Hanging on, January Transfer Window thread 2017

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Re: Hanging on, January Transfer Window thread 2017

Post by TKIZ! » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:23 pm

Scunny have signed Craig Davies on loan yesterday. Means they would be out the hunt for Le Fondre. Lots to think about for Anderson.
Pfffft.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:30 pm

TKIZ! wrote:Scunny have signed Craig Davies on loan yesterday. Means they would be out the hunt for Le Fondre. Lots to think about for Anderson.
Good signing for Scunthorpe - too good for league 1 if he can stay fit, therefore we need to respond if the club is serious about automatic promotion, we need a goal scorer someone like Le Fondre....

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:51 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
TKIZ! wrote:Scunny have signed Craig Davies on loan yesterday. Means they would be out the hunt for Le Fondre. Lots to think about for Anderson.
Good signing for Scunthorpe - too good for league 1 if he can stay fit, therefore we need to respond if the club is serious about automatic promotion, we need a goal scorer someone like Le Fondre....
5 in 15 two seasons ago for Preston in this Division.
Pfffft.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:00 pm

Apart from the odd outlier, 1 in 3 is pretty fair. That's 15 for the season...

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:07 pm

Worthy4England wrote:Apart from the odd outlier, 1 in 3 is pretty fair. That's 15 for the season...
Very true. Ken has a tough decision to make. Along with getting the accounts submitted
Pfffft.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:22 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Parkinson mentioned the embargo was still restrictive after the match today. He didn't sound overly hopeful of further in comings either. Talked about 'if we have to go with the small squad we've got let's make sure we work hard and keep the spirit up'.

Embargo might be biting now. Restricted on fees, can't pay loan fees...given Ameobi is out of contract in the summer, our inability to pay even a modest fee might scupper that deal if Newcastle want to sell him.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:39 pm

From Parky's perspective this must be becoming a pretty shoddy situation. I am sure he joined us on the basis that there was a chance of the embargo being in place for the summer TW, despite KA's public comments to the contrary, but that it would be out of sight by now. And there is no sign of DH/KA sorting out their business any time soon judging by recent statements, and so no chance of submitting a coherent business plan to the Football League, and thus no chance of ending the embargo. Right now it doesn't look certain that the embargo would be lifted before the summer TW.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:10 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:From Parky's perspective this must be becoming a pretty shoddy situation. I am sure he joined us on the basis that there was a chance of the embargo being in place for the summer TW, despite KA's public comments to the contrary, but that it would be out of sight by now. And there is no sign of DH/KA sorting out their business any time soon judging by recent statements, and so no chance of submitting a coherent business plan to the Football League, and thus no chance of ending the embargo. Right now it doesn't look certain that the embargo would be lifted before the summer TW.
I think Parky will be disappointed that he can't bring a couple in easily this window. Personally I'd be happy with just Ameobi back. Without him I feel we are lacking some creativity.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:25 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:From Parky's perspective this must be becoming a pretty shoddy situation. I am sure he joined us on the basis that there was a chance of the embargo being in place for the summer TW, despite KA's public comments to the contrary, but that it would be out of sight by now. And there is no sign of DH/KA sorting out their business any time soon judging by recent statements, and so no chance of submitting a coherent business plan to the Football League, and thus no chance of ending the embargo. Right now it doesn't look certain that the embargo would be lifted before the summer TW.
I think Parky will be disappointed that he can't bring a couple in easily this window. Personally I'd be happy with just Ameobi back. Without him I feel we are lacking some creativity.
As I said in a different thread I think Ameobi brings a balance. That left footer who can easily come inside really works with Clough and Vela. Henry offers a lot more going down the wing and getting crosses into the box. But at the end of the day, the crosses are more often than not aimed at Madine who just doesn't finish. So unless Henry adds a lot of goals himself, which isn't impossible, I think we lose a lot of supply of chances to Clough and to a lesser extent Vela, meaning less goals.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:36 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
As I said in a different thread I think Ameobi brings a balance. That left footer who can easily come inside really works with Clough and Vela. Henry offers a lot more going down the wing and getting crosses into the box. But at the end of the day, the crosses are more often than not aimed at Madine who just doesn't finish. So unless Henry adds a lot of goals himself, which isn't impossible, I think we lose a lot of supply of chances to Clough and to a lesser extent Vela, meaning less goals.
Think Madine will score a few in the air to be honest. I think the issue with Henry is that generally there aren't enough getting in the box for him. But I do like Henry.

