What will we need when we're in the Championship next season?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Re: What will we need if we're in the Championship next season?

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:30 pm

Sounding rather like a UKIP candidate there Pru :wink:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:18 pm

bedwetter2 wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:14 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:21 am
In 16 months at the club Lennon signed 14 foreigners: Eidur Gudjohnsen, Filip Twardzik, Rochinha, Saidy Janko, Simeon Slavchev, Matija Boben, Derik Osede, Jon Ceberio, Francesco Pisano, Jose Manuel Casado, Paul Rachubka, Prince-Desire Gouano, Wellington Silva and Luke Brattan. You can't say he didn't cast the net wide. Unfortunately most of what he dragged in was shit. Maybe a decent scouting system would have revealed this.

As for Parkinson, he seems to go mainly (but not exclusively) for players he already knows. That's not a bad thing in the circumstances thus far, and if we went up he would presumably enjoy the opportunity to choose which players might be able to move up a level. But he may need to look around a little more.
Really? I didn't realise we actually signed someone with a surname of 'dried birdshit'. That takes some doing. I take it he was insewered against failure in the UK? Or was he just constipated?
It's a bit like apostrophes, poor spelling... Still, generally a reasonable crossword clue involving deposits.

ally.morrison
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by ally.morrison » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:20 pm

Michael Devlin at Hamilton young center back there captain has a of of English teams watching him he is quick strong reads the game and good on the ball would imagine he would be a asset in the championship would happily take him for Rangers should be in the international set up

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:57 pm

Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:47 pm
Jeux sans frontiéres wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:57 pm
Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:20 pm
Be funny as owt if Redknapp takes them down. But probably not worth sacrificing the relegation of either Wigan or Blackburn - and not just for parochial amusement, but potential personnel pinching.
Out of interest, who would you look to bring in from these clubs? Presumably Grigg would feature prominently on a lot of wish lists. A return for Andy Kellett perhaps? Powell's wages are presumably out of our league.
It's a good question, but one I can't answer with any degree of certainty: I've barely watched a tap of Division Two. But I can have a dig...

Kellett's an interesting shout. We'll need a left-back when Moxey goes – even if we keep Taylor, as I hope we will. I liked what I saw of Kellett (which, to be fair, wasn't much) and his flexibility as full-back or wing-back could be useful, as would the fact he wouldn't take much wage, although he's contracted to 2018. Still only 23, he's barely played since the move - four league starts last season, four this season; he's only even been in the squad once in the last 10 league games. He can't get in the team for captain Stephen Warnock, also formerly of this parish, who's now 35. Warnock is out of contract this summer, as are Jussi Jaaskelainen and David Perkins (midfielder, turns 35 this summer); we don't need any of those, unless there's some way we manage to move on both Amos and either Alnwick or Howard and get Jussi back as cover for the other.

A more interesting freebie might be Ryan Tunnicliffe, who has played in a variety of midfield positions. Now 24, the Heywood-born six-footer came through the Man U ranks but was bought by Fulham manager Rene Muelensteen in January 2014; Muelensteen soon got the chop and since then the boy's been back up north more often than Eddie Stobart, loaned to Wigan twice and Blackburn too. His contract runs out this summer and it wouldn't be at all surprising if we considered him, assuming he's outgrown some youthful off-field idiocy (a drink-drive charge and an ugly Twitter incident with Patrick Bamford).

Grigg's under contract till 2018, Powell till 2019. They might go, but I doubt it'd be to us. What might be more interesting is that over the last season Wigan have loaned players from Liverpool, Everton, Stoke, West Ham and Hull; with a relatively small budget we might do well to judiciously borrow players from the top clubs.

At some point I'll rifle through Rovers' cupboard, too.
Wigan confirmed as relegated yesterday. Blackburn aren't (yet) relegated but their out-of-contract players (per Transfermarkt.co.uk) include:

Wes Brown (CB, 37) Nah
Gordon Greer (CB, 36) A Parky target last summer, he went there instead and, to be fair, played 21 league games. Still, I'm thinking "No".
Adam Henley (RB, 22) Bit-parter born in Tennessee but a Wales international. Played left-back in the first two games of the season, which Rovers lost 4-1 and 3-0.
Jason Lowe (DM, 25) More like it. Captain who's been in the Rovers ranks since age 12 and played a dozen times for England U21. The six-foot Wiganer is predominantly a defensive midfielder but has also played centrally and at right-back, where he played the first 20 games or so last season. Nicely versatile, then, but may not be willing to switch to Rovers' rivals.
Danny Guthrie (CM, 30) - Aye, that one; he's been there two years and played 42 games. Can't say he'd top my list, but who knows?
Hope Akpan (CM, 25) Scouse-born six-foot Nigeria international who came through Everton's youth system; released in 2011, went to Crawley then signed by Reading (when they were in the Premier League and ALF scored 14). Switched to Rovers two years ago and has played 65 times since.

As I say, I'd also be interested in Liam Feeney (contracted until 2018) as a hard-worker with end product, but it depends on the contract (he turned 31 on Thursday and you imagine Captain Clap didn't exactly slash his wages).

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:12 pm

Sammi Ameobi

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:34 pm

Juke

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:48 pm

Veloso

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:02 pm

Money. And lots of it.

