The Scally Kents - Gillingham (H) - Mon 12 Dec 20:00

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Scally Kents - Gillingham (H) - Mon 12 Dec 20:00

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:50 pm

It was simply superb. Attacking wise the best we've played since....I honestly don't know. Probably since early Owen Coyle days. Possibly since Allardyce's best. We looked ruthless and completely in control. Gillingham actually started both halves well, but as someone said before, we never panicked and always looked like we'd just defend a bit before we got control of the game.

The delivery for the first goal was about as good as it gets. I have to give Parky and his staff huge huge credit for their vision in playing Vela as a hard running number 10. I'd not have seen that in a million years which shows how good some managers and coaches are at understanding where a player fits in. He started well in that role, but is fast becoming an absolute revelation. I'd wager he is the most important player in this system and probably the key to making much of what we do work.

The second goal was unbelievably good. If a Spurs or West Ham side scored that, you'd literally never hear the end of this on Sky. It was out of this world good. Clough produced two moments of brilliance and both led to goals.

Madine for me has more often than not been good this season, but he doesn't get the service always that he thrives off. The delivery for his goals last night was top quality and he showed how dangerous he is aerially, especially. I think he has to battle two centre halves game after game, which isn't easy, and people get on his back, but for me he's doing a decent job up there. I'd like to see what someone more mobile might do, but Madine certainly occupies centre halves and seems really up for a physical battle, which we definitely need.

Thorpe and Spearing look immense. I mean rarely have I ever seen a central midfield so dominant. Wasn't even Ameobi's best game then he goes and does that....

Finally the back four are sexual. I mean Wilson has turned a corner, Taylor is way better than league one level and Wheater and Beevers look the best centre half pairing we've had since the premiership. Arguably the best centre half pairing outside the top flight right now. Immense.

Honestly, it isn't about individuals but a team ethic and spirit and clear organisation and structure. If we keep it up and aren't unlucky with injuries we will go up. January though will have a big say and that is our biggest problem right now.

Athertonian
Promising
Promising

Post by Athertonian » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:47 pm

What impressed me as much as the play was the off ball organisation. The closing down, creating space and making themselves available was very impressive, Gillingham couldn't cope with Bolton last night.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:24 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:A highlights link: http://www.skysports.com/football/bolto ... ham/358902" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
For the foreigners (whom Sky blocks) highlights available here.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:56 pm

We looked good. Really, bloody good.

Some of the Gillingham defending was a tad suicidal at times, but no one is defending Vela's cross on the first goal. Fantastic ball and glad Madine could put it away (and didn't break his nose on the post after).

Vela and Clough developing a real partnership which is great to see. Played through them at times with quick passing and movement. Awesome. Props to Madine as well, worked hard and deserved the MoTM nod.

Thorpe never seems to sprint but is always running. Wonder what his distance covered stats are. Always seems to be in the right place (bar one instance in the second half when he got turned, but hey, no one's perfect).

The work ethic and defending was amazing though. Whenever they got the ball into the final third it was nearly always slowed down and out wide, and eventually either had to be punted into the box or played back. No heroics, no lunging, just calm defending, trusting each other to do their jobs and waiting for the opponent to make a mistake. Echo the comments about Ameobi as well - his effort on either end of the right-hand flank is astounding.

Credit to Alnwick as well, looked shaky af against Posh but has looked cool and calm since. Obviously playing behind that backline helps, but coming in as a new keeper and not upsetting the balance is a fine thing indeed.

FOOTBALL!
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:26 pm

Listening to the post match analysis was surreal. I can't remember being talked about like that by neutrals (I didn't have Sky before BSA and you can't hear what they're saying in a pub).

Also, either Madine or Ameobi said something about players not wanting to go anywhere in January which can't do anyone any harm (:
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:04 pm

Special mention to our No2 keeper Alnwick!

No easy thing coming into a settled team with ease! jobs a lot easier with that back 4 in front of him but he hasn't put a foot wrong when called upon!

