Saddling up Saturday

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Saddling up Saturday

Post by Nicko58 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:17 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:Absolutely fantastic result. Very interested to know what formation we played and how it looked. Hoping for answers of 3-5-2 and great :)
3-5-2. Not great.

We still look pedestrian and they closed our defence down quickly. This left gaps to exploit but we just couldn't take advantage and preferred to knock it back to Alnwick and then lose possession.

Long looked enthusiastic when he came on and took his goal brilliantly
This.

I still think that we should try dropping Madine and going back to 4-2-3-1 if we manage to get a right-back in.
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:35 pm

Nicko58 wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:Absolutely fantastic result. Very interested to know what formation we played and how it looked. Hoping for answers of 3-5-2 and great :)
3-5-2. Not great.

We still look pedestrian and they closed our defence down quickly. This left gaps to exploit but we just couldn't take advantage and preferred to knock it back to Alnwick and then lose possession.

This.

I still think that we should try dropping Madine and going back to 4-2-3-1 if we manage to get a right-back in.
Madine was superb today. Really sometimes have to question what games people watch.

Our issues today stemmed from midfield where Vela went missing too often.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:39 pm

So who played right wing back?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:45 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:So who played right wing back?
Morais. And he had an absolutely cracker. Can cross a ball that lad.

System won't work against a decent winger mind.

But certainly a different option that worked well today.

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:45 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Nicko58 wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:
3-5-2. Not great.

This.

Madine was superb today. Really sometimes have to question what games people watch.

He wasn't superb, he was just superb by his standards. I don't doubt his efforts or disagree that he can make a nuisance of himself but he's very limited and frequently disrupts our link up play. We now have the players to try playing with a bit of pace and movement and, importantly, with the ball on the deck. I think we'd be better off in the long term if we gave that a go.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:49 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Nicko58 wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:
3-5-2. Not great.

This.

I have to wonder what game you watched if you thought Madine was superb Insane. I've defended him a lot on here but today he was at best adequate imo. He has the heart of a pea and the anticipation of one too
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:53 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

System won't work against a decent winger mind.

But certainly a different option that worked well today.
I do agree with this though, he looked very good.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:59 pm

Superb result, and four goals is all that matters Madine playing good or crap!

Don't care if we score off the cows arse, it was one game we really needed to win, with what's gone on this week it seems we really need to go up this season. I'm sorry for those who paid good money and didn't see a Barcelona game but it is all about the result, next game is another day and this will surely boost confidence.

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:11 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:06 pm

Nicko58 wrote:Today's Highlights
Highlights, I know, but looks good to me. Score off set-pieces, shoot accurately from distance, score on the break. Madine with a goal and an assist; a lost cause with a long-ranger; and a cracker from a swift young sub who seems to have plenty to show for himself. Also a new system, which might not work every time but shows a breadth of options and a useful attitude to working around problems. Perhaps not a 4-1 win in the Rioch mould but after the week we've had I think we should all kick off our shoes and enjoy it a little.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:09 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Highlights, I know, but looks good to me. Score off set-pieces, shoot accurately from distance, score on the break. Madine with a goal and an assist; a lost cause with a long-ranger; and a cracker from a swift young sub who seems to have plenty to show for himself. Also a new system, which might not work every time but shows a breadth of options and a useful attitude to working around problems. Perhaps not a 4-1 win in the Rioch mould but after the week we've had I think we should all kick off our shoes and enjoy it a little.
Exactly this. People moan about Madine but most things went through him. It'd be nice to leave him out but we simply don't have the midfield and need to play off a target man. He seemed to link well with ALF and then Long came on and did the running needed.

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:20 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Exactly this. People moan about Madine but most things went through him. It'd be nice to leave him out but we simply don't have the midfield and need to play off a target man. He seemed to link well with ALF and then Long came on and did the running needed.
I enjoyed the win immensely. I just don't agree with you that with the players that we now have at our disposal Madine would necessarily find a starting place in our best eleven, or at least that it wouldn't be worthwhile trying to maximise our attacking potential with the one up front being someone who is capable of making intelligent runs in behind and at pace. I also don't understand how a midfield which contains any combination of Spearing, Derik, Thorpe, Vela, Morias and Henry could be considered as anything but a very good one at this level. However, given what's gone on in the last week and today's result, I accept that it's probably best to leave this for another time. Here's to three points and gaining ground on one of our promotion rivals.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:51 pm

3-1-4-2 in the first half. 8-1-1 for most of the second.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:53 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
And beat his man and use both feet. Stunned, on today's performance, as to how his career never took off.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:55 pm

Is he the one who was at Chelsea as a kid?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:01 am

Prufrock wrote:Is he the one who was at Chelsea as a kid?
Aye.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:16 am

Morais was excellent, Spearing was good, Derik played well and ALF's movement was good - personally I think that the score flattered us a little and I like the look of Long and playing 2 up front, but we were poor & pedestrian 2nd half

Madine was just Madine (not great, lazy but was effective yesterday), but Vela was poor (IMO) we are still far too slow in possession and don't move the ball quickly enough through from midfield.

However, a win is a win and it was much needed with a couple of great goals - and with Scunthorpe losing, England winning the Rugby it was a great day

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:30 am

Prufrock wrote:Is he the one who was at Chelsea as a kid?
Aye.
Apparently he wrote:I asked God to give me the ball in a perfect position to score and that’s how powerful God is
Aye, all right pal :lmfao:
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:11 pm

throwawayboltonian wrote:'fish highlights for those who couldn't make it or want to relive the goals.
Thanks for that mate. Ones I've seen have been crap....
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:44 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
3-1-4-2 in the first half. 8-1-1 for most of the second.
Deliberate from orders due to being in the lead, or tiredness do you reckon ? With another game three days from it, it might be a relevant question. What did it look like, were we saving some energy?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?