Why, I'll Ride Naked Through the Streets Coventry (A) 2/1/17

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Why, I'll Ride Naked Through the Streets Coventry (A) 2/

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:45 pm

Benitez just said Ameobi is going back there. So we may have an issue.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:06 pm

Yep, we'll miss ameobi. I suspect he's going as cover for their ANC players with a view to seeing if he can force himself into the team. I wouldn't rule out us signing him again at the end of Jan. Hopefuly Clayton can prove himself and stay fit.

How long is Wilson out for? And Buxton!

Palace game will be interesting, wonder if Pratley will be fit by then.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:13 pm

officer_dibble wrote:Yep, we'll miss ameobi. I suspect he's going as cover for their ANC players with a view to seeing if he can force himself into the team. I wouldn't rule out us signing him again at the end of Jan. Hopefuly Clayton can prove himself and stay fit.

How long is Wilson out for? And Buxton!

Palace game will be interesting, wonder if Pratley will be fit by then.
I think he's massive as frankly I think Clough is pretty average out wide. And doesn't offer an outlet. Clayton is essentially Clough in terms of areas he's effective in. In our system we need that strong, quick wide man who can offer a real outlet.

enrdentw
Promising
Promising

Post by enrdentw » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:14 pm

DJBlu wrote:Come off at J15 turn left, at roundabout turn right onto Newcastle Rd then left onto Whitmore Rd(B5038) drive to the A34 and turn right towards Stafford. It will bring you to J14, if not carry on through to Cannock and join the M6 toll.
Thanks for the help - got into the ground at 15:05.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:27 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Benitez just said Ameobi is going back there. So we may have an issue.
I would have preferred him to stay & I'm sorry to see him go, but I don't think that we will miss him that much. He's skilful & talented but he's far too inconsistent and goes missing for long periods of the game - saying that we have to replace him - so Ken will need to bring in another winger / wide man in the next few weeks - although Clayton coming back has made losing Ameobi a little easier IMO.

Personally I think KA will surprise us again this window and bring in a decent forward / attacking player - although I'd prefer a proper energetic central midfielder to play alongside Spearing to give us an option instead of Thorpe (caveat: Trotter isn't an option !) - if we can get both then that will be a huge bonus - but I think Ken will surprise us and have a few things lined up with us being in such a good position in the league.

I just feel a bit sorry for Ameobi, he's getting regular games at BWFC, out of contract in the summer now being recalled to sit on the Newcastle bench at best but probably not even that.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:29 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Benitez just said Ameobi is going back there. So we may have an issue.
I would have preferred him to stay & I'm sorry to see him go, but I don't think that we will miss him that much. He's skilful & talented but he's far too inconsistent and goes missing for long periods of the game - saying that we have to replace him - so Ken will need to bring in another winger / wide man in the next few weeks - although Clayton coming back has made losing Ameobi a little easier IMO.

Personally I think KA will surprise us again this window and bring in a decent forward / attacking player - although I'd prefer a proper energetic central midfielder to play alongside Spearing to give us an option instead of Thorpe (caveat: Trotter isn't an option !) - if we can get both then that will be a huge bonus - but I think Ken will surprise us and have a few things lined up with us being in such a good position in the league.

I just feel a bit sorry for Ameobi, he's getting regular games at BWFC, out of contract in the summer now being recalled to sit on the Newcastle bench at best but probably not even that.
He's inconsistent but I feel he's key to our attack. Against Scunny we got on top when he started playing better. Clough, Clayton are IMO very different. They won't run at people from deep positions or offer that wide outlet. At home I feel we will struggle without Ameobi.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:31 pm

He's key to the defence as well. Massive loss, hope we can get him back at the end of Jan.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:49 pm

Or we gamble and get someone as good / better on loan. Swindon, southend and charlton in jan.

A win in the cup and a decent draw away might help with funds...

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:00 pm

officer_dibble wrote:Or we gamble and get someone as good / better on loan. Swindon, southend and charlton in jan.

I think that we will get another forward / wide player better or as good, I think KA will gamble a bit with us being in such a strong position in the league.

BTW his son is saying that we still want Ameobi & is telling fans to wait and see what this week brings....

jonnycooper
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by jonnycooper » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:08 pm

Rochdale are looking likely to be troubling the top 3positions soon!

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:21 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
officer_dibble wrote:Or we gamble and get someone as good / better on loan. Swindon, southend and charlton in jan.

I think that we will get another forward / wide player better or as good, I think KA will gamble a bit with us being in such a strong position in the league.

BTW his son is saying that we still want Ameobi & is telling fans to wait and see what this week brings....
Is this a New Years resolution?

Positivity and Optimism? :D

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:27 pm

Highlights

UK Only:

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/10 ... 2-2-bolton" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Worldwide:

https://vid.me/4WQz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Proctor back heel to Clayton who drops the shoulder and slots the ball home.

Good goal.
Last edited by DJBlu on Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:37 pm

I think we'll get Ameobi back. But we need to look for a tricky or quick winger just in case because we have no-one in the squad to adequately replace him

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:13 pm

Another good turn out: 1,750 in a 8,500 gate. Was there a naked Bruce and a Jonah LE?
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:26 pm

I guess that is a good result under the circumstances. You always want wins, but snatching a draw in what circumstances made a very difficult game is what good teams do.

