Iron versus Wheaterbix. Scunthorpe away, Sat 8th April.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Iron versus Wheaterbix. Scunthorpe away, Sat 8th April.

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:26 pm

Parkinson will get us up without doubt, and it will be a tremendous achievement and he deserves all the praise he'll get. But he's the most one dimensional manager that I've ever come across, direct hoof ball it's working for us in League one and it'll get us up without doubt.

But he had an opportunity today to try and play it on the floor with Clayton or Long, against a team missing 6 or 7 regular players (and with half the crowd BWFC), and with our 1st choice midfield with 'so called' championship / premiership quality in Pratley & Spearing plus Morais & ALF but he shit out and decided to continue his aimless hoof style to Wilkinson.

I know its all about winning, which is working in League 1 - and I'm willing to listen to others but can anyone seriously think that he'll do anything different in the championship ?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:48 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:26 pm
Parkinson will get us up without doubt, and it will be a tremendous achievement and he deserves all the praise he'll get. But he's the most one dimensional manager that I've ever come across, direct hoof ball it's working for us in League one and it'll get us up without doubt.

But he had an opportunity today to try and play it on the floor with Clayton or Long, against a team missing 6 or 7 regular players (and with half the crowd BWFC), and with our 1st choice midfield with 'so called' championship / premiership quality in Pratley & Spearing plus Morais & ALF but he shit out and decided to continue his aimless hoof style to Wilkinson.

I know its all about winning, which is working in League 1 - and I'm willing to listen to others but can anyone seriously think that he'll do anything different in the championship ?
So one dimensional we've used 3 different systems this season and played a different style to suit the various personnel we've had available.

Let's remember our last promotion (which happened to be from the championship) was built on Deano up front on his own with Ricketts coming on for him. Or Ian Marshall. We were hardly multidimensional then.

Build teams that can get results. That's what good managers do. End of. We've seen all these fancy dan, wanting to play football managers fail with us, time and time again. I want a manager prepared to do what it takes. We've got one.

However, we still have a big job this season. Far from done. IF we go up this season then Parky will have done the best job of any manager in any English league this year. IMHO.

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:58 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:

I have no evidence for this, but I have a hunch that the gulf in ability between the teams in the second tier and the teams in the third tier is wider than it is between any other. If we do get promoted then we're probably going to have to play very similarly to the way that we do now to stay up, unless we manage to attract investment from outside. And we're also going to need someone who can foster a bit of togetherness within the squad and get the best out of what he has. With that being the case, I'd say that Parky is very qualified for the job at hand.
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:22 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:48 pm
Peter Thompson wrote:

So one dimensional we've used 3 different systems this season and played a different style to suit the various personnel we've had available.

Let's remember our last promotion (which happened to be from the championship) was built on Deano up front on his own with Ricketts coming on for him. Or Ian Marshall. We were hardly multidimensional then.

Build teams that can get results. That's what good managers do. End of. We've seen all these fancy dan, wanting to play football managers fail with us, time and time again. I want a manager prepared to do what it takes. We've got one.

However, we still have a big job this season. Far from done. IF we go up this season then Parky will have done the best job of any manager in any English league this year. IMHO.
I tend to disagree with a lot you post, but on this you're bob on. The best managers make the most of what they've got and Parky has been there or thereabouts on that this season. We've done far better than I thought we realistically might. Whichever division next season is going to be a tough slog.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:33 pm

Is this really a bad result, losing by an odd goal to a team away, who not long back were right up there at the shrap end. A team I might add with a few pretty decent players and a real desire to make the play offs. Everybody needs a bit of luck and nobody advanced a single point on us that matters today. Oldham did us proud, Kippers will be well pxssed off and Sheffield were never going to be caught. Well done to them and now we have to grind something out and get over the line in second. A far cry from where we were not long back. Come on you Whites.... :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:51 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:33 pm
Is this really a bad result, losing by an odd goal to a team away, who not long back were right up there at the shrap end. A team I might add with a few pretty decent players and a real desire to make the play offs. Everybody needs a bit of luck and nobody advanced a single point on us that matters today. Oldham did us proud, Kippers will be well pxssed off and Sheffield were never going to be caught. Well done to them and now we have to grind something out and get over the line in second. A far cry from where we were not long back. Come on you Whites.... :oyea:
It is about perspective. Start of the week we'd have snatched the hand off an over of 3 points from Southend and Scunny.

As it turns out, the results today mean effectively we've maintained our 7 point gap from last Saturday. After two very tough away games.

What I will say is that given our history, we've sometimes had great runs, then lost one and had poor runs. We cannot afford to let that happen.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:22 pm

Fooking hell, live a little. Fck the maths we're going up and that's been nailed on since about October.
It's been shite for years. It's gonna be shite next season too so I'm loving it right now.

