What will we need when we're in the Championship next season?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: What will we need if we're in the Championship next season?

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:58 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:51 pm
Twardzik (actualy Czech but signed from Celtic) - free agent now. McKee (signed from Burnley), Gregg Wylde (Rangers), spring to mind. Bloody useless, the three of 'em. (Not because they were Scottish, just because they were useless)
Possibly said this before but Twardzik was ok for the rezzies. He was the kind of player who would get a full 90 in 3 different positions when there were 9 changes in a game. Not sure I saw him play in the big leagues.

Who was the last good Scottish player? Colin Hendry? Super John?

Generally speaking, I'd hope that we can have a few more strings to our bow next season. The manager knows what this lot can do now, and we'd probably need to be better next season so let's strengthen and possibly get a bit more creativity, if we can. There ya go! :pissed:
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

ally.morrison
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by ally.morrison » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:13 pm

Armchair Wanderer wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:58 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Twardzik (actualy Czech but signed from Celtic) - free agent now. McKee (signed from Burnley), Gregg Wylde (Rangers), spring to mind. Bloody useless, the three of 'em. (Not because they were Scottish, just because they were useless)
Possibly said this before but Twardzik was ok for the rezzies. He was the kind of player who would get a full 90 in 3 different positions when there were 9 changes in a game. Not sure I saw him play in the big leagues.

Generally speaking, I'd hope that we can have a few more strings to our bow next season. The manager knows what this lot can do now, and we'd probably need to be better next season so let's strengthen and possibly get a bit more creativity, if we can. There ya go! :pissed:
Stuart Holden

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:22 pm

ally.morrison wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:13 pm
Armchair Wanderer wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:

Stuart Holden
Aye. He has the advantage of course, of never actually playing in the pub league!

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:26 pm

Fcukin hell, I'll bet a sizeable portion of the UK is as Scottish as Holden is!

ally.morrison
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by ally.morrison » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:18 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:26 pm
Born in Aberdeen makes him Scottish pretty sure his brother was playing up here to

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:25 pm

ally.morrison wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:18 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Born in Aberdeen makes him Scottish pretty sure his brother was playing up here to
What I mean is, you're grasping at anyone with a bit of a Scottish link, whether they've played in Scotland or not. Are we looking at players that have come through the ranks in Scotland, untapped players currently or recently playing in Scotland or just anyone with a bit of ancestry?

PC1978
Promising
Promising

Post by PC1978 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:40 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:25 pm
ally.morrison wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
What I mean is, you're grasping at anyone with a bit of a Scottish link, whether they've played in Scotland or not. Are we looking at players that have come through the ranks in Scotland, untapped players currently or recently playing in Scotland or just anyone with a bit of ancestry?
I was thinking worn a kilt at a wedding would count!

I admire your national pride Ally but I don't think a lot of these players would have a massive impact south of the border. Some will, don't get me wrong but for every McCormack (the Cardiff, Leeds and Fulham version and not the Villa one!) there are a lot of Dobbie's.

ally.morrison
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by ally.morrison » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:29 pm

PC1978 wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:40 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
ally.morrison wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

I admire your national pride Ally but I don't think a lot of these players would have a massive impact south of the border. Some will, don't get me wrong but for every McCormack (the Cardiff, Leeds and Fulham version and not the Villa one!) there are a lot of Dobbie's.
Championship player of the year last season was a did in Scotland Joey Barton.And for every McCormack there is a Naismith Dorrans Snodgrass MacArthur Maloney Robertson Bryson Russell Forsythe McDonald Arfield Fletcher Berra Wallace Frazer Conway ect ect ect

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:50 pm

PC1978 wrote:

Should do it :) I wore my family tartan at mine...but I am really (approximately) half Scottish :D

ally.morrison
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by ally.morrison » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:01 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:50 pm
PC1978 wrote:

