Hanging on, January Transfer Window thread 2017

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Hanging on, January Transfer Window thread 2017

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:40 pm

^..So eligible to be away for the ACN..? That won't help us a lot if he should....
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:10 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:^..So eligible to be away for the ACN..? That won't help us a lot if he should....
Not going to be a problem. Ranked outside the top 100, the Central African Republic haven't qualified. For anything. Ever.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:46 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:^..So eligible to be away for the ACN..? That won't help us a lot if he should....
Not going to be a problem. Ranked outside the top 100, the Central African Republic haven't qualified. For anything. Ever.
Ah, right. Cheers..
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:40 pm

Like you I had a quick shufti at their ACN qualifying record this afternoon. It read a bit like the rhyme for remembering the fate of Henry VIII's wives.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:35 pm

They are, however, dead-on certs to qualify for the 2026 World Cup now. :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:52 pm

We won't be bringing in Kevin Nolan this window. He's the new manager of Notts County.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:37 am

Keshi gone back to Palace according to Iles.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:38 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:Keshi gone back to Palace according to Iles.
Squad place freed up, which is good unless the FL have run out of patience with our owners.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:20 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:Keshi gone back to Palace according to Iles.
Per BN:
I had a good chat with Mark Bright at Palace and we mutually agreed it was the best thing for Keshi and for both clubs. He hasn’t figured as much as he or Palace would have liked. He got in the team when he first came here and we have been on a terrific run and it has been hard to get him in the side. For his development he needs to go somewhere he is going to play. It is also a chance for us to bring another player in and it had to be a joint agreement for Keshi to go back. Now we’re in a situation to do a bit of business.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:41 am

Fair enough. Was worth the chance but wasn't able to force himself in. We really are looking short up top though. Think there's a player in Clayton but we haven't time for him to find his feet and Proctor adds nothing. Not to mention we're lumbered with that stump as our best option through the middle.

Got to be looking to get two in (hopefully one being Ameobi on his way back).
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:43 am

The BEN mentions both Ameobi and Le Fondre as possibilities. To me getting those two would be perfect..

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:16 pm

I imagine it might cost a bit more to get ALF plus Ameobi-after-a-successful-loan than a teenage-nonleague-maybe plus Ameobi-when-he-hadn't-had-a-good-game-in-years.

So this is where we hand over to Anderson & Anderson, father-and-son firm, making deals and occasionally even honouring the contracts. ("Sorry about that, Newcastle, cheque's in the post. Can we have Sammy back?")

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:34 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:I imagine it might cost a bit more to get ALF plus Ameobi-after-a-successful-loan than a teenage-nonleague-maybe plus Ameobi-when-he-hadn't-had-a-good-game-in-years.

So this is where we hand over to Anderson & Anderson, father-and-son firm, making deals and occasionally even honouring the contracts. ("Sorry about that, Newcastle, cheque's in the post. Can we have Sammy back?")
If the contract genuinely hadn't been honoured I think we'd hear a LOT more of it from Newcastle's end. And the only report was Iles, who doesn't seem entirely sure of his story.

I suspect it's all part of the haggling process. If we genuinely broke the deal, there is zero chance of him coming back.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:43 pm

Can't see him getting a new contract there (particularly if they go up). Makes sense for them to wait to the end of the month while they need him on the bench, then see if they can get any cash at all for him (/more % of wages if we're not paying the lot) before sending him back to us. Wouldn't be surprised if someone with more cash than us took a punt on him given how well he's played.

From what I've heard he's genuinely enjoyed it here and appreciates the faith PP has had in him. Not all up to him though and if someone else offers him the full time contract...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:55 pm

Prufrock wrote:Can't see him getting a new contract there (particularly if they go up). Makes sense for them to wait to the end of the month while they need him on the bench, then see if they can get any cash at all for him (/more % of wages if we're not paying the lot) before sending him back to us. Wouldn't be surprised if someone with more cash than us took a punt on him given how well he's played.

From what I've heard he's genuinely enjoyed it here and appreciates the faith PP has had in him. Not all up to him though and if someone else offers him the full time contract...
Aye, they may want to see if there is a fee out there for him. Or even a loan fee. We can't pay either under the terms of our embargo.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:22 pm

Or even higher wage contribution (I'd be surprised if we were covering the lot. Don't know what he's on, but it's Newcastle so it's not going to a carefully decided reflection of his market worth!)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:49 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:If the contract genuinely hadn't been honoured I think we'd hear a LOT more of it from Newcastle's end. And the only report was Iles, who doesn't seem entirely sure of his story.
Aye, maybe. But when Ameobi went back, Parky told the BN "I think there has been some issues with the money etc." And in today's match report Iles repeats "Ameobi’s return to Newcastle also had financial connotations".

Maybe he doesn't want paying in the new fivers... :D

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:59 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:If the contract genuinely hadn't been honoured I think we'd hear a LOT more of it from Newcastle's end. And the only report was Iles, who doesn't seem entirely sure of his story.
Aye, maybe. But when Ameobi went back, Parky told the BN "I think there has been some issues with the money etc." And in today's match report Iles repeats "Ameobi’s return to Newcastle also had financial connotations".

Maybe he doesn't want paying in the new fivers... :D
Yeah, but what the financial issue was isn't clear. Could be that Newcaslte want a loan fee we can't pay. Not saying that's the case. Just think there'd have been a big old fuss if we hadn't paid what we owed. #hope

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:14 pm

If there's a loan fee we can't pay, that's us not honouring the contract, presumably...

These things can be worked out: where there's a will, etc. But I do agree with Pru (and you) that we might be outbid; our financial strictures (cashflow and legislative) might merely help others blow us out the water.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:26 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:If there's a loan fee we can't pay, that's us not honouring the contract, presumably...

These things can be worked out: where there's a will, etc. But I do agree with Pru (and you) that we might be outbid; our financial strictures (cashflow and legislative) might merely help others blow us out the water.
I mean we don't know if it was finance for the previous loan, or finance for a new loan deal that was the issue Parky referred to.