This year has been a blast; 23 wins is more than Liverpool, Spurs, City, Arsenal and the Rags have.
Businesswoman of the year.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:06 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:22 pm
Fooking hell, live a little. Fck the maths we're going up and that's been nailed on since about October.
It's been shite for years. It's gonna be shite next season too so I'm loving it right now.

This year has been a blast; 23 wins is more than Liverpool, Spurs, City, Arsenal and the Rags have.
Quite.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:39 pm

Apologies.
I said the Rags, but clearly I meant to say their full name; the dirty bastard Rags.
Businesswoman of the year.

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:39 pm

I'm still trying to figure out how the team bus got back before the supporters' coaches :?

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:28 pm

A crowd of 6,149, of which,2,200 were us = they attract fewer than 4K to what was surely one of their biggest games of the season. That's poor.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Billbob
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Billbob » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:41 pm

2 wins from 4 is what we get, starting next Saturday once again the support has been nothing short of fantastic. Like parky said after them 2 away games and still be 7 points ahead you would of took it. I think we get ourselves rested dusted down and plenty of sleep before next Saturday. I think the one of the best signings has also been Mr allamby fitness coach who has really got the players in best condition recovered after some really long journeys down to Gillingham, Oxford, southend in midweek and back rested for a weekend fixture. Keep up the good work lads, we are proud.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:23 am

After yesterday's results we can be pretty much certain that Sheffield United have won the league. 9 behind at this stage with 4 games left is too big a gap to make up.

Bradford are now in the chasing pack as are Scunthorpe. I am hopeful that one win will do the trick as that would mean anyone looking to catch us would need to get 4 wins to leapfrog us due to our goal difference.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:44 am

No way we're not going up. 7 points with 5 to go is a big ask, 7 with 4 isn't happening.

If absolutely everything goes wrong we'll still have a shout on the last day. We've got enough to grind out some draws and nick one of a set piece. I think 2 points will do it.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:00 am

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:44 am
No way we're not going up. 7 points with 5 to go is a big ask, 7 with 4 isn't happening.

If absolutely everything goes wrong we'll still have a shout on the last day. We've got enough to grind out some draws and nick one of a set piece. I think 2 points will do it.
Even if we don't get another point we'd still have a 50-50 chance i reckon. Bradford still have to go to bramhall Lane. Fleetwood. If we can win at Oldham the others are into sudden death territory.
We've done the hard work and the fact the atmosphere in our end was fabulous yesterday even after the whistle recognises this.
Obviously the players and Parky shouldn't be thinking like that and they didn't play like they were. The effort was there til the end and we still nearly got something despite being second best. We will get more points and the others are unlikely to hit 80.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:12 am

Bradford vs Sheffield United would be an interesting fixture but the likelyhood is that Sheffield United will be the league winners by that point and resting players. So i think that could go either way. The saving grace for that fixture is the league one title parade that they won't want spoiled.

Fleetwood have an easier run in.

I'm hoping the local derbies plus our want for promotion will kick us on to getting the result we want.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:19 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:00 am
Prufrock wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:44 am

Even if we don't get another point we'd still have a 50-50 chance i reckon. Bradford still have to go to bramhall Lane. Fleetwood. If we can win at Oldham the others are into sudden death territory.
We've done the hard work and the fact the atmosphere in our end was fabulous yesterday even after the whistle recognises this.
Obviously the players and Parky shouldn't be thinking like that and they didn't play like they were. The effort was there til the end and we still nearly got something despite being second best. We will get more points and the others are unlikely to hit 80.
Don't disagree. Bradford and Fleetwood's ppg over the season doesn't get them to 79. Plus our 10+ GD (though the kind of swing required might knock that out). We're close.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:20 am

Mar wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:12 am
Bradford vs Sheffield United would be an interesting fixture but the likelyhood is that Sheffield United will be the league winners by that point and resting players. So i think that could go either way. The saving grace for that fixture is the league one title parade that they won't want spoiled.

I'm hoping the local derbies plus our want for promotion will kick us on to getting the result we want.
Absolutely no way Sheff Utd won't be bang up for, and playing their strongest team against Bradford!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:44 am

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:20 am
Mar wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:12 am

Absolutely no way Sheff Utd won't be bang up for, and playing their strongest team against Bradford!
Agreed. What would they be resting them for?

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:57 am

Not necessarily about resting players from the first 11 but winning the league and celebrations after that don't exactly make for the same level of preparation as the rest of their season. They may even try other players to see whose worth keeping for next season as opposed to considering it resting as such