The countdown- Where will we finish?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Where will we finish the season?

Champions
8%
Runners Up
49%
1st Play off spot
31%
2nd Play off spot
8%
3rd Play off spot
3%
Final play off spot
No votes
Failure
No votes

Total votes: 61

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

The countdown- Where will we finish?

Post by Bijou Bob » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:09 am

I think it's safe to say we are now in the run in, with just 15 matches left, 6 of those at home. Personally, I think we'll make the 2nd play off spot behind Fleetwood, but only after winning 3 of our last 4. Your prediction?
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Re: The countdown- Where will we finish?

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:13 am

Play offs. Get through to the finals and a day out and Wembley.

Hit the Championship with a bang not a whimper next season.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:16 am

Play offs in my view too. Though we need to keep performances high, a play off place is far from guaranteed.

I think automatic promotion went with the home defeats to Charlton and Swindon. We just couldn't afford those with our away run in.

If we can keep the squad fit and bring a couple back I'd quite fancy our chances in the play offs. But so much of it revolves around mood and form going into them. Ideally if we are to miss out on automatic promotion hopefully we do so in advance of the last couple of games. Nowt worse than going into the play offs off a last day disappointment.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:39 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:I think it's safe to say we are now in the run in, with just 15 matches left, 6 of those at home. Personally, I think we'll make the 2nd play off spot behind Fleetwood, but only after winning 3 of our last 4. Your prediction?
What's to say that well known Champions League contender, Fleetwood, is such a cert not to blow? We need to just forget the lot, concentrate on winning our games (of which our games in hand are paramount) and we'll be fine. Till just lately Fleetwood was famous for kippers ... :lol:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:52 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Bijou Bob wrote:I think it's safe to say we are now in the run in, with just 15 matches left, 6 of those at home. Personally, I think we'll make the 2nd play off spot behind Fleetwood, but only after winning 3 of our last 4. Your prediction?
What's to say that well known Champions League contender, Fleetwood, is such a cert not to blow? We need to just forget the lot, concentrate on winning our games (of which our games in hand are paramount) and we'll be fine. Till just lately Fleetwood was famous for kippers ... :lol:
Well, they've spent more money than about half of the Championship and everybody below that - It's taken a while for them to tick, but ticking, they are!
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:56 pm

I think that a side that can pull a 2-0 away defeat around has the spirit to go all the way, for me. Top two, deffo. ;)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:21 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:I think that a side that can pull a 2-0 away defeat around has the spirit to go all the way, for me. Top two, deffo. ;)
It's the sort of comeback that speaks volumes about our squads desire. However, going two goals down in a key game is not exactly a glowing reference, and without playing down that achievement, Bradford do strike me as flaky this season – I would be surprised if the Blades let us come back from two down.

Parky is to be applauded for orchestrating the comeback with an extraordinarily bold tactical change, and he has consistently done well this season despite injuries. Remember that last summer, many were understandably predicting that we were more likely to do a Blackpool than to bounce back – and the bloody embargo still isn't lifted.

I would love to see us ride to automatic promotion and I think there are a further few twists yet to come, but I think we will finish third – and that will be quite some achievement under the circumstances.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:33 pm

The fact that we don't lack spirit or togetherness this season, in spite of challenging situations on and off the field speaks volumes for Parky and his backroom team.

Ultimately I don't believe you can often win automatic promotion piecing together one team on the last day in August then doing the same again the last day in January. And that for me is why we'll miss out on automatic promotion.

The changes mid season both times, just cost us too much. In September we had to integrate too many new players. In January we needed fresh blood earlier. It is partly down to injuries, part embargo and part just the overall situation. We've just not quite been settled enough over the season to have the consistency required. Just my view.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:40 pm

Safely ease into fourth place and a playoff position. Beat Bradford in two emotionally charged semi-final games, lose to Millwall at Wembley.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:42 pm

Oh aye. You can put Charlton and Swindon at home down to squad disruption. They may well be the 6 points that cost us automatic promotion. We'll just have to win the play offs instead :D

popeyedoyle
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by popeyedoyle » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:35 pm

Still too early to say yet, loads more joy and agonizing between now and t'end of season.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:08 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:I think that a side that can pull a 2-0 away defeat around has the spirit to go all the way, for me. Top two, deffo. ;)
I'd settle for the same set of results from the last 15 in '93 - including a draw away to promotion rivals above us in the table for our next game. :D
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:23 pm

I suppose that in some respects, much of this speaks to what you regard as a 'Successful season'. Last July, that would possibly have been the club's survival, no administration and not suffering a further relegation. Had our accounts read differently last week, then there may have been cause for some optimism. As it is, not to get promoted this season looks like it will leave us with insufficient funding to mount any kind of realistic challenge in future seasons, possibly for a good few years.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:36 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:I suppose that in some respects, much of this speaks to what you regard as a 'Successful season'. Last July, that would possibly have been the club's survival, no administration and not suffering a further relegation. Had our accounts read differently last week, then there may have been cause for some optimism. As it is, not to get promoted this season looks like it will leave us with insufficient funding to mount any kind of realistic challenge in future seasons, possibly for a good few years.
So, we get promoted B.B. Problem solved... :D
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:57 pm

Champions. Easy.
Businesswoman of the year.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:15 pm

It's been a fantastic effort to get where we are now and it would defy the odds if we nicked a top two spot.

Were we to win on Saturday, I think we'd strike a huge psychological blow against both Sheffield and Scunny and I reckon we'd go on to get automatic promotion. Trouble is, I just can't see us winning. I think we'll easily make the play offs but then those extra games will be a step too far :(
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:00 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:Champions. Easy.
That'll do for me. I've opened a bottle of fizzy.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:29 am

I think it is going to be really close. I can see us finishing around the 85 point mark (W8 D3 L4 of the last 15 games), and I think Scunthorpe will be right around the same mark. Hope it doesn't come down to having to beat Peterborough on the last day by 3 goals or something similar, but it wouldn't surprise me. Strap yourselves in, this is going to be a proper nail biter.....

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:16 pm

Somewhere in the top half of the table...... :wink:

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:18 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:I suppose that in some respects, much of this speaks to what you regard as a 'Successful season'. Last July, that would possibly have been the club's survival, no administration and not suffering a further relegation. Had our accounts read differently last week, then there may have been cause for some optimism. As it is, not to get promoted this season looks like it will leave us with insufficient funding to mount any kind of realistic challenge in future seasons, possibly for a good few years.
Whatever people say, I don't think anyone would've been handing out cigars if we'd sat in mid-table with this squad. I think we should've always expected to be at least challenging for the playoffs this season.

Saying that, I make it there have been 48 relegation's involving 39 teams from the Championship to League One and of those only 9 bounced straight back (five as Champions). So it would be a fair achievement for Parky if we did manage it this year.