FA Cup 3rd rd

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Re: FA Cup 3rd rd

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:39 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Nicko58 wrote:Sky Sports News have just tweeted this:

BREAKING: Sky Sources: Sam Allardyce's representatives will meet for talks with @CPFC chairman Steve Parish in next 24 hours. #SSNHQ

I hope Gary managed to put that fiver on.

He didn't. :hang:
Errrrrr.....
I know.

Jakerbeef
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jakerbeef » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:14 pm

If I wasn't so busy lately I'd have taken this seriously and lumped on. :(

I'm happy if Sam's bounced back. But now he's got Chungy and we don't. Double :(

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:43 pm

Looks like Chungy might get a rare run-out in Palace colours on Saturday:

All quotes from the Bolton News:

Former Whites boss Allardyce – returning to the scene of his own greatest managerial triumph – feels he has no choice but to make changes for the FA Cup third-round tie. And he has warned it could be the last opportunity for some of the players to state their case to stay at Selhurst Park beyond the January transfer window.
“The only thing we can do on Saturday at Bolton is change a lot of the players who have played all three games in the last few days and make sure they recover for West Ham,” he said. “All the players who play at Bolton have a responsibility to go and beat Bolton, because they are disappointed they`re not playing. So if they don`t win it tells me that perhaps they are not really good enough to be at Crystal Palace. They've got a big responsibility to go and perform at Bolton and get us through to the next round – then they can show me they`re ready to go in the team, which gives me good options.”

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:47 pm

Dr Hotdog wrote:Looks like Chungy might get a rare run-out in Palace colours on Saturday:

Former Whites boss Allardyce – returning to the scene of his own greatest managerial triumph – feels he has no choice but to make changes for the FA Cup third-round tie. And he has warned it could be the last opportunity for some of the players to state their case to stay at Selhurst Park beyond the January transfer window.
“The only thing we can do on Saturday at Bolton is change a lot of the players who have played all three games in the last few days and make sure they recover for West Ham,” he said. “All the players who play at Bolton have a responsibility to go and beat Bolton, because they are disappointed they`re not playing. So if they don`t win it tells me that perhaps they are not really good enough to be at Crystal Palace. They've got a big responsibility to go and perform at Bolton and get us through to the next round – then they can show me they`re ready to go in the team, which gives me good options.”
If we beat them then we'll have Chungy back on loan. Double prize.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:56 pm

Sounds like Sam's already adopting a C.I.A mode and getting the blame ready to er, delegate should we win. He's good at that. I'd love to see Cungy back here...
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:31 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Good replacement for Ameobi?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:43 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Good replacement for Ameobi?
Better going forward, but considerably less so helping Wilson out. Will be interesting to see whether Ameobi has been making Wilson look good, or if Wilson has genuinely been a different player.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:59 pm

£69 for Platinum suite is tempting - unless this is +VAT. LOV is £59.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:19 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:£69 for Platinum suite is tempting - unless this is +VAT. LOV is £59.
It's +VAT
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:38 pm

Dr Hotdog wrote:Looks like Chungy might get a rare run-out in Palace colours on Saturday:

Let's hope it works as well as when he played our fringe players at home to Bury, eh?
BWFC_Insane wrote:If we beat them then we'll have Chungy back on loan. Double prize.
I doubt we'd afford him, I doubt he'd come, I doubt Parky'd fancy him. Those days have gone.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:32 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:

Let's hope it works as well as when he played our fringe players at home to Bury, eh?
BWFC_Insane wrote:If we beat them then we'll have Chungy back on loan. Double prize.
I doubt we'd afford him, I doubt he'd come, I doubt Parky'd fancy him. Those days have gone.
I was joking!

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:59 pm

Top bantz from bwfc_i :D

Still weird seeing allardyce refer to us as "Bolton" rather than "us". Even after all this time.

Quite a few seeing this as an upset. We've a chance but no Ameobi or Henry - so I see that as Clough/Clayton with Vela behind Madine. Not sure that will work as well. Proctor might be worth a shout as he works hard.

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:32 am

They'll not have Wilfried Zaha in their ranks as, after two England caps in 2012/13, he's gone to play for Côte D'ivoire in the African Cup of Nations. S'funny old world. Remember the clamour to get him to play for England? :lol:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:20 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
I was joking!
I suspected so, but hundreds wouldn't – either suspect it, or realise that Chungytime is gone. More likely to get Sammy Chung...
officer_dibble wrote:Quite a few seeing this as an upset. We've a chance but no Ameobi or Henry - so I see that as Clough/Clayton with Vela behind Madine. Not sure that will work as well. Proctor might be worth a shout as he works hard.
I think we've got as good a chance as any potential "minnows". We're in good league form, superb home form, with a relatively settled side (more on this later).

Palace's first team are bobbins, let alone their stiffs, while Sam is making it perfectly clear where his priorities are. We're more likely to see Jonathan Benteke than Christian, even if his shoulder's alright. They've also had injuries to James McArthur, Scott Dann, James Tomkins, Pape Souare, Connor Wickham, Zeki Fryers, Joe Ledley and Loic Remy, although Steve Parish expects the last-named to be "involved this weekend".

