Hanging on, January Transfer Window thread 2017

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Hanging on, January Transfer Window thread 2017

Post by Burnden Paddock » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:26 pm

Clayton looked afraid to get involved on Saturday when he came on. Looked to be hiding to me. I can understand some nerves after so long out, but I would have expected him to be right up for it.

I fully expect to finish mid table,which is as much as we could have expected pre season. The fact that we have over achieved to date seems to have clouded some opinions and all of a sudden we're doomed and promotion is a distant dream. Reality check needed!

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:20 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:Clayton looked afraid to get involved on Saturday when he came on. Looked to be hiding to me. I can understand some nerves after so long out, but I would have expected him to be right up for it.

I fully expect to finish mid table,which is as much as we could have expected pre season. The fact that we have over achieved to date seems to have clouded some opinions and all of a sudden we're doomed and promotion is a distant dream. Reality check needed!
Over-achieved? Never. The squad at the start of the season was good enough to get in the top two, especially when we added Ameobi. Spearing, Pratley, Mavies, Vela, Clough, Wheater, Beevers, Ameobi, Henry ... you're saying these are mid-table League One fare? This must be some league!

Clough has been poor recently to the point of being anonymous. He can always get the odd goal though, especially from a free-kick, and those odd goals can be the difference between a draw and a win. Same with Ameobi. I'm gutted Clough's gone as much as anyone, he can be great to watch on his day. He had a real understanding with Vela too, and I genuinely thought they were the future of this club. But alas.

However, getting Le Fondre in is a huge bonus. He scored the goals last time he was here, and he could be just what we need to get our promotion push back on track. The biggest problem I see is, who's going to supply him the balls and how is PP gonna use him?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:47 pm

This is just a view, but one based on history. Positions in this league are a lottery and an ever changing one at that. A team winning regularly suddenly ceases to win in inexplainable fashion; Scunthorpe, Sheffield, Rochdale etc (and us ) are guaranteed nothing because results are all about consistency amongst a bunch of teams with little to choose between them. That might sound very Sherlock, indeed will, but studying form, game plans and skill levels mean not a lot on a wet afternoon when you're knackered and a goal/two down. Look at the goals we've conceeded; Barcelona quality or Barnsley flukers (very much the latter generally I'd say) and decide if it even matters either way when the whistle goes. Only the result does. If honesty can be worth anything, there were a few on her who claimed not long back they'd swap a win for a battling display; fine, except none of it is worth a busted ball at season end if you get relegated. What we need to do is concentrate on a bit of ad-libbing instead of perfect lines stuff. Ball in net men; at school we used to call them titty-line heroes, later on we called em Jimmy Greaves, Gary Linnekar, Ivan Klasnic etc. I reckon in this league Alf might just prove to be one of them. He knows where the net is and isn't afraid of it. Hopefully some of that might rub off on a few others.

Amen. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:16 am

looking forward to seeing the team sheet at the weekend now.

Cant imagine there'll be any drastic changes. maybe same 11 but for Clayton in for Clough.

then i guess ALF, Long & Solomon will replace Wilkinson, Proctor and Trotter on the bench alongside Moxey, Dirk & JT?

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:32 am

Alf is a monster in this league! was brilliant in a struggling championship team last time out! if Parky uses him right, he'll be banging the goals in.
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

Whookam
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Whookam » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:28 am

plymouth wanderer wrote:Alf is a monster in this league! was brilliant in a struggling championship team last time out! if Parky uses him right, he'll be banging the goals in.
He last played below Championship level in 2009 when he was condiserably younger.

Don't get your hopes up.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:31 am

Whookam wrote:
plymouth wanderer wrote:Alf is a monster in this league! was brilliant in a struggling championship team last time out! if Parky uses him right, he'll be banging the goals in.
He last played below Championship level in 2009 when he was condiserably younger.

Don't get your hopes up.

feck me!!! 30 is the new 70 hey! :wink:
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:34 am

The opinion on that youth from Brum from one of my blue nosed buddies.

"He's Ok, but early this season we played Oxford and I don't think he beat his man once... his goal against Fulham was great, but hasn't really done much since! He is powerful, but never seems to DO IT!!!"
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:25 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:The opinion on that youth from Brum from one of my blue nosed buddies.

"He's Ok, but early this season we played Oxford and I don't think he beat his man once... his goal against Fulham was great, but hasn't really done much since! He is powerful, but never seems to DO IT!!!"
^^ We've never had any of them before, have we? :-)

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:40 am

Whookam wrote:

Don't get your hopes up.
I don't understand this.. Surely that shows his level is above this.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:32 am

Filipe Morais has signed with us until the end of the season

https://twitter.com/OfficialBWFC/status ... 2611629056" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:45 am

Doesn't matter what they do,

We fans have high expectations, expect them to hit the ground running and usually this happens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezBAbG-KF50" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:51 am

he's a creative player and he's cheap! can't expect to much!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:59 am

KeyserSoze wrote:Filipe Morais has signed with us until the end of the season

https://twitter.com/OfficialBWFC/status ... 2611629056" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Like the comment below - can't even get through PSG without a complaint...

"Not a fan of the jumper". :D

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:40 pm

One more squad slot left then, given Ken mentioned yesterday that we had two. I'd expect a right-sided centre/full-back, possibly this Kuipers chap we trialled last summer who's now out of contract.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:03 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:One more squad slot left then, given Ken mentioned yesterday that we had two. I'd expect a right-sided centre/full-back, possibly this Kuipers chap we trialled last summer who's now out of contract.
I would sign some creativity into the midfield. Given Derik/Thorpe/Wilson/Buxton can cover right back, and Derik/Thorpe/Dervite/Buxton can cover centre back. I feel we've enough flexibility there just about.

But what we've not got is anyone of real quality to create chances for ALF. Beyond possibly the young kid from Brum who I suspect won't make the matchday squads and a lad Bradford have released.....

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:20 pm

Just as a complete aside, but Kevin Nolan has just registered himself as a player...if only we could step back a few years.... :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:31 pm

How likely is it that we're going to find that player on the free transfer market? Kuipers probably wouldn't play outside of an emergency, but he must have something for us to be still sniffing around him, considering it was Neil Lennon who took him on trial in January 2015. 6ft 3, 24 year defender (c/o Wikipedia) probably has upside beyond the rest of this year.

Paul Caddis might be worth a look, no? I'm not sold on either Buxton or Wilson, and I suspect Parky isn't neither. Remember him causing all sorts of bother getting up the right wing (and scored, I think) in that game a couple of years ago when we downed tools and let them stay up. Something must have gone wrong with him though - played 39 games last year, fell out with Rowett over his fitness at the start of this season and was promptly put in the freezer until he was released last week.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:58 pm

Surely the chances of us finding this creative gem are pretty slim? There's not many in the first place, and given we can only sign people without a club I doubt there's anyone that could do the job successfully. If we needed someone who could work hard and do a steady job we'd probably be ok, but can't see us getting anything creative.

Do you have anyone in mind? (Not having a go, I'm not up to speed on who is a free agent at the moment aside from the chap in big brother!)

Whookam
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Whookam » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:50 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Whookam wrote:

Don't get your hopes up.
I don't understand this.. Surely that shows his level is above this.
No, he was scoring goals in this league when he was considerably younger. To suggest that his record from 8 years ago is still relevant is incorrect.

His goal scoring record now is poor, admittedly from a league above.