Iron versus Wheaterbix. Scunthorpe away, Sat 8th April.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Iron versus Wheaterbix. Scunthorpe away, Sat 8th April.

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:53 pm

Iles tweets unequivocally that Madine is out.

"Gary Madine out of tomorrow's game at Scunthorpe United with a shoulder injury. Had a scan. Results Monday."

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:58 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:53 pm

"Gary Madine out of tomorrow's game at Scunthorpe United with a shoulder injury. Had a scan. Results Monday."
What sort of a scan has he had that takes that long for a result?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:11 pm

Is it good it's not a recurrence of what he had before?

Dunno, need him for though, the useless bastard.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:12 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:58 pm
Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:53 pm

What sort of a scan has he had that takes that long for a result?
He had to go to Scandanavia for it. :|
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:38 pm

Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:00 am
Prufrock wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:45 am
Without Nadine I think we have to play with wingers which means changing shape or dropping one of the club captain, previous club captain our top scorer.
Unusually, I disagree with you, Pru. I think Madine is harder to replace as the 1 in a 4231 than as one of two up top; I also doubt the point of playing two wingers if they haven't got a head to aim at (notwithstanding Madine's inconsistent attacking of crosses).

Personally, I'd replace Madine with Long and look to get in behind them right from the start; it might not work immediately but even if it only means they drop the back-line deeper that means they have fewer bodies up the park applying pressure. It's possibly going to be a long day, so I'm glad I'm not the nervous superstitious type...

For the record, though, I think he may start with Clayton then bring Long on later in the usual "fast sub v tired legs" move.
Which just goes to show that even DSB is wrong sometimes :D

I'd clarify and say we need width high up the pitch rather than necessarily wingers (and therefore I personally would play wingers, but there are other options). Either way, we didn't play like that second half on Tues (and so only threatened from set pieces). The one time we did with ALF getting wide right we nearly (and should have) scored.

The big difference between our personnel and the Allardyce-Ricketts team is that we don't have a physical presence without Nadine. If you dropped off against Ricketts he (and Holdsworth if he was there) could bully you in the box. Any CB partnership against 2 of ALF, Long and Clayton is going to sit ten yards deeper and see if we have Cesc Fabregas (which we very much do not) and take their chances in the air against those two. We're not getting in behind centrally. So while I agree we have to get in behind, it's got to be wide, hence wingers or some other combination that gives us width. That could be Alf and Long split (danger they get isolated and we have no-one in the box), or one of ALF/Long through the middle and the other and Vela having freedom to roam wide (Spurs without Harry Kane). The problem with that is it that you lose the tight midfield 3 if Vela is having to show wide when needed but that would be my second favoured option.

I can't think of a single successful team that hasn't had at least one of a physical presence up top, or width high.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:02 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:38 pm
The one time we did with ALF getting wide right we nearly (and should have) scored.

(…) So while I agree we have to get in behind, it's got to be wide, hence wingers or some other combination that gives us width. That could be Alf and Long split (danger they get isolated and we have no-one in the box), or one of ALF/Long through the middle and the other and Vela having freedom to roam wide (Spurs without Harry Kane). The problem with that is it that you lose the tight midfield 3 if Vela is having to show wide when needed but that would be my second favoured option.

I can't think of a single successful team that hasn't had at least one of a physical presence up top, or width high.
Unless I misunderstand your premise, I’d argue Liverpool have had two such BigMan-free combos: Dalglish/Rush and Suarez/Sturridge/Sterling. But obviously we’re not them.

I’ve selectedly quoted you above not to decontextualise but to build an idea. I agree that our front two shouldn’t be restricted to the width of the box; you mention ALF’s width at Southend and let’s not forget his freaky Fleetwood goal that might just have changed our destiny, while Long’s debut netbuster came after he’d whizzed in from the flank. As you know from Dougie’s wonky diamond, a formation doesn’t have to be symmetrical (or unchanging). I would hope the two of them have the sense to work together, one splitting wide (perhaps taking advantage of which ever Scunny full-back is overlapping) while the other stays central, and that their team-mates have the nous to hit the right ball – which they should have: much earlier in the season Parky used Proctor as a wide target. This would be a slight tweak in that - play it in behind rather than to his head. Let’s turn the feckers round and see if we can create havoc – even a corner or free-kick might not be the worst thing to win…
Prufrock wrote:
Happens a lot, but that’s OK: I’d rather be happy than right.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:03 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:00 am
Prufrock wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:45 am
Without Nadine I think we have to play with wingers which means changing shape or dropping one of the club captain, previous club captain our top scorer.
Unusually, I disagree with you, Pru. I think Madine is harder to replace as the 1 in a 4231 than as one of two up top; I also doubt the point of playing two wingers if they haven't got a head to aim at (notwithstanding Madine's inconsistent attacking of crosses).

