Saddling up Saturday

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Saddling up Saturday

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:52 pm

Andy Waller wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Andy Waller wrote:But that's the whole point, it should be how he measures up in the league. That's why we're playing in a err... league.

At the moment in said league, there's two teams better at converting chances when it matters and twenty one worse.

In our predicament, that's not bad is it?

Is he a great footballer? No
Is he contributing to a decent side? Yes.
That fact that he makes no effort to get on the end of crosses has absolutely nothing to do with anybody anywhere else. It's quite simple. Well, to me it is.
Apart from that one he scored on Saturday?
:lol:

And that was his first in how many games? Remind me. And how many times did the Portuguese fella cross the ball into the box which Madine was either too thick to foresee or too lazy to make an effort to get on the end of?

But hey, it's OK because we're in the third division!
May the bridges I burn light your way

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:54 pm

Worthy4England wrote:I once scored a 180 at darts. I'm shit at the game.

I potted the black once. My all-time highest break of 8 :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:58 pm

I think it was tombwfc who said that was the second game Nadine had scored in since August. Pathetic.

His problems are all mental, but they're not going away.

He's not as bad as N'Goggers though.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:00 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:I once scored a 180 at darts. I'm shit at the game.

I potted the black once. My all-time highest break of 8 :D
Integral part of the team mate...All counts. Don't blame yourself. :D

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:42 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Norpig wrote:ARRRRRGH!! Madine is absolutely fecking shite and would not get in most League one teams never mind Championship. Yes we are stuck with him, but we do not have to like it! All those saying he does this and that you are entitled to your opinion but all he does is run around without purpose and wins 35% of headers and score once every blue moon (sods law and all that). I cannot think of another Bolton striker to have played so many times and scored and contributed so little!! IMHO he is the worst Striker we have ever had that has played more than 10 games (I don't count players under 10 games)
Come on. If he plays till the end of the season he'll get into double figures. And he missed a chunk of the season too. That isn't amazing but far and away from the terrible description you seem to want to paint. He's not great. Nobody would suggest there aren't better strikers out there.

But we need someone to compete with centre halves. He does that job and scores the odd goal. Is it an area we could improve? Yes. But have some perspective. He is our second highest goal scorer and second highest "assister" behind Clough. So with Clough gone he's top of goals and top of assists.

I reckon he'd get in a fair few teams in this division. Christ, he's miles ahead of Proctor who has demonstrated that ability.
Where we are in the table has nothing to do with Madine, it's you that needs to give the tinters a clean. Tony Kelly was nicknamed Zico. Here's news for you - he wasn't ;)

This idea that if he knew how to operate as a decent centre forward then he wouldn't be at our place is complete and utter bollocks. I've furnished you with the names of others that could when we were in the exact same position, and lower.
I'm not saying that at all. I'm just trying to balance the arguments a little.

Only 9 players in league one have hit double figures this season so far. Two are at Millwall. Only 4 have gone past 12. The idea that every team in this league has a prolific striker simply isn't true. There are of course better strikers than Madine, would be ridiculous to suggest otherwise. But the notion that there are a load of 20 goals per season men out there we could easily find, is also ridiculous. Plenty to criticise Madine for, but he's not the worst we've ever had nor the worst striker in this league either.
Not every team in this league have a goalscorer - but the ones we're competing with generally do. You mention only 8 teams having a player who's scored 10 or more, but among them are Sheffield United (1st, Billy Sharp - 20 goals), Scunthorpe (2nd, Josh Morris - 18 goals), Fleetwood Town (4th, David Ball - 11 goals), Millwall (6th, Lee Gregory - 11 goals, Steve Morrison & Aiden O'Brien - 10 goals) and Southend (7th, Simon Cox - 10 goals).

Our main striker labouring to double figures in May probably isn't going to cut it.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:02 pm

Tombwfc wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Norpig wrote:ARRRRRGH!! Madine is absolutely fecking shite and would not get in most League one teams never mind Championship. Yes we are stuck with him, but we do not have to like it! All those saying he does this and that you are entitled to your opinion but all he does is run around without purpose and wins 35% of headers and score once every blue moon (sods law and all that). I cannot think of another Bolton striker to have played so many times and scored and contributed so little!! IMHO he is the worst Striker we have ever had that has played more than 10 games (I don't count players under 10 games)
Come on. If he plays till the end of the season he'll get into double figures. And he missed a chunk of the season too. That isn't amazing but far and away from the terrible description you seem to want to paint. He's not great. Nobody would suggest there aren't better strikers out there.

But we need someone to compete with centre halves. He does that job and scores the odd goal. Is it an area we could improve? Yes. But have some perspective. He is our second highest goal scorer and second highest "assister" behind Clough. So with Clough gone he's top of goals and top of assists.

I reckon he'd get in a fair few teams in this division. Christ, he's miles ahead of Proctor who has demonstrated that ability.
Where we are in the table has nothing to do with Madine, it's you that needs to give the tinters a clean. Tony Kelly was nicknamed Zico. Here's news for you - he wasn't ;)

This idea that if he knew how to operate as a decent centre forward then he wouldn't be at our place is complete and utter bollocks. I've furnished you with the names of others that could when we were in the exact same position, and lower.
I'm not saying that at all. I'm just trying to balance the arguments a little.

Only 9 players in league one have hit double figures this season so far. Two are at Millwall. Only 4 have gone past 12. The idea that every team in this league has a prolific striker simply isn't true. There are of course better strikers than Madine, would be ridiculous to suggest otherwise. But the notion that there are a load of 20 goals per season men out there we could easily find, is also ridiculous. Plenty to criticise Madine for, but he's not the worst we've ever had nor the worst striker in this league either.
Not every team in this league have a goalscorer - but the ones we're competing with generally do. You mention only 8 teams having a player who's scored 10 or more, but among them are Sheffield United (1st, Billy Sharp - 20 goals), Scunthorpe (2nd, Josh Morris - 18 goals), Fleetwood Town (4th, David Ball - 11 goals), Millwall (6th, Lee Gregory - 11 goals, Steve Morrison & Aiden O'Brien - 10 goals) and Southend (7th, Simon Cox - 10 goals).

Our main striker labouring to double figures in May probably isn't going to cut it.
Quite, but isn't that what we've added Le Fondre for?