Boxing Clever...Shrewsbury Home 26th Dec.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Boxing Clever...Shrewsbury Home 26th Dec.

Post by Nicko58 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:55 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Score first, we've got a very good chance.
With the way that our results seem to be panning out, I'd say that this is probably going to be the case for us in every game from now on.
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:41 pm

In the B.N poll as to who will top the league on New Year's day, they are voting..
57% Sheffield..
32% Bolton
13% Scunthorpe.

Looks like folk are expecting we may draw with Scunthorpe and Sheffield beat Northhampton as a likely solution.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:34 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:In the B.N poll as to who will top the league on New Year's day, they are voting..
57% Sheffield..
32% Bolton
13% Scunthorpe.

Looks like folk are expecting we may draw with Scunthorpe and Sheffield beat Northhampton as a likely solution.
Regardless of our result, all SUFC need to do, is win and they top the table for the year
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:10 pm

boltonboris wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:In the B.N poll as to who will top the league on New Year's day, they are voting..
57% Sheffield..
32% Bolton
13% Scunthorpe.

Regardless of our result, all SUFC need to do, is win and they top the table for the year
They'll only top the table with a win as long as we avoid defeat.

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:24 pm

Nicko58 wrote:
boltonboris wrote:
57% Sheffield..
32% Bolton
13% Scunthorpe.

Unless SUFC is Scunthorpe United (:
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:31 pm

Armchair Wanderer wrote:
Nicko58 wrote:
boltonboris wrote:
57% Sheffield..
32% Bolton
13% Scunthorpe.

I'm betting that's who Boris meant... :wink:

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:38 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Armchair Wanderer wrote:
Nicko58 wrote:
boltonboris wrote:
57% Sheffield..
32% Bolton
13% Scunthorpe.

I'm betting that's who Boris meant... :wink:

The phrase 'regardless of our result' suggests not, doesn't it?

Anyway, we just need to worry about winning our game and getting into the automatic places.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:15 pm

Worthy4England wrote:'Tis the season to be jolly, fa la la la la, la la la la.
Blessed are the peacemakers... especially at this time of year and even on a footie forum. :oyea:
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:08 am

Belated view from West Stand upper:

1.) We won without playing well, a great quality. And I think we still deserved to win. We created more chances overall.

2.) Despite the above, Shrewsbury should have drawn, or at least got to 2-2. Totally ridiculous that a referee who is at a 135 degree angle to the player overrides a linesman looking directly at him.

3.) Our midfield does not dominate teams and control games in this division. I believe Derik should play instead of Thorpe. Derik is a class player, who imho has ability way above this level, and he is a better passer than Thorpe.

4.) Healthy crowd. I would never have believed before this season we could get 16238 v Shrewsbury in a L1 game. This is good.

5.) Bring on Scunny.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:31 am

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:Belated view from West Stand upper:

Our midfield does not dominate teams and control games in this division. I believe Derik should play instead of Thorpe. Derik is a class player, who imho has ability way above this level, and he is a better passer than Thorpe.
I'll put this as a question, but hasn't Thorpe been getting the good words lately?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:23 am

I think Thorpe is good at anticipating play andbeing in the right place to intercept a pass. I also think he's up for the scrap. I think he edges Derik on that, though I think Detiks distribution is better. It is a good dilemma to have.

As an aside I can't see a place for Pratley in that side. Suspect Josh Vela may need a rest soon enough mind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:41 am

officer_dibble wrote:I think Thorpe is good at anticipating play andbeing in the right place to intercept a pass. I also think he's up for the scrap. I think he edges Derik on that, though I think Detiks distribution is better. It is a good dilemma to have.

As an aside I can't see a place for Pratley in that side. Suspect Josh Vela may need a rest soon enough mind.
Pretty much how I see it. Thorpe is also better in the air in both boxes.

Tough call for me. I like Derik in that role but equally I think he can go missing. Thorpe is good when we are under pressure but I'd agree against Shrewsbury in the second half he looked a bit lost.

Having said that Derik looked equally adrift when he came on.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:24 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
officer_dibble wrote:I think Thorpe is good at anticipating play andbeing in the right place to intercept a pass. I also think he's up for the scrap. I think he edges Derik on that, though I think Detiks distribution is better. It is a good dilemma to have.

Tough call for me. I like Derik in that role but equally I think he can go missing. Thorpe is good when we are under pressure but I'd agree against Shrewsbury in the second half he looked a bit lost.

Derik is a much better footballer but Thorpe is a big lad and basically an extra defender for most of the game which suits Parky's cautious nature. I'd play derik, or maybe just at at home with Thorpe coming in away. If Vela is having an off day like Saturday then there's nothing creative in midfield.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:29 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Derik is a much better footballer but Thorpe is a big lad and basically an extra defender for most of the game which suits Parky's cautious nature. I'd play derik, or maybe just at at home with Thorpe coming in away. If Vela is having an off day like Saturday then there's nothing creative in midfield.
Aye. I think the idea is to win it in midfield and give it to Zach or Sammi. But both of those were poor so we did lack some creativity. Soearing had an off key game on the ball too. They pressed our midfield well I thought and knocked them out of their stride. For me Derik is good but ultimately still not totally comfortable in that role. I think he will grow into it.

Pratley back will be a boost imo.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:30 pm

Apparently Ameobi has been called back from his loan for Monday, according to someone on twitter

https://twitter.com/lucyweir22/status/8 ... 0593800192" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:56 am

KeyserSoze wrote:Apparently Ameobi has been called back from his loan for Monday, according to someone on twitter

https://twitter.com/lucyweir22/status/8 ... 0593800192" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bolton News saying both parent clubs waiting for us to make a decision. The loan deals don't end until after the Coventry game and BN saying we are making sure they don't get injured first. I hope they are correct.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:16 am

malcd1 wrote:
KeyserSoze wrote:Apparently Ameobi has been called back from his loan for Monday, according to someone on twitter

Bolton News saying both parent clubs waiting for us to make a decision. The loan deals don't end until after the Coventry game and BN saying we are making sure they don't get injured first. I hope they are correct.
Well understandable and reasonable for me. Totally sensible decision based on our current finances. It's just two days delay and that should hurt no one.

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:17 am

malcd1 wrote:

Lee Anderson tweeted last night that it was just a rumour and that he assumes Vela just meant that his loan deal expires on Monday.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:37 am

Whilst I think safeguarding against injuries is a good idea, I'm not convinced delaying is for that reason entirely. I mean it's two days. They could get injured in 4 days. And we'd have had to commit.

Suspect that there may also be a game of waiting and see who else might be available for loans in the window. Presumably Ameobi or Henry going would allow them to be replaced.

I definitely would like to keep both, I think Ameobi is pretty crucial to how we play. Henry IMO has more to offer second half of the season. And it is a squad game.

I think I'd be delighted to keep our squad exactly as it is with no further exits or in comings. Which is rare.

But we have great spirit, so would be a shame to see that disrupted.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:05 pm

I think yesterday changed a few minds about Henry, mine included!