What will we need when we're in the Championship next season?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

ally.morrison
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: What will we need if we're in the Championship next season?

Post by ally.morrison » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:09 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:00 pm
ally.morrison wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:47 pm
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:24 pm
I think any creative players we get for next season might well be loans from bloated Premiership squads. Lets hope we find the next Tammy Abraham...
Were is the ambition at least picking up hungry young players for free they can be punted on loans cant if they do well.Scottish championship clubs have great record in selling on talent to the championship who go on and thrive they win the league or get promoted Teams like Bolton should follow Sheff Utd example and trust the market up here again.
While I'm all for your export drive, Ally, I don't get this bit. According to my instruments, since arriving at Bramall Lane last June Chris Wilder has signed players from Birmingham, Bury, Oldham, Coventry, Brentford, Oxford, Bury again, Cardiff, Sheffield Wednesday, Bury again again, MK Dons, Burnley and Bradford; he has also loaned players in from Middlesbrough, Wolves, Burnley, Man United and Chesterfield. None of these clubs are particularly Caledonian, and the only son of the Saltire among those players is John Fleck, Tom Thorpe's assailant (see below) who hasn't played north of the border since before the London Olympics.

In fact, of the 77 players (including loanees) the Blades have signed over the last five years, only three have been Scots hired from north of the border: Stefan Scougall, Marc McNulty and Jason Holt. Only Scougall has been anything like a regular this season; McNulty has been loaned out twice and Holt was only ever loaned in for spring/summer 2015.

Dont trust wicki Coutts and Flynn are most definitely Scottish Coutts played Highland league and Flynn was one of the lesser Falkirk players pretty sure I watched Lafferty with Ayr United to

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:26 pm

I'm not doubting they're Scottish. I'm saying they weren't signed from Scotland.

Coutts had played 200+ games in England when they signed him; by Flynn I assume you mean Ryan Flynn, who was signed in 2011 and released in 2016; Danny Lafferty did indeed play a handful of games for Ayr in 2010 before a seven-year odyssey around Northern Ireland and northern England (Derry, Burnley, Rotherham, Oldham, Sheffield).

So when you say "trust the market up here" I can only think you actually mean players born in Scotland who've already left long ago.

As I say, I've nothing against signing from Scottish clubs, but Sheffield United do it very rarely.

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:32 pm

Ally - out of interest, who do you follow?
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

ally.morrison
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by ally.morrison » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:57 pm

Nicko58 wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:32 pm
RFC

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:09 pm

Ally, I am interested at what level you feel Scottish football is at, when compared with English football. I generally equate the likes of Celtic with mid table/lower table English Premiership standard, the likes of Rangers and Aberdeen (as things are at the moment) with Championship level, and the lower Scottish Prem / upper Scottish Championship as more L1 level. Certainly Rangers / Celtic apart, the size of the crowds / stadia and presumably the kind of wages that are paid would seem comparable? Am I wrong?

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:16 pm

ally.morrison wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:57 pm
Nicko58 wrote:
RFC

Right. Again, just out of curiosity, what brings you to our forum?

ally.morrison
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by ally.morrison » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:21 pm

Nicko58 wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:16 pm
ally.morrison wrote:
Nicko58 wrote:
RFC

Football

ally.morrison
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by ally.morrison » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:28 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:09 pm
Ally, I am interested at what level you feel Scottish football is at, when compared with English football. I generally equate the likes of Celtic with mid table/lower table English Premiership standard, the likes of Rangers and Aberdeen (as things are at the moment) with Championship level, and the lower Scottish Prem / upper Scottish Championship as more L1 level. Certainly Rangers / Celtic apart, the size of the crowds / stadia and presumably the kind of wages that are paid would seem comparable? Am I wrong?
Scotland is the same as its always been with football at club level players still move down south some far to soon for there own good.Exactly like it has always been.