Personally, I'd replace Madine with Long and look to get in behind them right from the start; it might not work immediately but even if it only means they drop the back-line deeper that means they have fewer bodies up the park applying pressure. It's possibly going to be a long day, so I'm glad I'm not the nervous superstitious type...

For the record, though, I think he may start with Clayton then bring Long on later in the usual "fast sub v tired legs" move.

I'd clarify and say we need width high up the pitch rather than necessarily wingers (and therefore I personally would play wingers, but there are other options). Either way, we didn't play like that second half on Tues (and so only threatened from set pieces). The one time we did with ALF getting wide right we nearly (and should have) scored.

The big difference between our personnel and the Allardyce-Ricketts team is that we don't have a physical presence without Nadine. If you dropped off against Ricketts he (and Holdsworth if he was there) could bully you in the box. Any CB partnership against 2 of ALF, Long and Clayton is going to sit ten yards deeper and see if we have Cesc Fabregas (which we very much do not) and take their chances in the air against those two. We're not getting in behind centrally. So while I agree we have to get in behind, it's got to be wide, hence wingers or some other combination that gives us width. That could be Alf and Long split (danger they get isolated and we have no-one in the box), or one of ALF/Long through the middle and the other and Vela having freedom to roam wide (Spurs without Harry Kane). The problem with that is it that you lose the tight midfield 3 if Vela is having to show wide when needed but that would be my second favoured option.

I don't think playing Long out wide is the worst idea. I sort of agree that we need an outlet somewhere.

However, the 3-5-2 won't change and it will likely be Clayton with ALF.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:59 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:25 pm
We'll lose and Fleetwood will win. It is 100% nailed on. No chance that Bolton will ever just go up without some late drama or twist.

Can feel it in my water!
As you said earlier in this thread, with Phils Parkinson and Morris winning the manager and player of the month respectively, we've got no chance. :D
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:51 am

can't wait for this one....COYWM!!!

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:18 am

TonyDomingos wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:59 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:25 pm
We'll lose and Fleetwood will win. It is 100% nailed on. No chance that Bolton will ever just go up without some late drama or twist.

Can feel it in my water!
As you said earlier in this thread, with Phils Parkinson and Morris winning the manager and player of the month respectively, we've got no chance. :D
Just looked at the league one table for 2015/16 then compared it to this year's... the thing that stands out is how tight it was at the end. We can still be caught by Millwall in 7th. Then, PP has won the MoM award 3 times out of 8, with two player of the month awards... last year the two automatically promoted teams only won MoM once each and one PoM award between them. Properly domed. Need something today!
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:31 am

All we have to do is win. Matters not how, or how many; just win and get the points. I'm seeing goals from Vela or Spearing to do it today, the big lads need to be cautious at venturing too far forth too often. Neither are sprint kings. 2-0 the Superwhites then.. :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:57 am

Lovely day to charge up the M1 in the FlannersWagon. Who's going?

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:24 pm

Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:57 am
I'm in the Berkeley hotel. Classic Sam Smith hostelry. Pint?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:34 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:24 pm
Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:57 am
I'm in the Berkeley hotel. Classic Sam Smith hostelry. Pint?
Depends what time we get there - usually straight to the ground and we're slightly behind schedule as is. But if we get there in time I'll text you.

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:13 pm

If we manage to end the day with the same seven point gap between us and third then that's good enough for me, particularly with Taylor and Madine out. And if Bury can do us another favour, even better.

1-1. Le Fondre.
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:02 pm

Wilkinson starts. Clayton and Alf on bench.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:03 pm

Had a feeling he might do that with Wilkinson. Makes sense albeit I am not convinced he will take his chance. Still we now have some subs on the bench to change it if it isn't working.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:08 pm

Wilkinson? Why?

Anyhow, we will lose today, it's written in the stars.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:08 pm

IMG_2184.JPG
IMG_2184.JPG (225.98 KiB) Viewed 2145 times
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:10 pm

Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:02 pm
Wilkinson starts. Clayton and Alf on bench.
WTF why he's done this - absolutely no need....is he throwing the game - stupid decision from Parkinson IMO

Wilkinson is absolutely shite, we'll lose this now (and I've been so positive recently !)