The countdown- Where will we finish?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Where will we finish the season?

Champions
8%
Runners Up
49%
1st Play off spot
31%
2nd Play off spot
8%
3rd Play off spot
3%
Final play off spot
No votes
Failure
No votes

Total votes: 61

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The countdown- Where will we finish?

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:59 pm

One down, four to go on the antisuperstitious acca. All eyes on Oxford tomorrow...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:30 pm

Questions, not statements: Sitting tenth on sixty-nine points, are Oxford going to be doing anything but cruising comfortably along safely mid table-ish at worst? Sheffield will most likely be going all out to make their game in hand count and get them beyond the reach of anybody as soon s possible, probably moreso after our result tonight. Can/will Oxford really do a job on them by turning the gas up and are Sheffield still feasibly catchable??
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:33 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:30 pm
Questions, not statements: Sitting tenth on sixty-nine points, are Oxford going to be doing anything but cruising comfortably along safely mid table-ish at worst? Sheffield will most likely be going all out to make their game in hand count and get them beyond the reach of anybody as soon s possible, probably moreso after our result tonight. Can/will Oxford really do a job on them by turning the gas up and are Sheffield still feasibly catchable??
Oxford play Fleetwood tomorrow.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:40 pm

Oxford are playing Fleetwood. Sheffield have on paper their easiest game of the season at home to doomed bottom club Coventry. Top 2 are set now and we aren't catching them IMO.
Nice as it would be who cares?! :oyea:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:17 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:40 pm
Oxford are playing Fleetwood. Sheffield have on paper their easiest game of the season at home to doomed bottom club Coventry. Top 2 are set now and we aren't catching them IMO. Nice as it would be who cares?! :oyea:
We're one of those top two? I thought Shefield played Oxford tomorrow, not Fleetwood, my error. Wouldn't it be something if Coventry tore the hymn sheet up and beat Sheffield ....yeah.... :D
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:33 am

Lad on the train back reckoned we've won 11 away this season, so that's some record!

Oh we're close.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:06 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:17 am
LeverEnd wrote:
Oxford are playing Fleetwood. Sheffield have on paper their easiest game of the season at home to doomed bottom club Coventry. Top 2 are set now and we aren't catching them IMO. Nice as it would be who cares?! :oyea:
We're one of those top two?
Er...for this game he is a Scunny supporter (I think), Tango.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:21 am

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:06 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:17 am
LeverEnd wrote:
We're one of those top two?
Er...for this game he is a Scunny supporter (I think), Tango.
'Them' as in Sheffield utd i meant Tango, poorly worded.

And Monty... :grin:

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:54 am

You can almost smell it...........
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:13 am

boltonboris wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:54 am
You can almost smell it...........
So can the bookies. Bet365 have us at 1/150 for promotion. Best odds you'll get is 1/16 at Billy Hill.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:44 pm

Sounds like Fleetwood will be facing a wounded bear tonight at Oxford. They lost the Sherpa Van Trophy final at Wembley on Sunday and you get the feeling their gaffer will have them bang up for getting right back on the bike. If they win against Fleetwood - who have won one in the last five - they go eighth.

"I don't intend ever to look back at the (Wembley) game, and I mean ever. Bear in mind being injured and having to retire cost me 10 years of my career, Sunday was my worst moment in football.
"It's gone now, it's one we put in the history books and we move forward. It's about 18 points now and nothing else. The next two games are huge. If you're within four or five points going into the last three or four games, the pressure mounts on the teams above you."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39495146

Billbob
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Billbob » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:15 pm

Well what a season, being through the court case. The injuries have been dire, thinking who is leaving the loans. It's not been simple but Adam le fondre coming in with morais master stroke but i think it helps having a ex football agent as a chairman. Credit is got be given for Ken being open as much he can at times especially when the legal stuff is going on with Dean Holdsworth. It's not been pretty this last few years with the manager's we have experienced, even Darren prately as been a revelation in my eyes. I think the partnership of our central defence as been fantastic but getting goals across the team is showing great dividends now as relying on one player can be quite costly if injuries occurs. I have a permanent Cheshire cat smile but this never say die attitude call it Phoenix from the flames.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:26 pm

