Mark Came up top: Swindon (H) Sat 14 Jan 3pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Mark Came up top: Swindon (H) Sat 14 Jan 3pm

Post by twilight » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:43 pm

Swindon looked the fresher team in the last 10-15 minutes and they seemed to have more players on the pitch than us. Haven't they just signed 4 new players? Maybe they've been able to freshen their squad up more.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:58 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:And as a final thought, I'll add this and take loads of shit for it, but whatever. Clough is massively overrated. Had loads of ball today and loads of chances to setup chances and wasted them.
In fairness we don't miss loads of glaring chances, or at least we didn't today.
Which is it?
It wasn't a case of finishing, so much as that of a good final ball.

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:08 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Nicko58 wrote:
twilight wrote:I agree with OD in the fact we can't change things with players coming off the bench. Most of those subs I wouldn't have on the pitch, so if any of the 1st team are not doing so well/having an off day, we can't change it....and imo some of the players on that pitch looked jaded to me. The Swindon players killed us for pace an.d I thought they were the better team
This.

All the talk of them lacking passion and desire is nonsense, they're knackered and understandably so. The transfer embargo that we're under is probably going to do for us, at least in terms of automatic promotion. That and that we don't have a natural goalscorer who can make the most of our decent enough approach play.
I'm sorry but I'm not having this, they've are 'so called' professional football players who have not played a game for 7 days - how can they be knackered FFS....its only a game of football and is the same for both sides - so are Swindon fitter than us then ?
They made at least four changes to their line-up today. We name the same starting eleven week in, week out. So yes, they probably are as it stands.
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:14 pm

And on the subject of lacking passion and desire, the irony is that we lost the match today because we were trying too hard to win it and were caught on the break.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:15 pm

Nicko58 wrote:
Peter Thompson wrote:
Nicko58 wrote:
twilight wrote:I agree with OD in the fact we can't change things with players coming off the bench. Most of those subs I wouldn't have on the pitch, so if any of the 1st team are not doing so well/having an off day, we can't change it....and imo some of the players on that pitch looked jaded to me. The Swindon players killed us for pace an.d I thought they were the better team
This.

All the talk of them lacking passion and desire is nonsense, they're knackered and understandably so. The transfer embargo that we're under is probably going to do for us, at least in terms of automatic promotion. That and that we don't have a natural goalscorer who can make the most of our decent enough approach play.
I'm sorry but I'm not having this, they've are 'so called' professional football players who have not played a game for 7 days - how can they be knackered FFS....its only a game of football and is the same for both sides - so are Swindon fitter than us then ?
They made at least four changes to their line-up today. We name the same starting eleven week in, week out. So yes, they probably are as it stands.
I'm seriously struggling with this - they played 4 new loan players who hadn't played or trained with their team mates before today but that's the reason we lost because they were fresher.

If its so simple & that's the case why didn't we just play C Taylor, K Anderson, Derik & Clayton or are their 4 unknown loan players better than our 4 reserves ?, stop making excuses...

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:20 pm

Nicko58 wrote:And on the subject of lacking passion and desire, the irony is that we lost the match today because we were trying too hard to win it and were caught on the break.
Not the same is it sunshine - passion & desire is about trying to be first to the ball for 90 mins, busting a gut for 90 mins, showing yourself and moving into forward areas / space & wanting the ball, playing at a high / quicker tempo - its not about replacing a defensive midfielder or defender late on throwing 2 forwards on chasing the game in the last 10-15 mins.....that's desperation !

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:22 pm

So what exactly are you saying P.T, that we should automatically win every match or we're rubbish? All the teams in this league are there for a reason, the reason that they're generally no better, no worse than us. We're a game behind, third in the league and still in the cup and we lost one today from, as someone else said, because of a desire to win it, not a couldn't care less attitude. I find your attitude odd to say the least, but hey, I wasn't there, so mine is just an opinion.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:26 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Nicko58 wrote:
Peter Thompson wrote:
Nicko58 wrote:
This.

I'm seriously struggling with this - they played 4 new loan players who hadn't played or trained with their team mates before today but that's the reason we lost because they were fresher.

If its so simple & that's the case why didn't we just play C Taylor, K Anderson, Derik & Clayton or are their 4 unknown loan players better than our 4 reserves ?, stop making excuses...
Are they no good because you haven't heard of them, then? I've never understood that logic.

Ultimately, you can think what you like but there's only so long that you can play the same eleven players each week before it begins to take its toll. The warning signs have been there for a couple of weeks now, and I think even Parky mentioned that Wheater was running on empty recently.

We might both be wrong as to the reason that we lost, of course, but it sure as shit isn't because we lack passion.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:27 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:So what exactly are you saying P.T, that we should automatically win every match or we're rubbish? All the teams in this league are there for a reason, the reason that they're generally no better, no worse than us. We're a game behind, third in the league and still in the cup and we lost one today from, as someone else said, because of a desire to win it, not a couldn't care less attitude. I find your attitude odd to say the least, but hey, I wasn't there, so mine is just an opinion.
We weren't at our best, but it's not like we were terrible. Ultimately we easily could and should have won it.