So we might end up facing a lashed-together bunch of ring-rusty wage-collectors – although of course folks like Wickham (4 league starts), Bakary Sako (0), Frazier Campbell (0), Jordon Mutch (0) and Mathieu Flamini (3) will be earning enough money to sink a battleship, and should be good enough to beat us, it doesn't always work like that. I'm sure Allardyce will be repeating Fergie's old warning about hard work beating talent if talent doesn't work hard, but I'm equally sure Parky will be telling our lot that this is their own chance to prove they belong higher up the pole.

As for our XI, it's intriguing – last week we seemed to have no left-siders bar Clough, now we lack right-siders (because the two loanees have gone) and have seen Clayton back among the goals after cutting in from the left. However, young Max may still not be ready for a start, and although Zach can play at No.10 we'd be daft to lose Vela's excellence there. I think Parky may seek the familiar and make as few changes as possible, so we'll have the usual back six (if Wilson is fit) behind Vela flanked by Clough left and, to the right, Chris Taylor. Many will groan at this but he will give Parky the diligent defensive cover for the right-back, and he may well make way for Clayton later on.

And if we lose, oh well, we lost to a Premier League side (managed by an old hero) and we can concentrate on the league. What might be worse is a draw, leading to a long midweek haul to a South London replay three days before another long haul to Southend, who are currently 7th after a 12-game three-month unbeaten streak and – after having this weekend off because Peterborough are still in the Cup – face successive fixtures against Blades (H, 1st), Rochdale (H, 4th), Bolton (H, 2nd), Fleetwood (A, 6th) and Scunny (H, 3rd). Browny the kingmaker?

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:16 am

Aye, their precarious league position coupled with BSA's famous pragmatism means we should have a chance against a weakened side at Fortress Macron.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:00 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
I was joking!
I suspected so, but hundreds wouldn't – either suspect it, or realise that Chungytime is gone. More likely to get Sammy Chung...
officer_dibble wrote:Quite a few seeing this as an upset. We've a chance but no Ameobi or Henry - so I see that as Clough/Clayton with Vela behind Madine. Not sure that will work as well. Proctor might be worth a shout as he works hard.
I think we've got as good a chance as any potential "minnows". We're in good league form, superb home form, with a relatively settled side (more on this later).

Palace's first team are bobbins, let alone their stiffs, while Sam is making it perfectly clear where his priorities are. We're more likely to see Jonathan Benteke than Christian, even if his shoulder's alright. They've also had injuries to James McArthur, Scott Dann, James Tomkins, Pape Souare, Connor Wickham, Zeki Fryers, Joe Ledley and Loic Remy, although Steve Parish expects the last-named to be "involved this weekend".

So we might end up facing a lashed-together bunch of ring-rusty wage-collectors – although of course folks like Wickham (4 league starts), Bakary Sako (0), Frazier Campbell (0), Jordon Mutch (0) and Mathieu Flamini (3) will be earning enough money to sink a battleship, and should be good enough to beat us, it doesn't always work like that. I'm sure Allardyce will be repeating Fergie's old warning about hard work beating talent if talent doesn't work hard, but I'm equally sure Parky will be telling our lot that this is their own chance to prove they belong higher up the pole.

As for our XI, it's intriguing – last week we seemed to have no left-siders bar Clough, now we lack right-siders (because the two loanees have gone) and have seen Clayton back among the goals after cutting in from the left. However, young Max may still not be ready for a start, and although Zach can play at No.10 we'd be daft to lose Vela's excellence there. I think Parky may seek the familiar and make as few changes as possible, so we'll have the usual back six (if Wilson is fit) behind Vela flanked by Clough left and, to the right, Chris Taylor. Many will groan at this but he will give Parky the diligent defensive cover for the right-back, and he may well make way for Clayton later on.

And if we lose, oh well, we lost to a Premier League side (managed by an old hero) and we can concentrate on the league. What might be worse is a draw, leading to a long midweek haul to a South London replay three days before another long haul to Southend, who are currently 7th after a 12-game three-month unbeaten streak and – after having this weekend off because Peterborough are still in the Cup – face successive fixtures against Blades (H, 1st), Rochdale (H, 4th), Bolton (H, 2nd), Fleetwood (A, 6th) and Scunny (H, 3rd). Browny the kingmaker?

Works for me. :oyea:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:38 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
I was joking!

People slag Brown off, but he like Keith Hill is doing a great job on limited resources.

We'd have done well with him I'm sure. Though I prefer Parky as he will do as good a job without the drama.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:48 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:People slag Brown off, but he like Keith Hill is doing a great job on limited resources.

We'd have done well with him I'm sure. Though I prefer Parky as he will do as good a job without the drama.
I bear him no ill-will compared to some (don't get Bruce started).

Hill's done well to build Dale over time, with a lot of goodwill (albeit high player churn). Brown arguably more impressive considering he made it so obvious that he wanted to leave in summer - he's done well to turn round that relationship with the players and fans. Although given their upcoming fixtures, one could uncharitably say that in the recent run they've merely brushed aside some also-rans.

I read that Brown has picked at least one Southend academy graduate in every game he's managed there, which might be good, might be enforced by necessity, or might just mean they've got some lads hanging around who've never quite kicked on to leave for better things.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:09 pm

In case you're ignoring the transfer thread - perhaps saving yourself to read it all in February - James Henry's loan has been renewed and he's available for tomoz.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:23 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:In case you're ignoring the transfer thread - perhaps saving yourself to read it all in February - James Henry's loan has been renewed and he's available for tomoz.
He's also been hitherto fecking dreadful.
May the bridges I burn light your way