Lincoln steel, my arse! - Scunthorpe (H) 31/12/16

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Lincoln steel, my arse! - Scunthorpe (H) 31/12/16

Post by KeyserSoze » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:31 pm

\o/
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:49 pm

First home game in fecking ages, belting.

Good game to be fair, two good sides, both tried to win it. Think a point would have been a fair result so delighted that we nicked it.

Though they had a lot of the ball, think we edged the first 45 and last 30. They were only really on top for the 15 after half time albeit they absolutely bossed those and totally deserved the equaliser. We were far from scintillating going forward, Clough and SammiAmmy v quiet, yet we still had some cracking chances. Ameobi again outstanding going the other way, reckon I could play RB for us. Lots of 7s or 8s with no stand outs. Spearing edging motm for me.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:53 pm

We edged the first half. They dominated first fifteen of the second. Had they continued playing I can't see anything other than them winning. But they settled for a point. And it cost them.

A cracking game. And we did so well to come back into it after the hour mark when it really looked like we would do well to hang on for a draw.

We aren't at our best by a long stretch right now but ground out a result against previously top of the league. Can't complain.

Madine motm. Led the line absolutely superbly. Probably the difference between the two sides. We played off him which is just as well as Sammi and Zach were kept very, very quiet.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:03 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:They dominated first fifteen of the second. Had they continued playing I can't see anything other than them winning. But they settled for a point. And it cost them.
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Interesting stick-or-twist dilemma for Cuntrope. Might weirdly make them easier to play against.
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Come on you Whites. Please.
Thanks.

Happy new year, all. :D

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:03 pm

You were doing so well until the end! Madine was bang average at best again IMO. Wasn't helped by balls lofted 10 years over his head but he offers no movement, his touch is shite and the work rate defensively wasn't there today. Vela was also v good tbf.

Don't think it's fair to say they settled for a point until about the 90th minute. Went 2 up top when it was still 1-1.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:06 pm

Also, I take back every criticism of referees I had when we were in the Prem!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:07 pm

Prufrock wrote:You were doing so well until the end! Madine was bang average at best again IMO. Wasn't helped by balls lofted 10 years over his head but he offers no movement, his touch is shite and the work rate defensively wasn't there today. Vela was also v good tbf.

Don't think it's fair to say they settled for a point until about the 90th minute. Went 2 up top when it was still 1-1.
Think they dropped off. Noticeably. Perhaps we stepped it up?

Don't agree on Madine, virtually everything we did came from him fighting their centre halves for aerial balls. Everything was about him winning it and playing off him. Hence his creation of the goal.

He played that role as well as you can ask in all regards, except fluffing one good chance.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:14 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:We edged the first half.
Just to note, Sky's chap on the gantry thought that they were edging it early on, then within a minute of his vox pop Vela scored. Did the goal alter the shift of play, or do you think that we were good for the lead?
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:32 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:We edged the first half.
Just to note, Sky's chap on the gantry thought that they were edging it early on, then within a minute of his vox pop Vela scored. Did the goal alter the shift of play, or do you think that we were good for the lead?
Bout right, we were better after that.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:57 pm

Awesome result!!

I thought they started the better, then after the first ten minutes we were on top. Then what PP has talked about a lot happened again. We came out for the second half seemingly content just to do our defensive jobs, which gave them the initiative, and they deservedly equalized. At that point, a top team with all the momentum should really grab hold of the game and go on to win. But for the last 10 minutes we got on top again, and we made it count by getting the winner. The crowd really got behind the team in the final minutes also, I would be surprised if that isn't mentioned by PP and whoever does the post match interviews.

Clough had a poor game, although he still looked dangerous on a couple of occasions.

Madine had an awesome game in terms of holding the ball up. But his finishing is still woeful.

Ameobi had one of those days where not much came off, but encouragingly he seemed to get stronger towards the end and was a big part of our late dominance.

The rest of the team were solid as usual, all had decent games.

They looked a neat team with lots of energy. Dawson and Bishop in centre midfield are experienced players and guide the rest of the team well. Great battle with Spearing and Thorpe, with Spearing just about the best of the four. They also matched us on set pieces, looking as much as a threat on theirs as we did on ours. They will feel they deserved a draw, and maybe the final result was a bit harsh on them.

The referee was ridiculous. He was determined to be man of the match. He got most decisions plain wrong, and wasted loads of time talking to players for relatively minor incidents in the first half, then brandished yellow cards everywhere in the second, most of which were undeserved.

All in all, given the status of the game, no better way to win it. It puts them under pressure and they must be demoralized right now, and hopefully gives us a big boost. It seems a challenge to put out a team fresh enough to play well on Monday, but lets hope we can nick that one too.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:42 pm

Great to come back into it when we looked in all sorts of trouble just after the hour. Thought we'd run out of steam but showed real bollocks to get back in and delighted for Henry who could be a big player for us now if the rumours about losing Ameobi are true.
Also thought Madine had a good game as target man but again showed how poor a finisher he is. No complete packages at this level though.
Probably lucky that they scored early 2nd half so we had chance to regroup.
Oh and enjoyed seeing their no. 8 looking distraught at the end. Really put the c*nt in Scunthorpe, that lad.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:09 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:The crowd really got behind the team in the final minutes also, I would be surprised if that isn't mentioned by PP and whoever does the post match interviews.
From the BN:

Parkinson paid a special tribute to the Bolton fans, with the crowd of 17.062 ranking as the second highest of the season so far.

“It was a great feeling – I have to comment on the atmosphere today because it was absolutely fantastic,” he said after the game.

“There was a real buzz about the place and to see the whole ground singing and behind the team was just amazing.

“It wasn’t just after we’d scored, it was after that as well. When it wasn’t going our way the fans stayed right behind us and I thank every single one of them for that.”
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:00 am

What a wonderful, gorgeous, stunning new year present to amble out this morning to find the result.

So, as Big Ben down in that there London chimes in the beginning of 2017 may I wish you all, and the team, a prosperous and successful year.

HAPPY NEW YEAR.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:22 am

Happy New Year to you and yours Dujon. :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:01 am

Those last few minutes of the game are going down in my book as one of the best!! the crowd just exploded like a pressure cooker and there were arms and legs everywhere :) Watching their goalkeeper trying desperately to reach the ball and it just creeping in, I just want to relive it over again.....Superb!!

Now on to Coventry tomorrow and I'm going with quiet confidence. Just a quiet word to Lever End (STAY AWAY) :)

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:43 am

Message received LOUD AND CLEAR!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:05 pm

One lad's view from the West Upper. Winner at about 11.30 #scenes

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:18 pm

And yer actual highlights:

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:25 pm

LeverEnd wrote:Message received LOUD AND CLEAR!
:)

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:33 pm

There's this video as well, which I think manages to capture the sense of sheer delirium right after the winner went in.

For what it's worth, I thought that they were a very good team - they moved it about well, were organised, were a threat from set-pieces, and were clever in knowing what the referee would allow them to get away with. I doubt that they'll fall away.
Last edited by Nicko58 on Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'