They did trouble us on the break last 20 minutes though.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:36 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:So what exactly are you saying P.T, that we should automatically win every match or we're rubbish? All the teams in this league are there for a reason, the reason that they're generally no better, no worse than us. We're a game behind, third in the league and still in the cup and we lost one today from, as someone else said, because of a desire to win it, not a couldn't care less attitude. I find your attitude odd to say the least, but hey, I wasn't there, so mine is just an opinion.
Tango I find you equally as odd believe me - you appear to live in an airy fairy everything is great land of Oz - in reality as an explanation, we are at home to a side 6th bottom of the league, not won a game in 10 - we have a mainly championship level side with the likes of Wheater, Beevers, Clough, Henry, Spearing, Vela etc (hindered by the likes of Madine admittedly !!) - we are 3rd from top - are we not expected to beat the likes of Swindon then...?

By the way the cup is nothing but a total distraction.....and are you saying that our team is no better than Swindon's so todays result is as expected then ?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:43 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Tango I find you equally as odd believe me - you appear to live in an airy fairy everything is great land of Oz - in reality as an explanation, we are at home to a side 6th bottom of the league, not won a game in 10 - we have a mainly championship level side with the likes of Wheater, Beevers, Clough, Henry, Spearing, Vela etc (hindered by the likes of Madine admittedly !!) - we are 3rd from top - are we not expected to beat the likes of Swindon then...?

By the way the cup is nothing but a total distraction.....and are you saying that our team is no better than Swindon's so todays result is as expected then ?
But you've previously said they are all shite?

I think the point is, that we didn't play badly, but our final ball wasn't great, and they caught us on the break twice.

We aren't going to win every week and this ends a fantastic run of home form. We just have to get going again. Not sure there is any justification for such a reaction, to be perfectly honest.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:50 pm

BWFCI full of shite as usual....

I've never said they are 'all' shite - rightly or wrongly I do at least try to back up my posts in regards to our style of non football and what we should be doing or what the team are not doing etc...

Personally I thought we where awful today, and to say they caught us on the beak twice is unfair on Swindon - we don't press enough or force games, we are naïve as a team.

I agree that we will not win every game but we have struggled in too many games against poor lower league 1 teams to suggest that we are a decent team, and in several games in the good home run we have been a little fortunate would you not agree.

I'll continue to be realistic, although admittedly a bit knee jerk - but by all mean you continue to be totally blinkered....

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:52 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Swindon had four new players in today, so how do I know how good they are now as opposed to last week? It's a daft and unpredictable league where anything can, and does, happen. Bury scored five today with Vaughan getting four. Are you dashing down to the bookies to back them next game? All the talk this week has been of a good and positive attitude and feeling around the ground and amongs the players. I guess you don't share that then?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:58 pm

TANGODANCER wrote: Swindon had four new players in today, so how do I know how good they are now as opposed to last week? It's a daft and unpredictable league where anything can, and does, happen. Bury scored five today with Vaughan getting four. Are you dashing down to the bookies to back them next game? All the talk this week has been of a good and positive attitude and feeling around the ground and amongs the players. I guess you don't share that then?
Obviously worked today then.....

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:01 pm

PT in full Kevin the Teenager super-tart nearly funny enough to make up for the result. Nearly.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:22 pm

Prufrock wrote:PT in full Kevin the Teenager super-tart nearly funny enough to make up for the result. Nearly.
Hilarious....

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:24 pm

fine margins as one mr O Coyle used to say.
1st half was a bit meh - albeit we dominated possession (but not really in a goals gonna come in a minute)
2nd - fantastic goal by wheater - our best bit of play for 20-25 mins, should have had at least one more. Last 20 mins they came back into it and it became end to end. Thought they played the counterattack v well, good movement and pace, at same time the space they were given was criminal.

There is truth in what PT says - we are stodgy, frequently lack pace and movement and therefore dont move the ball or opposition with zip - far too many times the sideways or backward pass kills any momentum. Having said that we are doing OK results wise from the style we've adopted - just think we always likely to suffer like today becuase we dont score enough goals and our games are always tight.

As regards cloughy - he has skill, but to me is lightweight & not particularly quick. More importantly I wish he just had more of an edge - just seems too soft to me

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:27 pm

A lose and its the start of an Apocalypse!

we've got a team who are mainly Championship level??? but oddly enough we were fvcking spanked last season!

Are we the first team in history to lose to a (near) bottom team?? Nah!

I've said it loads of times! considering everything that has happened with our club over the last few years, I think i can just about digest this horrible result!!!!
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:29 pm

StaffsTrotter wrote:fine margins as one mr O Coyle used to say.
1st half was a bit meh - albeit we dominated possession (but not really in a goals gonna come in a minute)
2nd - fantastic goal by wheater - our best bit of play for 20-25 mins, should have had at least one more. Last 20 mins they came back into it and it became end to end. Thought they played the counterattack v well, good movement and pace, at same time the space they were given was criminal.

There is truth in what PT says - we are stodgy, frequently lack pace and movement and therefore dont move the ball or opposition with zip - far too many times the sideways or backward pass kills any momentum. Having said that we are doing OK results wise from the style we've adopted - just think we always likely to suffer like today becuase we dont score enough goals and our games are always tight.

As regards cloughy - he has skill, but to me is lightweight & not particularly quick. More importantly I wish he just had more of an edge - just seems too soft to me

by some, Marcos Alonso was too lightweight, not quick enough and to error prone! lad scored twice today against the champs!
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:40 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:I've noticed that Ziggy Seagraves is playing in that video. Was Simon Coleman already injured at this point? I thought it was much later in the season?

And that pitch looks a f*cking disgrace, by the way!
A couple of weeks before at Derby. If memory serves (which it rarely does these days) it was a broken leg and Gabbiadini had summat to do with it.
May the bridges I burn light your way