Mark Came up top: Swindon (H) Sat 14 Jan 3pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Re: Mark Came up top: Swindon (H) Sat 14 Jan 3pm

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:02 pm

Can't agree with much of PTs rant.

We didnt play too badly imo. We are too pedestrian at times breaking out from defence and too often the opposition have all eleven behind the ball by the time we're on the attack. Something they did very well today to be fair.

Clough was desperately unlucky and their keeper made a great save from the impressive Henry which would have put us two up. Madine worse than Ian Moores? Are you mad PT? He's a poor striker I'll grant you but he did some superb work in the 2nd half with great hold up play, it's just a pity Vela was off the pace today and Clough is in the middle of a drought.

We don't score enough for me to get a top 2 spot but play offs should be easily achievable. Relying on our defence means we'll get done occasionally like today. After last season I'll take that.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:06 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:Can't agree with much of PTs rant.

We didnt play too badly imo. We are too pedestrian at times breaking out from defence and too often the opposition have all eleven behind the ball by the time we're on the attack. Something they did very well today to be fair.

Clough was desperately unlucky and their keeper made a great save from the impressive Henry which would have put us two up. Madine worse than Ian Moores? Are you mad PT? He's a poor striker I'll grant you but he did some superb work in the 2nd half with great hold up play, it's just a pity Vela was off the pace today and Clough is in the middle of a drought.

We don't score enough for me to get a top 2 spot but play offs should be easily achievable. Relying on our defence means we'll get done occasionally like today. After last season I'll take that.
Agreed. We didn't play terribly. Or with 'shit tactics'. We dominated a game but got done on the break twice. We didn't create enough, or take the ones we did enough.

I think it's clear that we don't really have enough goals in this team to go up automatically. It isn't just a striker either. Clough is wasteful. Henry misses chances. And Vela for all his work seems to be dropping levels from pre Christmas.

But we have what we have, and like you say this is massively better than last season. The concern of course is what happens if we don't go up. But there are still a lot of games to go. I think we are going to give it a go, can't ask for much more.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:06 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:'Kinell son take a chill pill. 5 points ahead of 4th place and a game in hand. Be reet.
Ok Gazza I'll chill - but we seriously are not very good, we are very lucky to be 3rd in a truly awful League 1

This team if promoted by the play offs would come down with a record lowest number of points - we probably play the worst style of football in the top half of League 1. We just don't look like a football team, absolutely no movement in midfield - the opposition work harder than us, run & move better - many of our players come off the pitch having not broke sweat.

Our team (on paper) should be running away with League 1, but our players (IMO) don't appear to have the mental strength required to get promoted - Swindon deserved that today, they wanted it more than our players & that is the worry.

Finally what will be reet IMO ?
I can understand your annoyance if it was as bad as that PT but to be honest a good run which we had created false hope and expectations.
talking to mates who watch them regular and reading various comments for sources it would seem rare that the Wanderers have played well, tightened up slightly, but never able to boss the majority and fluke the bad day.
These 'special measures' we are under and what appears a lack of any funding will do for us over the course of the season, blame who you like for our position but I reckon first chance KA has to get out with his cash back will be taken.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:14 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:Is there any sherry left in Horwich? :shock:
I'm on the Rum already now AT.... :D
Don't mix with brandy or you'll need a new liver :lol:

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:31 pm

What disappointed me more than anything today is that we yet again with over 1/2 season gone, looked like a team of total strangers, Swindon fought more than us, looked like they wanted the win more than us - this Parkinson tactic of aimless long balls to Madine based at winning the percentage knock down / scraps game needs to stop- we are so easy to play against as an opposition manager...most can see that Madine is simply not good enough (technically or aggressively - he's soft as shit on a football pitch)

We simply have no pace up front, we don't get behind teams we can't open up teams, we don't even out work teams - we are robotic in our play, we certainly don't outplay teams and that is even against lower league teams who's entire wage bill would struggle to pay for even one of our over paid wankers

For those who say its just one of those days....what about Southend, Oxford and now Swindon at home ! - when you look at the line up of the teams today - how many of Swindon's team had you previously heard of ? - we still have a team of overpaid arseholes who don't work hard enough or show anywhere near enough desire or passion (IMO of course)
Last edited by Peter Thompson on Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:32 pm

I can but go off the commentary, but our inability to score or put chances away is decidedly our Achilles heel. It's been mentioned that we should defend a lead, but in my view opposition teams (and more so their managers) must all have realised we are vulnerable on the break, main reason being that despite all our pressure nobody is scoring. We will have missed Ameobi who might have created something round their box, but our lack of a goalscorer is highlighted when a central defender is our biggest goal threat. The more we press and commit men forward with no real threat, the more chance we'll get hit on the break. No disaster today, but a real chance to close it all up at the top. Opportunity knocked and we didnt open the door.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:33 pm

The biggest issue in my opinion is the lack of quality to change a game on the bench. Its at the point where we need to bring Clayton on to change it, and he's played about 10 games for us. The signings Parky made for the full season, Procter, Chris Taylor, Anderson are all utter shite. All of them have contributed nothing this season. We cant afford to carry players in this squad if we are serious about automatic promotion. Those 3 wages could well cost us resigning Aneobi for example - does Ken allow Parky to cut his losses on them and put some more cash in?

If we want to go up we cant afford to lose games like today. Thats 3 more points we need to find on the road now.