Is there any truth in the rumor that KA has called a press conference for tomorrow morning?
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:10 pm

If it isn't Blackburn going down it's likely to be Forest. Their out-of-contract players (per Transfermarkt.co.uk) include:

Dimitar Evtimov (GK, 23) A Bulgarian goalkeeper currently on loan in the Portuguese second division. Next!
Eric Lichaj (RB, 28) Rhymes with knee-high. The Illinois-born full-back, brought here by Aston Villa, can also play on the left.
Michael Mancienne (CB, 29) Chelsea graduate with 30 England U21 caps. I imagine he expected he'd have a better career than this.
Dani Pinillos (LB, 24) Spanish six-foot left-back. Not Marcos Alonso. Signed from Cordoba two summers ago but lost a year to knee-knack.
David Vaughan (DM, 34) Potato-faced Wales midfielder.
Chris Cohen (CM, 30) Captain who's been at Forest for a decade. Central midfielder, a left-footer who's played in various positions across midfield and to a lesser extent defence.
Matty Fryatt (CF, 31) Joined Forest on a freebie from Hull three years ago. Been out with Achilles-knack for the last two. Not sure he's what we want…

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:19 pm

Vindicated :D

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue May 02, 2017 12:15 pm

I would imagine Forest or Birmingham getting relegated would interest us in terms of ex player signings. Jutkiewicz would be interesting as would Clough. Blackburn is less interesting in terms of who would interest us.

The Juke and Le Fondre up front would go down great with the fans. Whether Juke can do as good a job as Madine would be under question but he would have the same sort of welcome back as Le Fondre did.

I would suspect Parkinson has a few irons in the fire that would interest him especially if the scouting improvements are to be believed.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 02, 2017 12:26 pm

Mar wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 12:15 pm
I would imagine Forest or Birmingham getting relegated would interest us in terms of ex player signings. Jutkiewicz would be interesting as would Clough. Blackburn is less interesting in terms of who would interest us.

The Juke and Le Fondre up front would go down great with the fans. Whether Juke can do as good a job as Madine would be under question but he would have the same sort of welcome back as Le Fondre did.

I would suspect Parkinson has a few irons in the fire that would interest him especially if the scouting improvements are to be believed.
Don't think there is any chance with Clough. Juke is a better fit potentially, but still, think we're going to be looking more at "unknowns" than knowns.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue May 02, 2017 12:53 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 12:26 pm
Mar wrote:

Don't think there is any chance with Clough. Juke is a better fit potentially, but still, think we're going to be looking more at "unknowns" than knowns.
I thought that Juke was on loan from Burnley. Turns out that he was initially but Zola signed him for £1m in January on a three year deal. Would have loved to have seen him up top with ALF though. Perhaps signing Clayton Donaldson from Brum might be more realistic, whose contract is up in July.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 02, 2017 1:00 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 12:53 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mar wrote:

I thought that Juke was on loan from Burnley. Turns out that he was initially but Zola signed him for £1m in January on a three year deal. Would have loved to have seen him up top with ALF though. Perhaps signing Clayton Donaldson from Brum might be more realistic, whose contract is up in July.
Yep. He's 33 though, which might put us off.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue May 02, 2017 1:29 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 1:00 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 12:53 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mar wrote:

Yep. He's 33 though, which might put us off.
Hadn't realised that. Two year deal maybe?
May the bridges I burn light your way

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Tue May 02, 2017 4:09 pm

Sam Gallagher, on loan from Southampton at Blackburn, seems an interesting option to me. He is a 22 year old 6ft4 CF who has scored 11 in 42 for them this season. He is out of contract in 2018. Given we have proven we can't operate without a target man, and it seems unlikely we will fundamentally change our style of play, this guy seems a good shout to challenge Madine for his spot in the team, and maybe replace him.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 02, 2017 4:15 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 4:09 pm
Sam Gallagher, on loan from Southampton at Blackburn, seems an interesting option to me. He is a 22 year old 6ft4 CF who has scored 11 in 42 for them this season. He is out of contract in 2018. Given we have proven we can't operate without a target man, and it seems unlikely we will fundamentally change our style of play, this guy seems a good shout to challenge Madine for his spot in the team, and maybe replace him.
Yeah, noticed him when I was checking Rovers' Bosmen. There definitely might be something in checking the top-flight clubs' youngsters who are floating towards the end of their contracts. Likesay Wigan borrowed off several Premier clubs, and so did Rovers, so it's possible we could take their place as the second-tier club to lend to. But whereas in the past we might have borrowed Next Big Things like Wilshere and Sturridge, now we can look at ones we might wish to keep when they run out of road at the big club. Given how we borrowed ATaylor, Thorpe, Henry and ALF for the remainder of their parent-club contracts, it's obviously an avenue we're aware of.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue May 02, 2017 4:18 pm

I don't know if it was due to his shoulder, but I noticed that Madine really didn't anticipate very much yesterday apart from trying to challenge balls in the air. We really need someone up there with ALF that will anticipate rather than react. There were a few times Madine just didn't react to what seemed to me very obvious runs he could have made that would have troubled their defence.

ally.morrison
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by ally.morrison » Tue May 02, 2017 4:20 pm

Plenty of shit players that are English to though but its kind of ironic that when Scottish game slumps so does the English teams that used to buy our players and win in Europe your Forrest's Leeds Villa to a degree Everton and Liverpool

Plenty of talent up here in our league our manager is a dumping though and does not give them there chance forgetting he started out his footballing journey on the books of Dundee

Our clubs are skint rear there own and play them faster a advantage of having less of the Sky sports money English teams fight for guys at Livingston and Falkirk to put onto there youth set ups boys like young Knox

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 02, 2017 4:26 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 4:18 pm
I don't know if it was due to his shoulder, but I noticed that Madine really didn't anticipate very much yesterday apart from trying to challenge balls in the air. We really need someone up there with ALF that will anticipate rather than react. There were a few times Madine just didn't react to what seemed to me very obvious runs he could have made that would have troubled their defence.
At the game, I thought he was superb. Virtually everything went through him either aerially or on the ground.

He's absolutely never a fox in the box type, but his hold up play Sunday was probably the best its been. As was his use of the ball.

Actually think he and Le Fondre go very well together. Big question mark about the league up like, but I'll let Parky call that one.