Ken Anderson - Old Owner (Definitely. For Ever ..... )

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Ken Anderson - New Owner (Definitely. For Now ..... )

Post by jmjhb » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:45 pm

Today’s lack of transfer business is very disappointing and wasn’t for the lack of trying but as I have always maintained we shall never enter into a bidding war for a player whose price escalates beyond our own valuation.

Unfortunately, this has meant that we missed out on our striker targets ahead of Thursday’s deadline insofar as two have signed elsewhere and one has not moved. Obviously, this is very disappointing but, under my watch, this club shall never repeat the mistakes of the past and we will continue to operate on a commercial and financially prudent basis.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:18 pm

jmjhb wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:45 pm
Today’s lack of transfer business is very disappointing and wasn’t for the lack of trying but as I have always maintained we shall never enter into a bidding war for a player whose price escalates beyond our own valuation.

Unfortunately, this has meant that we missed out on our striker targets ahead of Thursday’s deadline insofar as two have signed elsewhere and one has not moved. Obviously, this is very disappointing but, under my watch, this club shall never repeat the mistakes of the past and we will continue to operate on a commercial and financially prudent basis.
Whilst that makes sense, it sounds like a GCSE English essay written by someone who is on for a D grade.

"this club shall"... :whack:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:26 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:18 pm
jmjhb wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:45 pm

Whilst that makes sense, it sounds like a GCSE English essay written by someone who is on for a D grade.

"this club shall"... :whack:
Churchillian? :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:30 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:26 pm
Churchillian? :wink:
Chinchillian. His statements are like someone threw a small mammal at a keyboard and posted the result. Someone gets paid to do those. Or, someone bills Ken and waits...

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:34 pm

GMR interview with KA from yesterday if anyone is interested

Interesting that there is no mention of outside investment.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06h89bl

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:37 pm

Also, Jack being Jack, he didn't press him on the sums. KA saying he's put money in to cover wages doesn't deal with how much he also takes out. So if he were taking out less money, would he even need to put any in? If he's putting money in as loans to the club, is he then actually making money from a cash shortfall he's created by taking money out of the club? Financial shenanigans dressed up as largesse, it seems to me from my limited knowledge of the finances; but could be wrong.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:35 pm

Worthy ( one of the many regulars we seem to have lost recently) in a guest appearance did an analysis of the money they were taking out a few weeks ago. It was pretty hefty % wise
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:43 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:34 pm
GMR interview with KA from yesterday if anyone is interested

Interesting that there is no mention of outside investment.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06h89bl
Did I dream it or did I see in the past couple of weeks that he's again ended all current investment discussions?

palindromeofbolton
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by palindromeofbolton » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:09 pm

^ Yes. The Saudi lot ended up going for someone else, iirc, while at least two if not all three of the others (think he said four in total at one point) couldn't prove they had the mullah. In one case it appears that zeros were added to a bank statement using Microsoft Paint and he was going get them time-shifted back to the days of the French Revolution and get them beheaded etc. etc.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:26 pm

palindromeofbolton wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:09 pm
^ Yes. The Saudi lot ended up going for someone else, iirc, while at least two if not all three of the others (think he said four in total at one point) couldn't prove they had the mullah.
Presumably the Saudis had a lot of Mullahs.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:19 am

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:35 pm
Worthy ( one of the many regulars we seem to have lost recently) in a guest appearance did an analysis of the money they were taking out a few weeks ago. It was pretty hefty % wise
Naive to think KA would not be taking something from this. He's not doing this work for free. And ultimately is a businessman. I don't have much issue with what he's done to date. The failing (if you want to call it that) is that he's not managed to find investment or sell it. And we know that whilst he's cut the costs and probably with his bridging loans can keep us going a while, it cannot go on for ever. Lets see if he pays the BM loan.

