regularly repeat the same negativity on an almost daily basis
Peter wrote:
if him, his son or someone at the club monitor the Bolton forums
You might be forgiven for thinking they do.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:47 pm

So, just two days after beating one of the better teams in the league, in which we put in one of our best performances, and which leaves us just one point away from the play-off places, our Chairman has decided to issue a public statement firing barbs at the local media, the manager, and the supporters. Fantastic.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:10 pm

I’m assuming it’s a dig at iles in part. To be fair to him he only reported BM right at the death and I think he’s been fairly consistent since. We were poor against Sheff U and QPR...the signs were more promising in the latter.

My main issue with it is it’s only a couple of weeks since Ken himself posted his latest notes about our financial mess and being on the brink of admin...what the feck* feck did he expect people would then write about us? I’ve lost count of the number of times I have had to explain about why I don’t think we were heading into admin, rather Ken was making a very ballsy move to non Bolton fans. You live by the sword you die by the sword...or at least you listen to people writing about it anyway.

Ticket prices I sympathise. Would we make more money at £25 top price? Not sure. It’s far more reasonable granted but we are really well priced for ST’s and it’s those fans who should be respected. How do we compare to Birmingham, Ipswich, Rovers?

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:56 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:10 pm
I’m assuming it’s a dig at iles in part. To be fair to him he only reported BM right at the death and I think he’s been fairly consistent since. We were poor against Sheff U and QPR...the signs were more promising in the latter.

My main issue with it is it’s only a couple of weeks since Ken himself posted his latest notes about our financial mess and being on the brink of admin...what the feck feck did he expect people would then write about us? I’ve lost count of the number of times I have had to explain about why I don’t think we were heading into admin, rather Ken was making a very ballsy move to non Bolton fans. You live by the sword you die by the sword...or at least you listen to people writing about it anyway.

Ticket prices I sympathise. Would we make more money at £25 top price? Not sure. It’s far more reasonable granted but we are really well priced for ST’s and it’s those fans who should be respected. How do we compare to Birmingham, Ipswich, Rovers?

Rovers' adult ticket prices for a Category A match are between £24 and £31 (tickets also available at £27 and £29). For Category B matches, it's between £21 and £28, and for Category C matches it's between £19 and £27. Conversely, when we play them at home on Saturday, in a televised fixture, the cheapest adult ticket is £31. I repeat, that's for the cheapest adult ticket.

Rovers's ticket prices, interestingly enough, seem to be roughly what ours were before they were recently hiked. I've argued with people in the past that reducing our ticket prices will just mean reducing our matchday revenue, and that matchday revenue accounts for a much bigger percentage of overall turnover the lower down the football pyramid we fall, but I think that argument only holds when people are debating reducing ticket prices to around the £10 - £15 level. When they are as high as they are now, it's fair enough, in my opinion, to resist paying that kind of money. It might not seem a very high increase compared to what Rovers are charging above, but I think that when it gets above £30 it's not necessarily just about affordability, it's also about perceived value. As others have posted, I also have a season ticket but would definitely have stayed at home at the weekend if I had to pay the price of a matchday ticket.
Last edited by nicholaldo on Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:58 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:47 pm
So, just two days after beating one of the better teams in the league, in which we put in one of our best performances, and which leaves us just one point away from the play-off places, our Chairman has decided to issue a public statement firing barbs at the local media, the manager, and the supporters. Fantastic.
Pretty much. Ridiculous.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:21 pm

Enoch wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:05 pm
Ken wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:43 pm
I do not understand certain individuals’ apparent need to regularly repeat the same negativity on an almost daily basis
Peter wrote:
if him, his son or someone at the club monitor the Bolton forums
You might be forgiven for thinking they do.

:pray: :lol:
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:04 am

I don't think Ken is claiming the BM stuff shouldn't have been covered. Seems to me more like he's complaining that it has been mentioned a lot afterwards, and to be fair Marc Iles has mentioned it a lot in the manner of "after the week Wanderers have had, with BluMarble, Darby's MND and Eddie's death" way. It's usually been in an understanding or impressed way, but I don't think Ken likes finance being listed as part of the problem, which is a bit like someone with rank flatulence complaining about an open window. The BluMarble loan wasn't Ken's fault but it was his job to sort it, and again we were minutes from admin. As a side-effect, once again players went unpaid and once again that made the news, rightly so. If he doesn't want it mentioned, he should do a better job of keeping it off the news agenda.