Tired legs as well - maybe he didnt rest enough players of christmas. Maybe we dont need the cup run.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:36 pm

Dorian der-feck*-vite as well. Theres another waste of a wage/swuad place. One parky cant be blamed for, but we really need to work at moving him on to free up a place this window.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:38 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:I can but go off the commentary, but our inability to score or put chances away is decidedly our Achilles heel. It's been mentioned that we should defend a lead, but in my view opposition teams (and more so their managers) must all have realised we are vulnerable on the break, main reason being that despite all our pressure nobody is scoring. We will have missed Ameobi who might have created something round their box, but our lack of a goalscorer is highlighted when a central defender is our biggest goal threat. The more we press and commit men forward with no real threat, the more chance we'll get hit on the break. No disaster today, but a real chance to close it all up at the top. Opportunity knocked and we didnt open the door.
In fairness we don't miss loads of glaring chances, or at least we didn't today. We had lots of opportunities but the final ball wasn't good enough. Plus for me we missed the extra creativity from Ameobi.

I mean I agree there is a lack of goals in the side. But it's a combination of a few things.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:43 pm

And as a final thought, I'll add this and take loads of shit for it, but whatever. Clough is massively overrated. Had loads of ball today and loads of chances to setup chances and wasted them.

He's a good league one player in my view. And needs huge improvement to be any more than that. And I frankly don't see it.
Last edited by BWFC_Insane on Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:47 pm

I'll give you this. He needs some support.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:50 pm

officer_dibble wrote:The biggest issue in my opinion is the lack of quality to change a game on the bench. Its at the point where we need to bring Clayton on to change it, and he's played about 10 games for us. The signings Parky made for the full season, Procter, Chris Taylor, Anderson are all utter shite. All of them have contributed nothing this season. We cant afford to carry players in this squad if we are serious about automatic promotion. Those 3 wages could well cost us resigning Aneobi for example - does Ken allow Parky to cut his losses on them and put some more cash in?

If we want to go up we cant afford to lose games like today. Thats 3 more points we need to find on the road now.

Tired legs as well - maybe he didnt rest enough players of christmas. Maybe we dont need the cup run.
My issue is the complete lack of quality in the starting XI - we create nothing from open play, we don't play at a high enough tempo to even trouble League 1 teams, we don't pass & move the ball quickly enough with any intent - there is little overlapping going forward, players receive the ball when stood still - its basic football that we struggle to play. We continually play sideways & backwards because we don't have an option in midfield.

Our immobile midfield is the issue, they just amble forward when we attack - IMO we are as disjointed as any team that we have put out over the past 5-6 years, its just that League 1 is shit and is the level that probably suits most of our players....which is why we are 3rd. I'm sick of people making excuses for the manager & players, the apathy (from owners, players & fans) has gone on for 5-6 years now, to the extent that losing to a Swindon team at home that hadn't won in 10 games (who deserved the win BTW) , 6th off the bottom in League 1 is acceptable.....

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:51 pm

officer_dibble wrote:I'll give you this. He needs some support.
Support? He had loads in the box to pick out a few times second half and every time he fluffed it.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:53 pm

No as in we need players to play instead of him/ drop / rest / rotate him for. He cant carry the team on his own, he has bad days like today, so someone else needs to step up.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:54 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:And as a final thought, I'll add this and take loads of shit for it, but whatever. Clough is massively overrated. Had loads of ball today and loads of chances to setup chances and wasted them.

He's a good league one player in my view. And needs huge improvement to be any more than that. And I frankly don't see it.

No shit from me - he's a luxury that we simply can't afford being played out wide left....

But I think that the way we play doesn't help Clough, we move the ball so slowly at such a slow tempo that it doesn't suit most of our players

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:59 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:And as a final thought, I'll add this and take loads of shit for it, but whatever. Clough is massively overrated. Had loads of ball today and loads of chances to setup chances and wasted them.
In fairness we don't miss loads of glaring chances, or at least we didn't today.
Which is it?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:14 pm

I agree with OD in the fact we can't change things with players coming off the bench. Most of those subs I wouldn't have on the pitch, so if any of the 1st team are not doing so well/having an off day, we can't change it....and imo some of the players on that pitch looked jaded to me. The Swindon players killed us for pace an.d I thought they were the better team

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:21 pm

twilight wrote:I agree with OD in the fact we can't change things with players coming off the bench. Most of those subs I wouldn't have on the pitch, so if any of the 1st team are not doing so well/having an off day, we can't change it....and imo some of the players on that pitch looked jaded to me. The Swindon players killed us for pace an.d I thought they were the better team
This.

All the talk of them lacking passion and desire is nonsense, they're knackered and understandably so. The transfer embargo that we're under is probably going to do for us, at least in terms of automatic promotion. That and that we don't have a natural goalscorer who can make the most of our decent enough approach play.
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:28 pm

Definitely lacking quality up front. Can't remember where I read it but suggestions that we don't need ALF are bonkers. We play very negative football a lot of the time and rely on a bit of magic from a couple of players. With Ameobi gone and Clough misfiring we need alternatives.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:33 pm

Nicko58 wrote:
twilight wrote:I agree with OD in the fact we can't change things with players coming off the bench. Most of those subs I wouldn't have on the pitch, so if any of the 1st team are not doing so well/having an off day, we can't change it....and imo some of the players on that pitch looked jaded to me. The Swindon players killed us for pace an.d I thought they were the better team
This.

All the talk of them lacking passion and desire is nonsense, they're knackered and understandably so. The transfer embargo that we're under is probably going to do for us, at least in terms of automatic promotion. That and that we don't have a natural goalscorer who can make the most of our decent enough approach play.
I'm sorry but I'm not having this, they've are 'so called' professional football players who have not played a game for 7 days - how can they be knackered FFS....its only a game of football and is the same for both sides - so are Swindon fitter than us then ?