Time to Bury one and get us out of this league? Home - Tuesday 18th 8.00pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Time to Bury one and get us out of this league? Home - Tuesday 18th 8.00pm

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:27 am

dave the minion wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:24 am
I'll say it again:

We're second in the league.
We have the second highest goal difference.

If Parky has just one plan, then in my book it's not a bad plan to be honest......
Correct, other than that plan being heavily reliant on one player who is currently sidelined.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:28 am

dave the minion wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:24 am
I'll say it again:

We're second in the league.
We have the second highest goal difference.

If Parky has just one plan, then in my book it's not a bad plan to be honest......

If he had it should have been party time last night!

Nadine seems to be trouble on a stick I really hope he fcuks off at the end of the season.

Athertonian
Promising
Promising

Post by Athertonian » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:40 am

I never expected the club to be in this position at this stage after all the injuries and off field activities. But,considering the position we were in a few weeks ago I'd have expected promotion. Seems Parkinson has ran out of ideas and the absence of Madine has caused him a few headaches.

Last nights performance was terrible from a team second in the table, as was Scunthorpe Oldham and Chesterfield. This season should have been sorted by now which makes me wonder why Parkinson never got Bradford into the Championship.

If we have to go through the play offs then so be it but, we would be going into those games as a team with poor form and that could only mean one thing.

After watching Sheffield V Bradford I saw the massive gulf between the two sides. But, had Sheffield lost their key players it could have been different for them. Considering our injuries and off field activities this season some will say it's been a success but, others will say it's been a failure.

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:54 am

Irrespective of what happens (auto promotion, play off win, play off lose) this season has been a success.

Before the start many people thought we'd struggle, some thought we'd go down.
We sold our most promising defender against our will and brought in relative unknowns and big Davey Wheater (who many weren't pleased with).
We had injuries to a lot of our "big" players, then had to sell / send back our 2 most creative players against our footballing will.
We ran out of cash on several ocassions and had major issues with the clubs owners and finances.
We couldn't get the transfer embargo lifted.

And yet we're second in the league with a 2-point cushion.

I hope to god we go up I really do (albeit I worry about next season), and there's no denying we've let a massive lead slip in recent weeks, but given all the cr@p we've had to endure, I think finishing in 6th at the lowest is a pretty big success to be honest.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:05 pm

I'll tell you one thing, the fans won't put up with another season in League 1 playing Parkinson's ultra defensive hoof ball football, the majority are absolutely sick of it.

Anyone who went last night would have heard fans around them complaining about it, heard fans streaming out of the ground at full time talking about it - all of the BWFC forum's are full of supporters complaining about Parkinson's defensive tactics and lack of any sort of a plan B....what the feck does he get them doing in training all week, he certainly doesn't get them passing & moving trying to open teams up or play through them, he must just get them all lined up to see who can hoof the ball as far as possible.

I'm sure that I've read something this morning from Beevers about missing Madine, because he gives them (the defenders) the long ball outlet when there is no one to pass short to in midfield, which is almost all of the time. Can Parkinson not coach our midfield players to give the defenders options to pass to in midfield - again last night when Henry came on, the defenders stopped hoofing it and the ball was moved through midfield to Henry, Vela or Morais although we only played down the right hand side. On the left hand side Taylor had no one to pass to ball down the line to. I felt really sorry for ALF & Morais last night they ran there absolute socks off whilst the lazy bone idle midfielders (Pratley, Derik & Spearing) just stood still the majority of the time.

It was actually like playing with 9 men last night with how poor & clumsy Pratley & Derik were.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:16 pm

PYs spot on... I said this way back when on Parkys first bad streak. When its shit it is very very shit and fans will turn a lot quicker than say a Coyle or Lennon. No goals from open play in 5 games, bet there arw managers sacked for less these days. He fcks this up and we are in league one next season he could be out the door quickly.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:21 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:16 pm
PYs spot on... I said this way back when on Parkys first bad streak. When its shit it is very very shit and fans will turn a lot quicker than say a Coyle or Lennon. No goals from open play in 5 games, bet there arw managers sacked for less these days. He fcks this up and we are in league one next season he could be out the door quickly.
That in my view is nonsense.

Coyle and Lennon created teams that had no good streaks. Just losing ones.

The contrast with Parky is greater, we go from looking unstoppable to looking like a pub team. But still, Coyle and Lennon wouldn't have managed 80 points in a season with us if we'd given them 15 years, let alone 1!

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:25 pm

Coyle had us 8th in the league and at an FA cup semi.

It wasnt a who is better - I think Parky is better - it was a statement to say I think the fans will turn quicker because the football is worse.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:29 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:25 pm

It wasnt a who is better - I think Parky is better - it was a statement to say I think the fans will turn quicker because the football is worse.
I think most fans appreciate the position we're in. And the job he's done. I've not heard anyone in the ground getting on his back. That is usually directed at Moxey, Howard and Pratley et al...