This may be controversial, but if someone came in with money for Clough that meant we could sign Ameobi and Le Fondre, I think I'd go for that. Clough for me, doesn't offer enough outside the box and we aren't getting him enough chances in it. Good player, but I don't think he fits with is that well right now and he is very, very lightweight.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:06 pm

I think i'll wait until feb 1st before judging this transfer window. Henry signed already and he looks more settled than September so thats a good start.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:08 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote: Think Madine will score a few in the air to be honest.
You fecking what?
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:11 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
You fecking what?
We haven't exactly been a team to put that many crosses in for him this season. With the right service I think he'd score a few as he did for Sheff Weds.

He was brilliant today. Incidentally.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:38 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
You fecking what?
We haven't exactly been a team to put that many crosses in for him this season. With the right service I think he'd score a few as he did for Sheff Weds.

He was brilliant today. Incidentally.
Will have to take you at your word regarding yesterday, but I've seen plenty enough of his headers from within the six yard box that he's completely missed the target with for me not to be hanging my hat on him anytime soon.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:27 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Think Madine will score a few in the air to be honest. I think the issue with Henry is that generally there aren't enough getting in the box for him. But I do like Henry.

This may be controversial, but if someone came in with money for Clough that meant we could sign Ameobi and Le Fondre, I think I'd go for that. Clough for me, doesn't offer enough outside the box and we aren't getting him enough chances in it. Good player, but I don't think he fits with is that well right now and he is very, very lightweight.
Ameobi and Le Fondre individually will both be on more money than Clough, and significantly more than the average League One player.

I like both, but this seems to be how we got into trouble in the first place. Le Fondre is 30 and in the middle of a career slump, and Ameobi is less proven than Clough is, despite being three years older.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:20 pm

Tombwfc wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Ameobi and Le Fondre individually will both be on more money than Clough, and significantly more than the average League One player.

I like both, but this seems to be how we got into trouble in the first place. Le Fondre is 30 and in the middle of a career slump, and Ameobi is less proven than Clough is, despite being three years older.
Well, I guess both would only be till the end of the season on loan. And the Clough money would help cover enough of their wages.

I agree in terms of the short term issue. However, I feel promotion has to be the aim now. And I guess we just have to try and maximise what we can do.

Hypothetical as I'm not sure Clough is in high enough demand to command a large enough fee.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:25 pm

Well, I guess both would only be till the end of the season on loan. And the Clough money would help cover enough of their wages.

I agree in terms of the short term issue. However, I feel promotion has to be the aim now. And I guess we just have to try and maximise what we can do.

Hypothetical as I'm not sure Clough is in high enough demand to command a large enough fee.
Sorry, I thought you meant signing them permanently. I think doing that would be a mistake, but selling Clough for four months of ALF and Ameobi would be the most mental thing we've ever done.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:22 am

Parky, BN:
There isn’t anything happening at the moment. It’s still a numbers game. There are players we can get but unfortunately we’re limited to a certain number. Hopefully there will be none out, because we want to keep all the players, and we haven’t had any enquiries. The chairman has been strong on that one.

By the end of the window we will hopefully move things around. There is a little bit of room for manoeuvre. We have got to make some skilled decisions between myself and the board. The most important thing is we don’t want to lose any of our best young players.

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:46 am

Tombwfc wrote:

Sorry, I thought you meant signing them permanently. I think doing that would be a mistake, but selling Clough for four months of ALF and Ameobi would be among the most mental things we've ever done.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:54 am

Dr Hotdog wrote:
Tombwfc wrote:

Sorry, I thought you meant signing them permanently. I think doing that would be a mistake, but selling Clough for four months of ALF and Ameobi would be among the most mental things we've ever done.
It'd be number one with a bullet. Although I know this isn't a realistic proposition, just BWFCI doubling down on the idea that our 21-year-old forward, who leads the team in goals and assists, is total shite. Nevertheless, even his own scenario would leave us (were we to miss out on promotion), in League One without Ameobi, Le Fondre or Clough, and having already spunked the money generated from the sale of the latter to pay loan fees for the other two.

That's got to be worse than appointing Sammy Lee or giving a three year deal to a 31-year-old Keith Andrews.