International level we tailed off with the rise of new teams from Soviet and Czechoslovakia Yugoslavia its got harder for us to quality that along with English teams like Leeds Villa Liverpool Everton Man United Nottingham Forrest stopping shopping here and subsequently declining when we stopped reaching finals incidentally to

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:32 pm

ally.morrison wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:21 pm
Nicko58 wrote:
ally.morrison wrote:
Nicko58 wrote:
RFC

Football

Thanks for that. Why us, specifically?

(I'm genuinely interested, not having a go)

ally.morrison
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by ally.morrison » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:37 pm

Nicko58 wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:32 pm
ally.morrison wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:21 pm
Nicko58 wrote:
ally.morrison wrote:
Nicko58 wrote:
RFC

Football

Thanks for that. Why us, specifically?

(I'm genuinely interested, not having a go)
I like Northeners most Scots do like Sheffield United to glad both of you will no doubt go up would be happy both your teams gave our young Scottish guys a chance would give us more options in pool of players

ally.morrison
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by ally.morrison » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:52 pm

Chris Cadden has West Ham Sunderland Brighton Rangers and prob Nottingham Forrest watching

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:55 pm

So he's almost certainly out of our spending bracket then! :-)

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:01 pm

Don't ask me to name names but I thought BWFC signed some players from small-ish Scottish teams fairly recently, within 5 years say. Maybe kids. I know some of the players released have ended up in Scotland... Michael O'Halloran springs to mind, who appears to be playing for Rangers. Any good, Ally?

I saw Michael O'Halloran score for Bolton, how many people can say that? (pre-season friendly against York).
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:51 pm

Twardzik (actualy Czech but signed from Celtic) - free agent now. McKee (signed from Burnley), Gregg Wylde (Rangers), spring to mind. Bloody useless, the three of 'em. (Not because they were Scottish, just because they were useless)

ally.morrison
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by ally.morrison » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:20 am

Armchair Wanderer wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:01 pm
Don't ask me to name names but I thought BWFC signed some players from small-ish Scottish teams fairly recently, within 5 years say. Maybe kids. I know some of the players released have ended up in Scotland... Michael O'Halloran springs to mind, who appears to be playing for Rangers. Any good, Ally?

I saw Michael O'Halloran score for Bolton, how many people can say that? (pre-season friendly against York).
O Halloran has bags of pace just not a winger like most lightning quik players they struggle to cross a ball.Could prob do a turn through the middle though like a cheap version of Lee Grithias playing of the shoulders of defenders.Pretty much in the Gregg Wylde category

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:58 am

ally.morrison wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:20 am
Armchair Wanderer wrote:

O Halloran has bags of pace just not a winger like most lightning quik players they struggle to cross a ball.Could prob do a turn through the middle though like a cheap version of Lee Grithias playing of the shoulders of defenders.Pretty much in the Gregg Wylde category
So...f*cking shite, then?

ally.morrison
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by ally.morrison » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:27 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:58 am
ally.morrison wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:20 am
Armchair Wanderer wrote:

So...f*cking shite, then?
St Johnstone fans rated him highly would say he is a similar payer to Jamie Murphy prob could do a turn for a championship club still young enough him and a out and out nine could prob form a good partnership

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:19 pm

Word to the wise, Ally - if you're trying to promote Scottish players (and, again, I applaud your desire) then I wouldn't mention Gregg Wylde, whose name has gone down in legend as one of our worst signings. Harsh, perhaps, but then you didn't see the shitness of the team he couldn't get into.

ally.morrison
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by ally.morrison » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:46 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:19 pm
Word to the wise, Ally - if you're trying to promote Scottish players (and, again, I applaud your desire) then I wouldn't mention Gregg Wylde, whose name has gone down in legend as one of our worst signings. Harsh, perhaps, but then you didn't see the shitness of the team he couldn't get into.
Wylde just won the league with Plymouth not bad not saying he was or is a star there is a reason we got shot of him first with the McCabe Ness Flecks of this world

ally.morrison
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by ally.morrison » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:49 pm

Wylde is on loan at Northampton my bad