People aren't going to be happy we've blown it, but there are more reasons than the manager. Who is fundamentally one of the major reasons we're in this position in the first place. If Anderson and Deano had sorted themselves earlier we would already be up. The embargo and restrictions and inability to hold the squad together has undoubtedly cost us points.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:31 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:21 pm
officer_dibble wrote:

The contrast with Parky is greater, we go from looking unstoppable to looking like a pub team. But still, Coyle and Lennon wouldn't have managed 80 points in a season with us if we'd given them 15 years, let alone 1!
I agree with that 100% - but surely something is wrong tactically and with the manager if the only differential from being unstoppable to being a pub team in League 1 is Gary Madine....regardless of a very decent bench at this level.

Compare the teams last night - these players if coached correctly on the training ground, if fired up and motivated & if set up correctly (tactically) should have had more than enough talent to win comfortably, instead Parkinson sets the team up so defensively and they play & move the ball so slowly, combined with the hoof ball that it brings them down to the level of the opposition....most of our bench (Wilkinson apart) would have walked into Bury's first team last night if Bury could afford their wages.

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:33 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:05 pm
I'll tell you one thing, the fans won't put up with another season in League 1 playing Parkinson's ultra defensive hoof ball football, the majority are absolutely sick of it.

Anyone who went last night would have heard fans around them complaining about it, heard fans streaming out of the ground at full time talking about it - all of the BWFC forum's are full of supporters complaining about Parkinson's defensive tactics and lack of any sort of a plan B....
The fans will have no choice if we stay down and Ken sticks with Parky (which I think he should).

Whilst things aren't always Rosy, PP has brought an element of stability to a team which has been floundering on a downward spiral for years. Can we please not forget that the complaints everyone is currently coming out with are about us potentially not achieving automatic promotion at the first ask, not about us fighting relegation again. I think a lot of people need a reality check somewhere....

Fans who go to games are almost always over-critical - they've paid their money and they are completely entitled to voice their opinions, but in a lot of cases it overly focuses on the negative. I only have to listen to the tripe that the guys around me come out with to realise that even if we were 5-0 up, there'd be some apparent reason why we're shite and it should be 7 or 8.

Yes, we might end up throwing our lead away for the play-offs. Yes this will be disappointing, but christ - when Parky was appointed I don't think anyone could have argued with the ambition for the season being to scrape into the play offs at best, let alone having automatic promotion within our own hands.....

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:39 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:29 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:25 pm

I think most fans appreciate the position we're in. And the job he's done. I've not heard anyone in the ground getting on his back. That is usually directed at Moxey, Howard and Pratley et al...

People aren't going to be happy we've blown it, but there are more reasons than the manager. Who is fundamentally one of the major reasons we're in this position in the first place. If Anderson and Deano had sorted themselves earlier we would already be up. The embargo and restrictions and inability to hold the squad together has undoubtedly cost us points.
Absolute rubbish BWFCI - where the fcuk did you sit last night the top of the South Stand - I was in the West Lower and loads & I mean loads were lambasting Parkinson most of the game (apart from the last 15-20 mins) & calling him useless and screaming at him to stop the negative hoof ball tactics and change things (it was the fans who made him put Henry on for Derik at that specific time, as the crowd where going sick at the shite on display, and it was loud too) - I honestly didn't hear one single supporter try & defend him last night

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:43 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:31 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:21 pm
officer_dibble wrote:

I agree with that 100% - but surely something is wrong tactically and with the manager if the only differential from being unstoppable to being a pub team in League 1 is Gary Madine....regardless of a very decent bench at this level.

Compare the teams last night - these players if coached correctly on the training ground, if fired up and motivated & if set up correctly (tactically) should have had more than enough talent to win comfortably, instead Parkinson sets the team up so defensively and they play & move the ball so slowly, combined with the hoof ball that it brings them down to the level of the opposition....most of our bench (Wilkinson apart) would have walked into Bury's first team last night if Bury could afford their wages.
I think it is more complex than you make out. We haven't had a balanced squad. If you look at us historically over the past few years, we have been very reliant on key players being fit and available. Look for example at the difference Craig Dawson made. Yes he was a good defender, but we went from looking very frail to suddenly going on an amazing run (till he returned back).

I don't think everything is down to the manager. The players didn't perform last night. Even taking aside what looked a poor selection. They didn't play well. They looked scared of the ball at times. Nerves?

Also, we definitely lack creative players. Henry isn't a patch on Ameobi. Nor really on Morais. He runs well with it, but as I say, overhits every cross, or mishits his shot. We haven't got a reliable creative player or even a half reliable one in the squad. It limits us.

I think there are more reasons than simply the manager. He's had a rough deal and created three different teams in a season all of which have done well, after initially taking time to settle. Then they've hit rough patches that we've always recovered from. In many ways it is very similar to an Allardyce side that used to go on great runs then lose 6 on the bounce. Sometimes just a key player being out tipped the balance. That has happened here, but perhaps also the pressure and the fatigue in the squad isn't helping.