I don't have an issue with the amounts going out IF long term we end up in a better place with owners/investors able to offer some at least moderate investment into the team. My worry is that we seem still miles away from that inspite of improvements on the pitch. Considerable improvements and more financial stability. Doesn't seem like anyone is queuing up to propel us forwards. And at some point (could be this season or next or the one after) luck won't go our way and we'll be back in league one. Not sure what happens then beyond oblivion!

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:43 am

A business owners financial reward should be the profits
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:22 pm

This is basically the written highlights from the interview posted above:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45169678

My thoughts:

I am pleased that we are now officially making a small profit in the last financial year (will be up to June 30th). It also makes sense with previous statements from Ken, and previous reporting, meaning our finances are starting to make some sense.

It will be interesting to see what our standard operating loss now is. Last season Ken stated it was £5m - £6m. Since then we have seen reports of termination of ongoing contracts with agents, increased income from the stadium naming rights deal, income from concerts and the Rugby, better performance from the hotel. It seems to me we have also reduced the wage bill slightly.

Ken states that we will be paying the Blumarble loan off. That is £4m to add onto the operating loss, unless Ken finds a way of spreading the cost.

Whilst Ken states he is putting money in each month (find that hard to believe, some months yes, each month no) to cover wages, he is almost certainly taking it back out, meaning little or no net investment. This year our operating loss is likely to demand substantial investment, or significant player sales to cover it.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:33 pm

Seeing the broad picture without knowing details (or wanting to as my interest is purely football) of where the future lies financialy, I'd say K.A has stabilised the club and cleared the air on at least some fronts. At least the desperation everybody felt has eased and we seem to have the ambition to go onwards and upwards. For that, I'd say well done K.A.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:48 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:22 pm

My thoughts:

I am pleased that we are now officially making a small profit in the last financial year (will be up to June 30th). It also makes sense with previous statements from Ken, and previous reporting, meaning our finances are starting to make some sense.

It will be interesting to see what our standard operating loss now is. Last season Ken stated it was £5m - £6m. Since then we have seen reports of termination of ongoing contracts with agents, increased income from the stadium naming rights deal, income from concerts and the Rugby, better performance from the hotel. It seems to me we have also reduced the wage bill slightly.

Ken states that we will be paying the Blumarble loan off. That is £4m to add onto the operating loss, unless Ken finds a way of spreading the cost.

Whilst Ken states he is putting money in each month (find that hard to believe, some months yes, each month no) to cover wages, he is almost certainly taking it back out, meaning little or no net investment. This year our operating loss is likely to demand substantial investment, or significant player sales to cover it.
I'm sure that KA said in his interview over the weekend, that he expects the Blumarble loan to be paid off as planned and that we will also make a small profit this year.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:37 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:48 pm
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:22 pm

My thoughts:

I'm sure that KA said in his interview over the weekend, that he expects the Blumarble loan to be paid off as planned and that we will also make a small profit this year.
Profit this year. As in up to 30th June. BM will be in next years accounts. Jury is out.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:11 am

The test will come IF (big if) we pay of the main remaining debts this year and then sell someone for good money in the summer. Ken and his son appear to be taking a large percentage of the current turnover out of the club and it'll be interesting to see what happens to incoming money once the key debts are mostly out of the way. Will the fees received go straight back into the club, or will we find significant amounts being bled off as things like "finders fees" and the like.

We're not currently buggered....that's nice.

palindromeofbolton
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by palindromeofbolton » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:28 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:11 am
will we find significant amounts being bled off as things like "finders fees" and the like.
Until Remi came in, he wasn't very good at finders keepers. :evil:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:04 am

He's a poor man's Mike Ashley. We aren't seeing shit.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:06 am

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:04 am
He's a poor man's Mike Ashley. We aren't seeing shit.
If we're making a profit, albeit small, have gone from league one to championship and seemingly improved the squad then I'd say there is plenty to be thankful for. Ken never claimed he'd stick money in, in fact he explicitly said at the start he wouldn't.

However, the club is better off now that it was 2 years ago. A lot better off. He's an embarrassment at times and clearly to progress further we need money from somewhere. But cannot say he's not overall done a good job.