FA Cup 3rd rd

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: FA Cup 3rd rd

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:26 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:In case you're ignoring the transfer thread - perhaps saving yourself to read it all in February - James Henry's loan has been renewed and he's available for tomoz.
He's also been hitherto fecking dreadful.
Largely, aye, but obviously Parky doesn't fancy cutting his losses yet despite clearly having the opportunity to do so.

What XI would you pick tomorrow?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:29 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:In case you're ignoring the transfer thread - perhaps saving yourself to read it all in February - James Henry's loan has been renewed and he's available for tomoz.
Largely, aye, but obviously Parky doesn't fancy cutting his losses yet despite clearly having the opportunity to do so.

Has Ameobi gone back yet do we know?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:33 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

If they're all fit;

Alnwick
Buxton
Moxey
Devite
Derik
C Taylor
Henry
Trotter
Proctor
Anderson
Clayton
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:55 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
DSB wrote:What XI would you pick tomorrow?
If they're all fit;

Alnwick
Buxton
Moxey
Devite
Derik
C Taylor
Henry
Trotter
Proctor
Anderson
Clayton
Bruce Concentrateontheleague Rioja, giving Henry a chance to improve, then? :D

Dervite's interesting, probably the most established (ie expensive) player in whom Parky has placed the least faith: available and uninjured since early October, unused sub four times (twice in the EFL Shamblescup), overlooked 14 times. So at the Nixon-reported £9kpw, he's contributed zero minutes' playing time for around £250,000 under Parky, with the same amount due before the end of his contract. Ken must surely be doing all he can to hoof him out the door – he turns 29 this summer, surely he wants to crack on somewhere?

Riviman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Riviman » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:03 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if Parky puts out a strong side rather than tinker about with squad players. What ever team he puts out I hope to goodness Trotter is no where near the starting 11 !
I feel reborn !!!! No more confussion

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:21 pm

Five days since the last game (for which three regulars got breathers), seven games till the next. Full-throttle, first-choice, go for it. remember Parky loves a cup run, too, taking Bratfurt to Wembley in one cup and to Stamford Bridge victory in the other.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:35 pm

Play strongest side.

We can't afford to throw away a potential big money tie next round. Might still lose, but league one clubs can't throw away these opportunities. Game is winnable. Might be an improbable win, but not impossible by any means.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:57 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Might be an improbable win, but not impossible by any means.
Quick peruse of Oddschecker shows that the experts think us and Norwich are the most likely giantkillers – we're at 34/13, whatever the stuttering f*ck that is, with Norwich 5/2. Palace (5/4) and Norfolk-bound Southampton (13/10) might be shorter odds than their hosts but they're the only Premier League teams who aren't odds-on to win against lower-tier opposition.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:14 pm

Meanwhile, Sam's press conference, displaying (according to my fingers and thumbs) questionable maths:
Dann, McArthur, Wickham, Benteke, Souare, Mandanda - we don't know how long they're going to be {injured}. There's some variation, some longer than others. Dann and McArthur should be back reasonably quickly, Connor's long-term, Benteke should be okay for next week if he plays with an injection, Mandanda we're not so sure about. Puncheon and Hennessey have got knocks, so they stay behind today. So that's nine. Nine not including two internationals, which are Sako and Zaha.

There is a team picked with Premier League experience. All the players have played Premier League football, there are no youngsters in there. Everyone that's picked to play on Saturday at Bolton has got a job on their hands to show what they can do for me and try to get the club through to the next round. It's a big opportunity for them and it's a big opportunity for me to see them in a competitive game.
If he's "not sure about" Mandanda and Hennessey has been left behind, looks like beardy old Rodney Bewes lookalike Julian Speroni in goal. If we take the rest of it at face value – the named players are injured, their replacements have EPL experience - then he'll be choosing from:

Defenders: Martin Kelly, Joel Ward, James Tomkins, Damien Delaney, Zeki Fryers
Midfielders: Mathieu Flamini, Yohan Cabaye, Joe Ledley, Jordon Mutch
Attacking midfielders: Andros Townsend, Lee Chung-yong, Sullay Kaikai
Strikers: Loic Remy, Fraizer Campbell, Jonathan Benteke

Still not exactly a parade of paupers, with a potentially experienced spine running through Speroni - Tomkins/Delaney - Flamini - Cabaye/Ledley and the returning Loic Remy up top. But I still think that if we rattle into them early, and pile on the set-pieces, it's there for us.