I think he should have played Henry or Long last night. I'm not sure what Pratley offered at home in that role. But again I'd always say that we have to balance that with not throwing the baby out with the bathwater. We have to stay solid. Thats what we are built on. No good going to PV for example and making it a wide open game, that doesn't suit us at all.

Think it is worth remembering Bury went to Bradford and Fleetwood and took a point back. Like they did at ours. There isn't a lot between teams in this league and it is a case of fine margins. Despite playing poorly the last two, it doesn't take much to have had two wins, (bounce the other side of the post/bar for example) and everyone would be delighted. We got a scruffy win at Southend in that manner and I guess we've a) dropped form, b) lost that little bit of fortune c) missed some players d) had a poor team selection or two.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:47 pm

dave the minion wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:33 pm
Peter Thompson wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:05 pm

Anyone who went last night would have heard fans around them complaining about it, heard fans streaming out of the ground at full time talking about it - all of the BWFC forum's are full of supporters complaining about Parkinson's defensive tactics and lack of any sort of a plan B....
The fans will have no choice if we stay down and Ken sticks with Parky (which I think he should).

Whilst things aren't always Rosy, PP has brought an element of stability to a team which has been floundering on a downward spiral for years. Can we please not forget that the complaints everyone is currently coming out with are about us potentially not achieving automatic promotion at the first ask, not about us fighting relegation again. I think a lot of people need a reality check somewhere....

Fans who go to games are almost always over-critical - they've paid their money and they are completely entitled to voice their opinions, but in a lot of cases it overly focuses on the negative. I only have to listen to the tripe that the guys around me come out with to realise that even if we were 5-0 up, there'd be some apparent reason why we're shite and it should be 7 or 8.

Yes, we might end up throwing our lead away for the play-offs. Yes this will be disappointing, but christ - when Parky was appointed I don't think anyone could have argued with the ambition for the season being to scrape into the play offs at best, let alone having automatic promotion within our own hands.....
The fans will have plenty of choice in regards to whether they continue to pay to watch the shite on display though - they have supported the team this season in numbers, but believe me crowds will be a few 1000 less each week next season if we are still in League 1 under Parkinson.

After years of shite since Stoke at Wembley, the fans had genuine hope & expectation after the Southend game that we would at last get automatic promotion, something for the fans to celebrate (even though its only League 1) - please don't under estimate the hurt the fans will feel if we don't go up from the position we were in, and most of the anger for fcuking this up will be directed at Parkinson believe me.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:55 pm

Personally I'm still waiting for the missing 10,000 to come back now we've sacked Freedman.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:56 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:47 pm

The fans will have plenty of choice in regards to whether they continue to pay to watch the shite on display though - they have supported the team this season in numbers, but believe me crowds will be a few 1000 less each week next season if we are still in League 1 under Parkinson.

After years of shite since Stoke at Wembley, the fans had genuine hope & expectation after the Southend game that we would at last get automatic promotion, something for the fans to celebrate (even though its only League 1) - please don't under estimate the hurt the fans will feel if we don't go up from the position we were in, and most of the anger for fcuking this up will be directed at Parkinson believe me.
Fans stick with the team.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:01 pm

Anyone wanting rid of Parky needs to go see if there is still a mental health unit at their local hospital. Given the restrictions he's worked under it's remarkable we're in the position we're in. I'll bet around 90% of fans would have happily lined the entire squad against a wall and let rip with Zulu's Gatling gun. That and no pot to piss in is what Parky inherited. At the very least Parky deserves a chance to clear out more of the deadwood and build a squad of his own. If after that we're no better off then by all means off with his head and onwards to the next shit manager.

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:06 pm

Exactly. And if we do go up and start to get battered every week and are languishing near the bottom of the table, those same fans will also go missing no doubt. Only this time their anger will no doubt be vented at the owners for not investing, rather than the manager......

The marginal fans will always fall away unless the team is winning each week, playing attractive football and generally being on an upward trajectory. Not many teams fall into this category.

In my opinion - and it is just that - true fans will have expected nothing more than us remaining in league 1 for a few seasons to try to sort out the finances. it will be disappointing to not go up, but not unexpected, and anyone who feels this season has been anything but a success needs their head looking at... I mean, at one point towards the end of last season there was a very real chance we wouldn't have a club any more!

elhadj
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by elhadj » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:49 pm

we have a big big big problem because phil parkinson build this team to play long ball to gary madine as a target man , but when he is injured we are suffering a lot ,third match in a row goalless without madine , this parkinson problem you build this team to play long ball and you don't have a substitute for madine this is a big problem , and parkinson go out and said madine have to play through the pain this is show you without madine maybe we will not win a match .

note ; is there a bad luck when manager or player won player or manager of the month .

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:45 pm

I don't think he's the messiah, but I don't think he's a naughty boy either. He's done well over 43 games in terms of overall points gained, under difficult circumstances.

But let's not pretend he;s working with a load of shit players who are lucky to be kicking the ball with fellow pro's game to game.

Put it this way, if we do fvck it up (and it's certainly looking that way, to me) - I'll be fvckin livid and not sure I want to put up with this poverty league for another year
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"