Hanging on, January Transfer Window thread 2017

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

popeyedoyle
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: Hanging on, January Transfer Window thread 2017

Post by popeyedoyle » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:34 am

Also I'm a bit concerned that there's no immediate response from Parky on the Clough sale, I'm wondering if Clough was sold over his head hence why he's saying nothing.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:43 am

tbf he was probably in his office till after midnight, training today at 10am i guess then assume he'll talk to the media following that?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:02 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:tbf he was probably in his office till after midnight, training today at 10am i guess then assume he'll talk to the media following that?
Usually a Thursday press conference for a Saturday game, izznit?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:15 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Clayton will be the new Clough
Based on what, exactly?
Hope and wishful thinking.....and a bit of humour maybe to counteract the PT and Insaney doom express? :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:27 pm

popeyedoyle wrote:Also I'm a bit concerned that there's no immediate response from Parky on the Clough sale, I'm wondering if Clough was sold over his head hence why he's saying nothing.
Of course he was sold over Parky's head. Do you think any manager of a team third in the league would want to willingly sell their top scorer who is a first team pick week in week out, unless they were able to get a huge fee AND spend the money on the team?

Parky may well have accepted the decision as necessary to bridge club finances. But it is hard to imagine this was anything other than an evil necessity.

popeyedoyle
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by popeyedoyle » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:33 pm

If you're right Bwfc_Insane then he's probably made his mind up already to leave at the first opportunity that comes his way.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:37 pm

Hard to know what conversations PP had before he took the job. If he thought all was going to be sweetness and light financially he probably didn't do enough DD!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:49 pm

popeyedoyle wrote:If you're right Bwfc_Insane then he's probably made his mind up already to leave at the first opportunity that comes his way.
There is quite a difference between selling a player the manager would want to keep if all things equal, and selling a player without consulting the manager.

I'm sure Parky knew what was going on and our financial position.

Whilst Clough went yesterday I'm sure this was in the works for the past week or so. Which may partly explain the general abject team performance on Saturday.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:11 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Based on what, exactly?
Hope and wishful thinking.....and a bit of humour maybe to counteract the PT and Insaney doom express? :wink:
Fair do's :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:13 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Based on what, exactly?
Fair do's :D

In fairness, he did score regularly in this division for Crewe. He's more physical and better in the air too.
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:27 pm

Nothing from Parky or the club in the press thus far today. The silence seems deafening. Parky clearly stated he wanted to keep our best young players. It was reported he really wanted Eoin Doyle. It is hard to see how ALF fits into Parky's ethos, and questionable if that was his signing. It is likely we will be under a long term embargo and more poor value sales lie ahead. Would not surprise me one bit if Parky is questioning his future here.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:07 pm

There's a few folk allowing themselves to run away with a little bit!

Do I think PP is gutted Zach has gone? Yes.
Do I think he was happy for him to go at that price with seemingly no chance he'll ever get to spend the money? No.

Do I think there's any evidence he was sold over PP's head and that ALF was foisted on a reluctant PP who didn't want him? No.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:55 pm

Prufrock wrote:There's a few folk allowing themselves to run away with a little bit!

Do I think he was happy for him to go at that price with seemingly no chance he'll ever get to spend the money? No.

Do I think there's any evidence he was sold over PP's head and that ALF was foisted on a reluctant PP who didn't want him? No.
Indeed - can anyone see the presser running anything other than

Didn't want to let him go....blah, blah.....decent offer from Forest one division up....blah, blah....got a couple of decent people in....blah, blah....cope with what we have for rest of season....blah, blah.....these are tough times....and so on...

Unless it's pissed him to the point of get a new job, he isn't going to say "Can't live without him, what a set of wankers the board are"...

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:16 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Prufrock wrote:There's a few folk allowing themselves to run away with a little bit!

Indeed - can anyone see the presser running anything other than

Didn't want to let him go....blah, blah.....decent offer from Forest one division up....blah, blah....got a couple of decent people in....blah, blah....cope with what we have for rest of season....blah, blah.....these are tough times....and so on...

Unless it's pissed him to the point of get a new job, he isn't going to say "Can't live without him, what a set of wankers the board are"...
This
Pfffft.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:43 pm

I agree mainly.

On Le Fondre...Iles had been saying he wasn't top of Parky's list. And has said a couple of times he wonders 'who signed him'. I do think Le Fondre was signed to appease fans over Clough. Be interesting to see how Parky uses him. One of our loans isn't getting in the match day squads.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:22 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

I agree mainly.

On Le Fondre...Iles had been saying he wasn't top of Parky's list. And has said a couple of times he wonders 'who signed him'. I do think Le Fondre was signed to appease fans over Clough. Be interesting to see how Parky uses him. One of our loans isn't getting in the match day squads.
The "timing" of both announcements in the BEN seemed interesting...

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:42 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Based on what, exactly?
This,

Let's not start pissing in the pessimism pot just yet.

Penalty taker = ALF
Free kicks = Spearing/ALF

It's all doom and gloom but apparently we had no creativity when Clough was in the team i.e. Charlton at home.

What have we got to lose? The savior has gone. It's time for someone to step up. Maybe Le Fondre might not be bullied off the ball as much.

The lad is a good player. He's gone to a lower Championship side and maybe that is his level. No Premier League club came in for him like Arsenal for Holden so maybe they don't see it.

Let's not get too down beat as there is a game on Saturday and we're going to need everybody with fresh, renewed hope that we can push on and ensure we make Zach realise what he is missing.

I hope they threw a relegation release clause in his contract as it would be piss funny if they went down and we went up. Can't see it but you never know!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:44 pm

DJBlu wrote:Let's not start pissing in the pessimism pot just yet.
S'pose I shouldn't have dumped then?

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:48 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
DJBlu wrote:Let's not start pissing in the pessimism pot just yet.
S'pose I shouldn't have dumped then?
:lol:

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:16 pm

DJBlu wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Based on what, exactly?
This,

Let's not start pissing in the pessimism pot just yet.

Penalty taker = ALF
Free kicks = Spearing/ALF

It's all doom and gloom but apparently we had no creativity when Clough was in the team i.e. Charlton at home.

What have we got to lose? The savior has gone. It's time for someone to step up. Maybe Le Fondre might not be bullied off the ball as much.

The lad is a good player. He's gone to a lower Championship side and maybe that is his level. No Premier League club came in for him like Arsenal for Holden so maybe they don't see it.

Let's not get too down beat as there is a game on Saturday and we're going to need everybody with fresh, renewed hope that we can push on and ensure we make Zach realise what he is missing.

I hope they threw a relegation release clause in his contract as it would be piss funny if they went down and we went up. Can't see it but you never know!

Also have a feeling that Clayton has a big part to play! with clough now gone, he may get a chance!
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience