What will we need when we're in the Championship next season?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Re: What will we need if we're in the Championship next season?

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue May 02, 2017 4:30 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 4:26 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 4:18 pm
I don't know if it was due to his shoulder, but I noticed that Madine really didn't anticipate very much yesterday apart from trying to challenge balls in the air. We really need someone up there with ALF that will anticipate rather than react. There were a few times Madine just didn't react to what seemed to me very obvious runs he could have made that would have troubled their defence.
At the game, I thought he was superb. Virtually everything went through him either aerially or on the ground.

He's absolutely never a fox in the box type, but his hold up play Sunday was probably the best its been. As was his use of the ball.

Actually think he and Le Fondre go very well together. Big question mark about the league up like, but I'll let Parky call that one.
I wasn't criticising him as such, just it was the thing I noticed. A few times ALF or someone else won a ball or had the opportunity to release a ball but Madine just didn't seem to react at all. Those sort of runs will be important against better defences. My other take home yesterday was that that Boswick fella seemed to have a huge crush on Wheater. Spent the entire match hugging him the dirty bastard :lol:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 02, 2017 4:46 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 4:30 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
I don't know if it was due to his shoulder, but I noticed that Madine really didn't anticipate very much yesterday apart from trying to challenge balls in the air. We really need someone up there with ALF that will anticipate rather than react. There were a few times Madine just didn't react to what seemed to me very obvious runs he could have made that would have troubled their defence.
At the game, I thought he was superb. Virtually everything went through him either aerially or on the ground.

He's absolutely never a fox in the box type, but his hold up play Sunday was probably the best its been. As was his use of the ball.

Actually think he and Le Fondre go very well together. Big question mark about the league up like, but I'll let Parky call that one.
I wasn't criticising him as such, just it was the thing I noticed. A few times ALF or someone else won a ball or had the opportunity to release a ball but Madine just didn't seem to react at all. Those sort of runs will be important against better defences. My other take home yesterday was that that Boswick fella seemed to have a huge crush on Wheater. Spent the entire match hugging him the dirty bastard :lol:
Oh that sort of thing definitely isn't his game. But then it wasn't Kevin Davies' and he did well enough in the premiership.

I think there are big question marks over what we do up front next year. Firstly depends on the system. If we play one up front then don't bother signing ALF for example. But to play 2 up mainly, probably relies on keeping a back 3.

ally.morrison
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by ally.morrison » Tue May 02, 2017 4:49 pm

Hearts will be in for Amiobi

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed May 03, 2017 4:38 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 4:46 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 4:30 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

Oh that sort of thing definitely isn't his game. But then it wasn't Kevin Davies' and he did well enough in the premiership.

I think there are big question marks over what we do up front next year. Firstly depends on the system. If we play one up front then don't bother signing ALF for example. But to play 2 up mainly, probably relies on keeping a back 3.
Kevin Davie's - Nadine, same breath, sentence or whatever? Give your head a long shake.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed May 03, 2017 9:48 am

Hoboh wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 4:38 am

Kevin Davie's - Nadine, same breath, sentence or whatever? Give your head a long shake.
LOL. You don't understand a relative comparison (or apostrophes it seems). None of our players now are as good as the ones who played in that side. Of course. But then they have been playing for us in league one.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed May 03, 2017 11:20 am

Aye Madine can do a Davies-esque job for sure. We need to back him up with goals from elsewhere. Le Fondre could be one, will Vela step up a league in that role?

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed May 03, 2017 11:47 am

Given the security of a contract I reckon facing better defenders in the main, Nadine will shrink into his shell and have a net worth of zero to the attack.
He's found his level.

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Wed May 03, 2017 12:38 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
At the risk of flogging a dead horse... Which back 3? Oh :wink: The manager's new clothes! Is it code for having a right winger who can track back? Or a right back who doesn't get forward very much and can also play as a centre back? Intriguing :)

I'm not disputing that PP and Iles call it a back three, and the personnel may be able to play in a back 3, but that's not what I've seen actually happen on the pitch. You don't have Wheater in the middle and Dervite and Beevers equally spaced either side. You have Wheater and Beevers in the middle with Dervite on one side and Taylor on the other. Saying it's a back three suggests that Taylor isn't a part of the defence, or if wingbacks are being counted as defenders that Morais is a defender... neither has been the case from what I've seen. They have defender warmups with four players, yet it's a back 3. Makes no sense whatsoever! Or, does it mean there's a midfielder in front of the centre backs? That would make more sense.

I'm not complaining if it works, though.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed May 03, 2017 12:44 pm

Armchair Wanderer wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 12:38 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
At the risk of flogging a dead horse... Which back 3? Oh :wink: The manager's new clothes! Is it code for having a right winger who can track back? Or a right back who doesn't get forward very much and can also play as a centre back? Intriguing :)

I'm not disputing that PP and Iles call it a back three, and the personnel may be able to play in a back 3, but that's not what I've seen actually happen on the pitch. You don't have Wheater in the middle and Dervite and Beevers equally spaced either side. You have Wheater and Beevers in the middle with Dervite on one side and Taylor on the other. Saying it's a back three suggests that Taylor isn't a part of the defence, or if wingbacks are being counted as defenders that Morais is a defender... neither has been the case from what I've seen. They have defender warmups with four players, yet it's a back 3. Makes no sense whatsoever! Or, does it mean there's a midfielder in front of the centre backs? That would make more sense.