Billbob wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:15 pm
Well what a season, being through the court case. The injuries have been dire, thinking who is leaving the loans. It's not been simple but Adam le fondre coming in with morais master stroke but i think it helps having a ex football agent as a chairman. Credit is got be given for Ken being open as much he can at times especially when the legal stuff is going on with Dean Holdsworth. It's not been pretty this last few years with the manager's we have experienced, even Darren prately as been a revelation in my eyes. I think the partnership of our central defence as been fantastic but getting goals across the team is showing great dividends now as relying on one player can be quite costly if injuries occurs. I have a permanent Cheshire cat smile but this never say die attitude call it Phoenix from the flames.
Well said and welcome!
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Billbob
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Billbob » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:28 pm

Thanks for the welcome from a smiley wanderer

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:07 pm

Billbob wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:28 pm
Thanks for the welcome from a smiley wanderer
Not on your own matey! A few months ago i must admit i thought we were screwed. Amazing turnaround.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:41 pm

Coventry know they are down, they will be under no pressure, but with a sense of pride restored following the Wembley trophy -
could well cause an upset at Bramall Lane....?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:43 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:41 pm
Coventry know they are down, they will be under no pressure, but with a sense of pride restored following the Wembley trophy -
could well cause an upset at Bramall Lane....?
Frankly I don't care. I'd happily have Sheff Utd win every game, so long as Fleetwood lose a couple and Bradford too.

I think winning the league would be nice. But getting up is just so huge that 2nd wouldn't be even a minor disappointment. It would be full on elation either way.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:44 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:41 pm
Coventry know they are down, they will be under no pressure, but with a sense of pride restored following the Wembley trophy - could well cause an upset at Bramall Lane....?
Yeah, it wouldn't be the world's most amazing thing if that happened. Life's weird like that.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:48 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:44 pm
Sounds like Fleetwood will be facing a wounded bear tonight at Oxford. They lost the Sherpa Van Trophy final at Wembley on Sunday and you get the feeling their gaffer will have them bang up for getting right back on the bike. If they win against Fleetwood - who have won one in the last five - they go eighth.

"I don't intend ever to look back at the (Wembley) game, and I mean ever. Bear in mind being injured and having to retire cost me 10 years of my career, Sunday was my worst moment in football.
"It's gone now, it's one we put in the history books and we move forward. It's about 18 points now and nothing else. The next two games are huge. If you're within four or five points going into the last three or four games, the pressure mounts on the teams above you."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39495146
Or a tired demoralised one. Think Fleetwood might win tonight. Their next game at Oldham though, looks tough for a side with a few coming back from injury, and arguably not the most physical side going.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:58 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:48 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:44 pm
Or a tired demoralised one. Think Fleetwood might win tonight. Their next game at Oldham though, looks tough for a side with a few coming back from injury, and arguably not the most physical side going.
Yeah, maybe. Sometimes hard to say how teams will react. If they were midtable and out of the race they wouldn't want to play this game at all, but Appleton's not a bad manager and he'll know this gives them the chance to get it out of their systems and chase another Wembley date. I bet Fleetwood are more nervous about it than Oxford.

What is in Fleetwood's favour is that they're currently happier away than at home. Before we rocked up to their place they'd won 9 and drawn 3 of their last 12 home games; since we obliterated them they've drawn 0-0 with Dons and lost 0-1 to drop-dodgers Swindon. Whereas on the road, they've only conceded one goal in their eight trips since Christmas, going WWWDWWWD - all the odder considering before the turkey dinner they were poor travellers, at one point losing 6 times in 8 trips. Post-crackers they've almost become a caricature of what we were like in the autumn - 1-0, 1-0, 2-0, 1-1, 1-0, 2-0, 1-0, 0-0.

That said, you notice that in the one game they did concede, they didn't have enough firepower to win – and that they also couldn't score past Bury. Somebody on here mentioned the yips, and Fleetwood seem to have it at the moment. If Oxford score early, you can only imagine the thoughts in the visitors' heads.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-04-05 at 14.54.38.png
Screen Shot 2017-04-05 at 14.54.38.png (113.03 KiB) Viewed 1832 times