Parky does have an eye for a player!
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

Devon White
Promising
Promising

Post by Devon White » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:10 pm

Athertonian wrote:What impressed me as much as the play was the off ball organisation. The closing down, creating space and making themselves available was very impressive, Gillingham couldn't cope with Bolton last night.
That was a pleasant surprise, really enjoyed that and we seemed to have more in the locker.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:17 pm

Thanks for the link, Monty. Muchos gracias, amigo.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:45 pm

Dujon wrote:Thanks for the link, Monty. Muchos gracias, amigo.
A pleasure, and happy holidays down under.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:54 pm

Agree with BWFC I - on madine what I always say is the lad doesn't shy away from having a go, getting in the positions. Get the service right and he will score, albeit he's no 20 a season man. Works the back line hard and got motm, deserved,albeit you could say that about a few of them!

bw@bw
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bw@bw » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:30 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:A highlights link: http://www.skysports.com/football/bolto ... ham/358902" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seemed like more highlights in one match than the whole of last season
What goes around may still come around

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:51 pm

Athertonian wrote:What impressed me as much as the play was the off ball organisation. The closing down, creating space and making themselves available was very impressive, Gillingham couldn't cope with Bolton last night.
Yep the players are so well drilled that they don't even have to think about it anymore.

Monday night. That big feck* had the ball in the centre circle, winger was pressing high on Taylor and full back was trying run off Clough. Winger dropped in and full back sprinted up and under a differtent manager, they'd have gone for the safe option of staying with the man and we'd have seen Taylor high and Clough legging it towards his own byline which you don't want. They just swapped men, so seamlessly that when the ball went to the winger they didn't have a feck* clue what to do, as the full-back had given up his run knwing he wasn;t going to expose Clough.. Was ace to see 8)
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:56 pm

There's lovely balance all over the pitch at the moment. Wilson is keen to get forward on the overlap which lets SammyAmmy cut in. Wilson a little wobbly (relatively) defensively has Sammy in front who is fantastically dilligent defensively. On the other side you have a proper full-back in Taylor who sits and does his job and lets Clough wander off and do his thing. Clough and Zach also have a great link. Clough buying in and doing the work on the left albeit it isn't his natural game and so we have the extra insurance of Taylor who is poss the best full-back we've had since the Prem days?

Three things stood out for me about Washing Machine's performance.

#1 and by far the most important: he got himself in the box. Someone above said that he's aways in there; not in the (v limited this season tbf) games I've seen. Peterborough in particular it looked like the "12 yard box" was the vicinity of a girl he was too scared to approach.

#2 he stood and battled. Giving up the pathetic poncing that was threatening to reach N'Goggers levels of embarassing does two things: firstly, it means you actually win some balls and we're a threat in open play. Secondly, it means when you are actually fouled, you get it, because refs pick up on the fact that you'll stay on your feet if you can.

#3 he was brilliant for the team in tracking back. We're so good once we get in front because the defence is solid and we have real pace and energy on the break with Zach, Sammy and Vela, but there is sometimes a risk of the counter-counter. Lost count of the number of times on Monday they'd be building an attack and you'd see GM in the edge of the picture cutting off a ball out to the opposite full-back or holding midfielder.

Fair play to him at the moment.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:16 pm

Prufrock wrote:Clough and Zach also have a great link.
They should..... :lol: I know you mean Clough and Vela really... :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:03 am

But I never get anything wrong!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:59 pm

Prufrock wrote:Three things stood out for me about Washing Machine's performance.

#1 and by far the most important: he got himself in the box. Someone above said that he's aways in there; not in the (v limited this season tbf) games I've seen. Peterborough in particular it looked like the "12 yard box" was the vicinity of a girl he was too scared to approach.

#2 he stood and battled. Giving up the pathetic poncing that was threatening to reach N'Goggers levels of embarassing does two things: firstly, it means you actually win some balls and we're a threat in open play. Secondly, it means when you are actually fouled, you get it, because refs pick up on the fact that you'll stay on your feet if you can.

#3 he was brilliant for the team in tracking back. We're so good once we get in front because the defence is solid and we have real pace and energy on the break with Zach, Sammy and Vela, but there is sometimes a risk of the counter-counter. Lost count of the number of times on Monday they'd be building an attack and you'd see GM in the edge of the picture cutting off a ball out to the opposite full-back or holding midfielder.

Fair play to him at the moment.
Interesting interview with him in the BN. I like his determination to disprove the doubters. I love Parky's management of him with a simple question/challenge. And I love the pay-off at the end :D

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:24 pm

His brace against Gillingham on Monday night earned him a man of the match trophy from the Sky Sports panel – which lasted just a few minutes as it was passed around the dressing room.

“Our goalkeeping coach dropped it,” laughed Madine. “What chance have we got?”
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"