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:18 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote: If they're all fit;

Alnwick
Buxton
Moxey
Devite
Derik
C Taylor
Henry
Trotter
Proctor
Anderson
Clayton
Bit harsh sticking Alnwick behind those four. You might as well select Lofty Junior or recall Amos.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Meanwhile, Sam's press conference, displaying (according to my fingers and thumbs) questionable maths:
Dann, McArthur, Wickham, Benteke, Souare, Mandanda - we don't know how long they're going to be {injured}. There's some variation, some longer than others. Dann and McArthur should be back reasonably quickly, Connor's long-term, Benteke should be okay for next week if he plays with an injection, Mandanda we're not so sure about. Puncheon and Hennessey have got knocks, so they stay behind today. So that's nine. Nine not including two internationals, which are Sako and Zaha.

There is a team picked with Premier League experience. All the players have played Premier League football, there are no youngsters in there. Everyone that's picked to play on Saturday at Bolton has got a job on their hands to show what they can do for me and try to get the club through to the next round. It's a big opportunity for them and it's a big opportunity for me to see them in a competitive game.
If he's "not sure about" Mandanda and Hennessey has been left behind, looks like beardy old Rodney Bewes lookalike Julian Speroni in goal. If we take the rest of it at face value – the named players are injured, their replacements have EPL experience - then he'll be choosing from:

Defenders: Martin Kelly, Joel Ward, James Tomkins, Damien Delaney, Zeki Fryers
Midfielders: Mathieu Flamini, Yohan Cabaye, Joe Ledley, Jordon Mutch
Attacking midfielders: Andros Townsend, Lee Chung-yong, Sullay Kaikai
Strikers: Loic Remy, Fraizer Campbell, Jonathan Benteke

Still not exactly a parade of paupers, with a potentially experienced spine running through Speroni - Tomkins/Delaney - Flamini - Cabaye/Ledley and the returning Loic Remy up top. But I still think that if we rattle into them early, and pile on the set-pieces, it's there for us.
If they play well, they should beat us even with their missing players. But they might not play well....

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:06 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote: looks like beardy old Rodney Bewes lookalike Julian Speroni in goal.
:lol:

That reminds me of reading a report in The Times some years ago in which Gabor Kiraly was referred to as being a "pyjama-clad buffoon".
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:04 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote: If they play well, they should beat us even with their missing players. But they might not play well....
Cor, positivity and optimism just radiate from you like Torchy the Battery Boy mate. If we were playing Hesnshaws School for the Blind you'd have us down for a loss. Cheer up... :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:45 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote: looks like beardy old Rodney Bewes lookalike Julian Speroni in goal.
:lol:

That reminds me of reading a report in The Times some years ago in which Gabor Kiraly was referred to as being a "pyjama-clad buffoon".
I think the likely lad will break their goalkeeper appearance record if he turns out. Let's make it memorable by sticking 4 past the feck*!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:06 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote: If they play well, they should beat us even with their missing players. But they might not play well....
Cor, positivity and optimism just radiate from you like Torchy the Battery Boy mate. If we were playing Hesnshaws School for the Blind you'd have us down for a loss. Cheer up... :wink:
Do you understand my point? They are a premiership team with a lot of expensive players in there. If they play to their best they will win. But there is a decent chance they won't be at their best. Comprende?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:47 am

Sams always treated the cup with disdain and that was a familiar refrain from him this week about seeing if the reserves could prove they were worth a first team place. I always found it a bizarre expectation that chucking 9 or 10 reserves in up against a settled XI would result in anything other than a beating.

Trouble is - Palace reserves look a stronger lot than ours ever did. Ricky Shakes v Loic Remy :shock:

2-1 win :oyea:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:19 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Do you understand my point? They are a premiership team with a lot of expensive players in there. If they play to their best they will win. But there is a decent chance they won't be at their best. Comprende?
Ah,right, now that's you've explained it, yes, the mist has cleared and the light shines through. :D Is that where the expression "No shxt Sherlock" came from? Wow, we live and learn something with every passing day.....Well, then, Come on you Whites and hope the opponents won't be at their best...! :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:33 am

Alnwick
Wilson
Taylor
Beevers
Wheater
Derik
Spearing
Clayton
Clough
Henry
Madine

Would be my pick. Vela is due a rest and I'd like to see Derik play in his best position.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:03 am

Two nil to us. A result that'll flatter that bunch of unpretty long ball playing defensive cloggers.
Businesswoman of the year.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:47 am

Interesting article on Sam's days:

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/club/bolton-wan ... ne-he-left

I think it might be a 2-1 home win today :)