Looking at Newcastle's squad you can see why they might want Ameobi back with them. They have Ritchie, Gouffran and Atsu as wide players, and Diame and Perez as support strikers. They have three very expensive number 9's in Gayle, Mitrovic and Murphy. They seem to mostly play one up top. Atsu and Diame are both African, so if they are both going to the ANC then they are left with very little cover in attacking positions. In addition they have lost quite a few games recently and so changes might be necessary through loss of form. Maybe they are looking at buying one or two attacking players themselves, and that is why there is some doubt during this week about whether Ameobi comes back or not?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:37 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:I guess that is a good result under the circumstances. You always want wins, but snatching a draw in what circumstances made a very difficult game is what good teams do.

Looking at Newcastle's squad you can see why they might want Ameobi back with them. They have Ritchie, Gouffran and Atsu as wide players, and Diame and Perez as support strikers. They have three very expensive number 9's in Gayle, Mitrovic and Murphy. They seem to mostly play one up top. Atsu and Diame are both African, so if they are both going to the ANC then they are left with very little cover in attacking positions. In addition they have lost quite a few games recently and so changes might be necessary through loss of form. Maybe they are looking at buying one or two attacking players themselves, and that is why there is some doubt during this week about whether Ameobi comes back or not?
There is no way on gods earth that Ameobi is good enough for a team at the top of the championship.

Think he is great at this level, because what he produces is rare and the inconsistency can be ignored somewhat. But top of the next league? Not for me.

Mind see bottom three dwellers Blackburn beat top of the table Newcastle today. Goes to show these games like ours today are never easy.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:38 pm

Parkinson praised the supporters after the Scunny game, but today many around me were a disgrace, I thought. Booing the players off at half time? I mean really? And booing one of our own whilst he's out on the pitch is utterly unacceptable. Yes, I know that they've paid their money and all of that but who on earth thinks that booing Trotter's every touch after one (of countless others) misplaced pass and conceding one (of countless others) foul will have him go "Sorry, guys, you're right. I'll play like Glen fecking Hoddle for the rest of the game"?

He's our most limited player, we know that (it was even your's truly who first described him as playing like a wardrobe on casters) but to boo any one player, especially when the entire side were playing poorly, truly is unacceptable for me.

And another thing, can someone explain this one to me please? My mate and I found ourselves surrounded by several young men who'd presumably made the 120 mile trip to pay £23 to stand in the freezing cold for two hours. Only matey boy and I were there to watch the match and support the team. These guys spent their entire afternoons stood staring into their phones whilst giving running commentaries to all and sundry as to how their bets (Ackers and cash outs I believe :conf:) were coming along, looking up only upon realisation that Trotter was being booed and joining in despite having no idea as to why he was being booed.
Get this, this one stood next to me actually came out with the line, and I quote "Shit, Scunthorpe have conceded". Wankers.
May the bridges I burn light your way

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:45 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:I guess that is a good result under the circumstances. You always want wins, but snatching a draw in what circumstances made a very difficult game is what good teams do.

There is no way on gods earth that Ameobi is good enough for a team at the top of the championship.

Think he is great at this level, because what he produces is rare and the inconsistency can be ignored somewhat. But top of the next league? Not for me.

Mind see bottom three dwellers Blackburn beat top of the table Newcastle today. Goes to show these games like ours today are never easy.
I actually disagree. He has the talent to play at that level imho. He might be 24 but has the experience of someone who is 19/20. He can make big improvements, and probably is doing right now each day.

Let us say you are right though and he isn't at that level, the point is that Newcastle might soon be very short of bodies in the three attacking positions behind the stirker, and having Ameobi back gives them vital squad cover, and prevents the need for them having to promote some untried youngster to the bench, or even the first team if they get injuries. Let us hope they have a couple of signings lined up and/or the African players return unscathed.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:52 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote: There is no way on gods earth that Ameobi is good enough for a team at the top of the championship.
I think Ameobi's time with us may well lead to us being hoist by our own petard in so far as, with us having given him a platform at this level, he's proving to be the player that Newcastle recognise is in there somewhere. I agree in that he's probably a long way away from Newcastle's starting XI, but I reckon he could do a job for them coming off their bench.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:46 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Parkinson praised the supporters after the Scunny game, but today many around me were a disgrace, I thought. Booing the players off at half time? I mean really? And booing one of our own whilst he's out on the pitch is utterly unacceptable. Yes, I know that they've paid their money and all of that but who on earth thinks that booing Trotter's every touch after one (of countless others) misplaced pass and conceding one (of countless others) foul will have him go "Sorry, guys, you're right. I'll play like Glen fecking Hoddle for the rest of the game"?

He's our most limited player, we know that (it was even your's truly who first described him as playing like a wardrobe on casters) but to boo any one player, especially when the entire side were playing poorly, truly is unacceptable for me.

And another thing, can someone explain this one to me please? My mate and I found ourselves surrounded by several young men who'd presumably made the 120 mile trip to pay £23 to stand in the freezing cold for two hours. Only matey boy and I were there to watch the match and support the team. These guys spent their entire afternoons stood staring into their phones whilst giving running commentaries to all and sundry as to how their bets (Ackers and cash outs I believe :conf:) were coming along, looking up only upon realisation that Trotter was being booed and joining in despite having no idea as to why he was being booed.
Get this, this one stood next to me actually came out with the line, and I quote "Shit, Scunthorpe have conceded". Wankers.
Away games used to be my favourite thing in the world. Now I hate them for this very reason. I find a considerable portion of our away fanbase reprehensible. It's a generational thing I know. But everything you've described here is absolutely what drives me mad.

Plus those who film every bloody thing on their phones.