I'm not complaining if it works, though.
Well I think Morais clearly pushes on more. But you can't call it a traditional back four. Beevers plays left, Wheater centre and Dervite right. Of course the more naturally defensive Taylor sometimes drops in and makes it into a back four.

However, it is a back 3. Look at the time Pboro nearly scored, when the ball hit Wheater on the line. Morais was in the box defending, albeit badly on the back post as a right wing back.

It is the advantage of a back three that it can become a back four if one wing back pushes on. But essentially there are three centre backs in there.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed May 03, 2017 12:51 pm

From what I've seen, we have 3 in midfield, 3 at the back and generally 2 upfront. That leaves 2 that potentially overlap from front to back.

Whether this looks like a back 5, back 4, back 3, midfield 5, midfield 4, midfield 3, 2 up top, 3 up top or 4 up top depends largely on who the 2 are.

If it's Taylor on the left, then we look like a 4 at the back when we need it, 4 in midfield when we need it and he gets forward when we're on the front foot. If it's Moxey at the back, then it looks like more of a flat back 4...

Similarly, Morais probably spends less time back - so it looks more like a 4 in midfield...

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Wed May 03, 2017 12:59 pm

Maybe it's like a Tom and Jerry cartoon, every time I looked away they were a back 3/5, then I turn back and.. oh, it's 4!

If having a back four that everyone calls a back three means that 2 strikers can play at the same time it's a good thing. Versatile players, good coaching too probably.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed May 03, 2017 1:06 pm

Armchair Wanderer wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 12:59 pm
Maybe it's like a Tom and Jerry cartoon, every time I looked away they were a back 3/5, then I turn back and.. oh, it's 4!

If having a back four that everyone calls a back three means that 2 strikers can play at the same time it's a good thing. Versatile players, good coaching too probably.
Parky does say in his post match interview after the Peterborough game that Wheater, Beevers and Dervite adapted very well, moving from a back 4 to a back 3. So in his mind I think he's got a core of 3 but quite visibly, it's sometimes a 4 or 5. :-)

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Thu May 04, 2017 1:03 pm

RE creative CM's.

If we can avoid him and he's available, I'd be looking at Hoolahan.

Otherwise, maybe give Mavies another year.

I like the look of Billy Bodin from Bristol Rovers, too.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 04, 2017 1:10 pm

Jugs wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 1:03 pm
RE creative CM's.

Iles covered this on his facebook live chat. The injury to Mark Davies was far worse than publically announced. Fecked his cruciate, also broke his leg and caused various other damage. He's absolutely miles off playing again. Hasn't started full rehab. The club will support him with his rehab program, but the tone and suggestion was Davies probably won't be playing professional football again, and if he does it certainly will not be anywhere near the start of next season.

Essentially the end was "no chance" of any sort of playing deal for him and the lad has a "big decision" to make.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Thu May 04, 2017 1:11 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 1:10 pm
Jugs wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 1:03 pm
RE creative CM's.

Iles covered this on his facebook live chat. The injury to Mark Davies was far worse than publically announced. Fecked his cruciate, also broke his leg and caused various other damage. He's absolutely miles off playing again. Hasn't started full rehab. The club will support him with his rehab program, but the tone and suggestion was Davies probably won't be playing professional football again, and if he does it certainly will not be anywhere near the start of next season.

Essentially the end was "no chance" of any sort of playing deal for him and the lad has a "big decision" to make.
Ah, I hadn't heard that. Such a huge shame for him!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu May 04, 2017 3:47 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wow. So he's in to Marc Tierney territory then?! What a shame.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 04, 2017 3:54 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 3:47 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
That was the hint. Though of course as he hasn't started full rehab yet I guess it is too early to be definitive at this stage.

Basic drift was, it ain't good.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu May 04, 2017 4:43 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 3:54 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 3:47 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
That was the hint. Though of course as he hasn't started full rehab yet I guess it is too early to be definitive at this stage.

Basic drift was, it ain't good.
We've got fairly solid history in this department, what with Stu Holden, Sean Davis (three appearances, one red card!), Quenton Fortune (played that little I can't remember whether he was a full back or a midfielder), Joey O who was a sorta perma-croc for around 100 years.

What we really need in the Championship is a cheap, shit, perma-crock. Not one we're reliant on. Maybe with a second really cheap, shit perma-crock as back-up.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu May 04, 2017 4:48 pm

And Robbie Elliot.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu May 04, 2017 4:58 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 4:48 pm
And Robbie Elliot.
Apparently managed 86 appearances for us in 3 years (if you discount his first season with a broken leg) - which given he was out for all but 30 minutes of the first year isn't too shoddy..I thought it was much lower than that too...