What is left of Burnden?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: What is left of Burnden?

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:16 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:41 pm

My first thought was to say about 1993 but can't be more specific than that. What the photo did for me was evoke memories of the cart on the corner and the smell of burgers and fried onions.
Aye, remember them well. Those burger carts used to be chained up outside the Navada on Spa road during the week. :D
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:49 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:41 pm
What the photo did for me was evoke memories of the cart on the corner and the smell of burgers and fried onions.
Apparently the olfactory bulb, our brain's smell-analysing region, is closely connected to the amygdala and hippocampus, brain regions which process memory and emotion.

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:23 am

RE: the photo. Could it be last match at Burnden at all? I can't think of another time that flags and balloons would be apt.

Unless they're particularly excitable fans.
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:48 am

Andy Waller wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:23 am
RE: the photo. Could it be last match at Burnden at all? I can't think of another time that flags and balloons would be apt.
I'm confessing I just don't know Andy but I doubt it because that was a night match and this looks daytime. I 'd no idea the pic was being taken at the time and can't remember how it came to my attention or where that date came from as it's obviously wrong. Till I found it amongst my odds and sods I'd forgotten all about it. I'll just keep it as a happy memory of the the Burnden days. Thanks for the comments.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:23 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:48 am
Andy Waller wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:23 am
I'm confessing I just don't know Andy but I doubt it because that was a night match and this looks daytime.
Apparently sunset in Bolton that night was at 8.29pm, TD. Late April, y'see.

Could be a few other matches, Andy - cup games especially. Or even league games "around" cup games, you'd often get kids and parents taking their fresh flags to those.