Wanderers greatest...

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Wanderers greatest...

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:34 pm

Bolton News are currently running an opinion poll as to who were Bolton's greatest players in a variety of positions.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/149 ... _your_vote_/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pity they don't pay a bit more attention to facts. On Willie Moir ( a man I saw play many times years ago and who lived and died in Farnworth very close to me) they state he played mainly on the left wing for Bolton. He was an inside right in a forward line that had Nat in the middle, Doug Holden and himself on the right, and Harold Hassall and Bob Langton on the left. Great research....
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Wanderers greatest...

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:11 pm

I've noticed this article, Tango, and haven't really bothered with it as it's all to do with when someone was born, I guess. On having said that, Branny would be my chosen goalkeeper whereas I imagine that Eddie Hopkinson would be yours, although I doubt that anybody wouldn't have Nat up top.
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:16 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:I've noticed this article, Tango, and haven't really bothered with it as it's all to do with when someone was born, I guess. On having said that, Branny would be my chosen goalkeeper whereas I imagine that Eddie Hopkinson would be yours, although I doubt that anybody wouldn't have Nat up top.
All true. It can't really work for the reason you state, age and period. Be interesting to see what turns out though.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:20 pm

I wouldn't have had either as Keeper. Jim McDonagh or Jussi for me. :-)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:28 pm

Worthy4England wrote:I wouldn't have had either as Keeper. Jim McDonagh or Jussi for me. :-)
I think it's restricted to players that played at Burnden.

We could always start our own 'worst' Burnden XI.

Kevin Rose int' nets. When you're Simon Farnworth's understudy then you really are pinching a wage. :D

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:49 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Kevin Rose int' nets. When you're Simon Farnworth's understudy then you really are pinching a wage. :D
Rose and Farnworth didn't cross, Bruce. The gloveless one left in '87, the short one arrived in '89.

Rose never impressed me but he didn't terrify me as Farnworth frequently did, and Felgate increasingly did toward the end of his time at the club.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:23 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:Kevin Rose int' nets. When you're Simon Farnworth's understudy then you really are pinching a wage. :D
Rose and Farnworth didn't cross, Bruce. The gloveless one left in '87, the short one arrived in '89.

Rose never impressed me but he didn't terrify me as Farnworth frequently did, and Felgate increasingly did toward the end of his time at the club.
Really? My word, memory plays tricks with one. I remember us playing Forrest over two legs in the League Cup and Rose not getting near anything. Farnworth was simply terrible and Felgate not much better. I remember Andy Dibble coming in and me thinking 'Now there's a 'keeper'.

norm the jedi
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by norm the jedi » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:37 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:

Really? My word, memory plays tricks with one. I remember us playing Forrest over two legs in the League Cup and Rose not getting near anything. Farnworth was simply terrible and Felgate not much better. I remember Andy Dibble coming in and me thinking 'Now there's a 'keeper'.
We've had some belters.. can't remember exactly.. Did we have a lad called Ward I want him to be called Gavin or Darren. He played at Birmingham city the night Jimmy Phillips was sent off for nowt and we got gubbed 3 -1 . A night notable only for Jerry Taggart running further than I had ever seen him run previously, without stopping for a tab, to get in a punch up in front of the home end. I digress. Yon keeper had all the attributes.. big , physical presence really looked the part, sadly it was mostly for show as he couldn't catch for shit!
After one particularly flappy moment I offered him a pithy critique on his ability or lack thereof. Shortly after I was introduced to his mum who was sat three seats away.. Jumpers for goalposts..
Are we in League 2 yet - Three seasons and we'll be away to Chesham

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:29 pm

Ward was popular at Leicester. They used to sing Gavin Ward my lord to the tune of Kum Ba Ya. Made me toes curl.
PS jiminho got sent off for being head butted by Paul Devlin the c*nt. When we appealed the ref upheld it despite his original mistake because of Jimmy's reaction. Wanker.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:07 pm

Gavin Ward was a shocker but he was Lev Yashin compared to Mike Salmon.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:14 am

A thread on shit keepers and no mention of Aidan Davidson? Tut.

Bruno3
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Bruno3 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:44 am

officer_dibble wrote:A thread on shit keepers and no mention of Aidan Davidson? Tut.
or Steve Banks?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:55 pm

Bruno3 wrote:
officer_dibble wrote:A thread on shit keepers and no mention of Aidan Davidson? Tut.
or Steve Banks?
The new Schmeichel! Sort of. He wasn't all that, obviously, but he and even Davison were still a notch above ropy old fellas like Rose and Farnworth. I guess any discussion on the worst BWFC players ever will naturally congregate round the mid-80s shockers.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:00 pm

Point of order here, but I recall Aiden Davison being feted as another Rioch coup in the early days of being back in the then First Divsion. Indeed, I recall Branagan having a loss of form and people calling for Davison being called foe in the crowd.

And (and!) wasn't he in the team when we switched to 3 centre halves to stop that early season rot? (Hang on, actually it was that lad on loan from Leicester wasn't it?)
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:57 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Point of order here, but I recall Aiden Davison being feted as another Rioch coup in the early days of being back in the then First Divsion. Indeed, I recall Branagan having a loss of form and people calling for Davison being called foe in the crowd.

And (and!) wasn't he in the team when we switched to 3 centre halves to stop that early season rot? (Hang on, actually it was that lad on loan from Leicester wasn't it?)
If you mean in the second tier... well, Branagan had left Millwall because Aidan Davison was keeping him out of the team, so when AD became available the following summer many Bolton fans thought he must be some keeper to be better than Branny.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:47 am

This chat about Branny led me to googling him, and this came up

Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.