Time to Bury one and get us out of this league? Home - Tuesday 18th 8.00pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

DJBlu
Site Admin

Time to Bury one and get us out of this league? Home - Tuesday 18th 8.00pm

Post by DJBlu » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:42 pm

As it's Easter and I have time off from work I thought I'd start the, hopefully, game thread that will see us on our way out of this league.

Hoping for a 2-0 win. Will take a nerve jangling 1-0.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Time to Bury one and get us out of this league? Home - Tuesday 18th 8.00pm

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:19 pm

Given the way we played today, if that truly is the only way we can play then we do actually need Madine back.
May the bridges I burn light your way

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:20 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:19 pm
Given the way we played today, if that truly is the only way we can play then we do actually need Madine back.
Better pitch, different game.

Reckon we are going to draw however the others on Monday will too.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:39 pm

No idea what we should do. Genuinely think Wheater up front might be worth exploring.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:54 pm

4-2-3-1.

Be reet. Horror pitch gone and hit the bar three times. We need a win, if we can't get that from 2 of the bottom 5 and a nowt to play for PBoro we don't deserve it and I'll eat my hat.

Just toying with them and saving it for my pitch invasion.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:58 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:39 pm
No idea what we should do. Genuinely think Wheater up front might be worth exploring.
Neither has Parkinson and there lies the problem....he needs to get Madine playing on Tues by what ever means possible, injections, strappings - roll him out like El Cid if required !!

But as I've said on another thread there is more to this than meets the eye, I don't actually think there is anything wrong with Madine's shoulder.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:06 pm

4-0 nil Bolton ALF hat trick & Vela....

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:14 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:54 pm
4-2-3-1
Would make sense - but where are you fitting ALF in?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:32 pm

Through the middle for me. We either play Wilkinson/emergency Pratters or we *have* to get bodies around ALF and, to bang my favourite drum, width high. Morais one side, Long the other. If you get in behind wide ALF's lack of statute is much less of a killer. Pointless asking him to play back to goal with the only ball "square" 30 yards back.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:34 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:32 pm
Through the middle for me. We either play Wilkinson/emergency Pratters or we *have* to get bodies around ALF and, to bang my favourite drum, width high. Morais one side, Long the other. If you get in behind wide ALF's lack of statute is much less of a killer. Pointless asking him to play back to goal with the only ball "square" 30 yards back.

Yep, think I agree.

Who plays right back?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:36 pm

I'd go Wabara but wouldn't surprise me if he went Derik. Harsh on Dorian but needs must. Wouldnt surprise me if he went Dorian tbf height in both boxes.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:29 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:39 pm
I'd go for that too. I remember Lennon going with Mills when it was obvious Eidur couldn't play up front alone. Same situation with ALF. Mills did a decent job. Could always be changed at half time.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:34 pm

Would be a disaster, Wheater is immobile as feck and you break up the defence! If you want to do that Darren makes more sense.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:41 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:34 pm
Would be a disaster, Wheater is immobile as feck and you break up the defence! If you want to do that Darren makes more sense.
Yup. If you were going to put a Defender up front, Wheater wouldn't be it.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:55 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:32 pm
Fair enough. I assume you assume that Madine isn't fit, in which case the players you suggest fit that 4231 system best... but formations work in tandem with tactics and we would have to abandon the longer ball, particularly if Bury sit back. Would a central midfield triangle of (presumably) Vela in front of Spearing and Pratley be able to break them down? Well, frankly, given the wage disparity between them and their opponents, you would hope so... but not necessarily expect so...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:48 pm

Aye assuming no Nadine.

Agree on where the weaknesses are but think it's the best we have. Width high gives us natural, more "easy", outlets for that midfield three and should give us territory. So even if we struggle to create clear cut chances territory should builds pressure and lead to more set pieces.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:05 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:48 pm
Aye assuming no Nadine.

Agree on where the weaknesses are but think it's the best we have. Width high gives us natural, more "easy", outlets for that midfield three and should give us territory. So even if we struggle to create clear cut chances territory should builds pressure and lead to more set pieces.
True. A team set up to defend, whether high or (particularly) deep, would much rather their opponents be narrow and deep than high and spread. It would place a lot of lateral demands on the wide two, who would be expected to dig back without the ball, but that's basically how Allardyce took us from tier 2 to Europe.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:29 pm

I don't have an issue with Pru's team and setup on paper. However, I'm not convinced changing the system yet again at this late stage will necessarily work. There is in my view a psychological issue to deal with too. We got where we are with a 3 at the back. Yes it has Madine in, but I think given Parky's comments last weekend there is a clear acknowledgement in the squad that they struggle without him. They clearly don't want to say it publically, but the stats won't be hidden.

If we start trying to re-invent again is there a danger that panic sets in? Or that the defence is unsettled.

I can see it both ways, but for me, Bury is the pivot game. Lose it, and I think that is it, I don't think the squad is coming back from that. Win it and probably we will be able to do enough in the last two. It is so crucial.

Given our nervousness at home, I feel our only chance is to start fast get a goal up and try and settle the nerves. 0-0 after an hour and I'd put my house on Bury taking something from the game.

Very fine balancing act at this stage.

Halfway house would be to play Dervite at right back and sort of do a back four out of possession, back three with the ball.

Could work, and would free Morais up a bit.

It's such a huge game that we have to be careful not to go total panic stations and invite them onto us on the break. A wide open game of football does not, in any way, suit what we have. As Oldham showed yesterday for their goal.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:18 pm

Talked a lot about the effect of the games the day before on what we do, applies to Bury too. Port Vale win tomorrow and suddenly Bury have to come out which would suit us.

They're also shite, which helps.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:23 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:18 pm
Talked a lot about the effect of the games the day before on what we do, applies to Bury too. Port Vale win tomorrow and suddenly Bury have to come out which would suit us.

They're also shite, which helps.
Also if Bradford or Fleetwood or both win the pressure cranks up on us. Think right now it is inevitable one will win. Just the way it is going. So we have to go in just a point clear.

Bury might be shite. So are Oldham. So are Chesterfield. I think the game is less pressurised for Bury than ourselves. There isn't much between teams in this league.

Worry is the nerves from the home crowd get to our players. Frankly we were lucky with results after a nervy Chesterfield game. This time we go into it knowing results which arguably doesn't help.