Should do it :) I wore my family tartan at mine...but I am really (approximately) half Scottish :D
Doubt half they folk in here has even watched a Scottish championship game or if they did it was when we were in it
Scouts from England are at those games all the time
Will wager at least 75% of guys I mentioned will play there next year
Warburton most certainly will be watching especially young Sibbald
200 odd senior games and he is still only 21
Could easily go down and adapt to that league very quickly
I hope he joins Rangers though if we are still in for him
L

ally.morrison
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by ally.morrison » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:09 pm

PC1978 wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
ally.morrison wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

Andy Robertson was playing for Queens Park a few seasons ago with my sisters neighbor Lawrence Shanklund anything can happen in football if a bigger teams willing to take a gamble on somebody

ally.morrison
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by ally.morrison » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:49 pm

malcd1 wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:01 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:49 pm
malcd1 wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:13 pm
The Juke signed for Birmingham for £1m. I don't think we will be paying anywhere near that for all the signings combined.
I agree. I was talking about loans.

Juke is almost certainly above our pay bracket but as I say that depends on who's in charge. If the new owners get a new manager and encourage him to sign new players, our old mate might find himself in the background, nursing a contract which runs until 2020 but keen to actually play some football. Just a thought, really, I imagine Parky will have plenty of his own big-man targets in mind.

I'm actually more intrigued as to whether a Blackburn relegation might give us an in with Liam Feeney... did well for us in a shit team, and is just the type of hard-working wide-man Parky might like...
The Juke would be a great loan signing but he is playing on a fairly regular basis at the moment. Like you said DSB, it might need a change of ownership or management to change that.
You realize he failed at Motherwell right?

ally.morrison
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by ally.morrison » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:59 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:31 pm
Sincerely hoping that our two free-scoring defenders remember to scoot back to their bases sharpish after any goal celebrations or sallies into opposition boxes for free kicks, corners or anything else that comes under the heading "set pieces" . I'm sure they will, but just in case.... :grin:
Callum Paterson has 10 from right back this year he can dribble and cross it to and is great in the air can also play up front big Liam Lindsay to at Patrick has scored eight this season he has interest from Leeds both of these guys could make a big impact in the championship IMHO

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:33 pm

ally.morrison wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:49 pm
malcd1 wrote:
malcd1 wrote:
The Juke signed for Birmingham for £1m. I don't think we will be paying anywhere near that for all the signings combined.

Juke is almost certainly above our pay bracket but as I say that depends on who's in charge. If the new owners get a new manager and encourage him to sign new players, our old mate might find himself in the background, nursing a contract which runs until 2020 but keen to actually play some football. Just a thought, really, I imagine Parky will have plenty of his own big-man targets in mind.

I'm actually more intrigued as to whether a Blackburn relegation might give us an in with Liam Feeney... did well for us in a shit team, and is just the type of hard-working wide-man Parky might like...
The Juke would be a great loan signing but he is playing on a fairly regular basis at the moment. Like you said DSB, it might need a change of ownership or management to change that.
You realize he's played for us before right?

ally.morrison
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by ally.morrison » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:51 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:33 pm
ally.morrison wrote:
malcd1 wrote:
malcd1 wrote:

It does not matter he bombed up here like a massive list of others

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:52 pm

Do you honestly think we're all agents with a line to Phil Parkinson?

ally.morrison
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by ally.morrison » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:57 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:52 pm
Do you honestly think we're all agents with a line to Phil Parkinson?
Doubt it

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:08 pm

Armchair Wanderer wrote:

Who was the last good Scottish player?
Was always a bit miffed that we didn't keep hold of Paul Ritchie, to be honest.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:09 pm

ally.morrison wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:51 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:33 pm
ally.morrison wrote:
malcd1 wrote:

It does not matter he bombed up here like a massive list of others
I'm lost on the point you're making? He wouldn't fit some playing styles we might adopt. At the moment he'd probably fit in for us. He's not a top drawer forward. I'm sure there's plenty of players not good enough South of the border are similarly not good enough North of it.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:00 pm

ally.morrison wrote:
Scored 1 in 3 which is a decent rate anywhere. I doubt that Motherwell had seen his likes since Willie Pettigrew.
May the bridges I burn light your way