Time to Bury one and get us out of this league? Home - Tuesday 18th 8.00pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Re: Time to Bury one and get us out of this league? Home - Tuesday 18th 8.00pm

Post by General Mannerheim » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:49 pm

He obviously did set us up to play like that when madine was fit, proven when he threw the never to be seen again six foot cart horse Conor Wilkinson in there, but as has already been said, since then we have seen parky and his mates signalling for them to play it to feet from the touchline, then throw their arms up when they thump another punt upfield.

its these nervous, inferior players panic punting. Parky is not without blame because he keeps picking them! flooding the side with defenders and defensive midfielders who can header and tackle all day but have no technical outlet other than the hoof. ive no doubt refreshing the side with a few more gifted headstrong ball players in the middle we will score goals with or without Nadine Stanley Fletcher

Billbob
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Billbob » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:00 pm

Bury throw=100m walk and as for the time wasting by their goalkeeper were was the clampdown by the ref? I don't know about 4 extra mins more like at least 12 mins.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:24 pm

This is what Parkinson does. This is what sensible Bradford fans (rather than Twitter WUMs) have been telling me while I was working there. Extended runs of all or nothing. It's bizarre and i have no idea why it happens like that. That plus the sheer ugliness of the football played was why more than you'd expect weren't too sad to see him go.
Looking at this season all I can think is that the way they are coached is very mechanical and drills them to play in a certain way. Then something goes wrong, be it the loss of key players to injury or sale or simply poor individual form, and the whole house comes crashing down. Maybe the coaching is so regimented and drilled that they can't think for themselves and can't adapt when things don't go along with the clearly meticulous preparation. Who knows though?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:29 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:24 pm
This is what Parkinson does. This is what sensible Bradford fans (rather than Twitter WUMs) have been telling me while I was working there. Extended runs of all or nothing. It's bizarre and i have no idea why it happens like that. That plus the sheer ugliness of the football played was why more than you'd expect weren't too sad to see him go.
Looking at this season all I can think is that the way they are coached is very mechanical and drills them to play in a certain way. Then something goes wrong, be it the loss of key players to injury or sale or simply poor individual form, and the whole house comes crashing down. Maybe the coaching is so regimented and drilled that they can't think for themselves and can't adapt when things don't go along with the clearly meticulous preparation. Who knows though?
As I said very similar to Sam Allardyce teams whilst he was here.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:45 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:56 pm
Peter Thompson wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:47 pm

The fans will have plenty of choice in regards to whether they continue to pay to watch the shite on display though - they have supported the team this season in numbers, but believe me crowds will be a few 1000 less each week next season if we are still in League 1 under Parkinson.

After years of shite since Stoke at Wembley, the fans had genuine hope & expectation after the Southend game that we would at last get automatic promotion, something for the fans to celebrate (even though its only League 1) - please don't under estimate the hurt the fans will feel if we don't go up from the position we were in, and most of the anger for fcuking this up will be directed at Parkinson believe me.
Fans stick with the team.
Could we survive with between 4 and 6 thousand fans like the old days? Because that's the core.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:04 am

Hoboh wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:45 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Peter Thompson wrote:

The fans will have plenty of choice in regards to whether they continue to pay to watch the shite on display though - they have supported the team this season in numbers, but believe me crowds will be a few 1000 less each week next season if we are still in League 1 under Parkinson.

After years of shite since Stoke at Wembley, the fans had genuine hope & expectation after the Southend game that we would at last get automatic promotion, something for the fans to celebrate (even though its only League 1) - please don't under estimate the hurt the fans will feel if we don't go up from the position we were in, and most of the anger for fcuking this up will be directed at Parkinson believe me.
Could we survive with between 4 and 6 thousand fans like the old days? Because that's the core.
In the mid 80's Div 4 / Div 3 days we were only getting 3,500 at Burnden....

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:13 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:04 am
Hoboh wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:45 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Peter Thompson wrote:

In the mid 80's Div 4 / Div 3 days we were only getting 3,500 at Burnden....
Be optimistic Thomo, there is probably a few more now, the glory days are not as far away as they were, anyway you get my point.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:25 pm

Hoboh, I actually wasn't meaning to be pessimistic on this occassion - I was just pointing out that we actually only got crowds of 3,500 at home in the mid eighties (I know because I was one of them stood in an empty ground week in week out). For what its worth IMO if we are still in League 1 next season, I think that the crowds would be a few thousand down due to the anger & disappointment of fcuking it up from the 1/100 certs we were a few weeks ago, However I still think that there would be 10,000 regular home fans

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:59 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:25 pm
Hoboh, I actually wasn't meaning to be pessimistic on this occassion - I was just pointing out that we actually only got crowds of 3,500 at home in the mid eighties (I know because I was one of them stood in an empty ground week in week out). For what its worth IMO if we are still in League 1 next season, I think that the crowds would be a few thousand down due to the anger & disappointment of fcuking it up from the 1/100 certs we were a few weeks ago, However I still think that there would be 10,000 regular home fans
It's an interesting question. Hobo says "the glory days are not as far away as they were" but it depends how you define glory days. It's five years next month that Coyle took us out of the top flight. In May 1980 we were in the top flight, averaging 16,353; five years later we finished 17th in the third tier, averaging 4,951. The following two seasons we averaged 4,847 and 4,851 before falling to the Fourth Division, where improved results grew the gate. (Average season attendance source here.)

EDIT thanks to the marvellous Wayback Machine reanimating Nigel Sheppard's site, I've confirmed that the lowest single-game league attendance was against Darlington: Bonfire Night 1985, just 2,902 on, and we lost 3-0.

Worth noting perhaps that c1985 saw English football's lowest average attendances, a very dark time indeed.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:08 pm

Bonfire night 1985. Lost 0-3. Hammered it down. I was there
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:38 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:59 pm
Peter Thompson wrote:
It's an interesting question. Hobo says "the glory days are not as far away as they were" but it depends how you define glory days. It's five years next month that Coyle took us out of the top flight. In May 1980 we were in the top flight, averaging 16,353; five years later we finished 17th in the third tier, averaging 4,951. The following two seasons we averaged 4,847 and 4,851 before falling to the Fourth Division, where improved results grew the gate. (Average season attendance source here.)

EDIT thanks to the marvellous Wayback Machine reanimating Nigel Sheppard's site, I've confirmed that the lowest single-game league attendance was against Darlington: Bonfire Night 1985, just 2,902 on, and we lost 3-0.

Worth noting perhaps that c1985 saw English football's lowest average attendances, a very dark time indeed.

We never really did anything in the top flight then did we? BSA and a new stadium, European football, more interest in the game I'd suggest are all relevant to perhaps having a larger core than we used to.
Anyway my point was the longer any success is not forth coming the deeper into the mire we will sink, first class everything with no means to support it, pauper stately home owners.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:35 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:38 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:59 pm
Peter Thompson wrote:

We never really did anything in the top flight then did we? BSA and a new stadium, European football, more interest in the game I'd suggest are all relevant to perhaps having a larger core than we used to.
Anyway my point was the longer any success is not forth coming the deeper into the mire we will sink, first class everything with no means to support it, pauper stately home owners.
Yeah, all fair points - sorry, work got in the way and I lost my thread. I had meant to go on to that - hence "depends how you define glory days". The 1978-80 Division One spell was a blip in a 30-year period spent outside the top flight; perhaps it's instructive to note that we were only averaging 10,500 in 1968/69 in the *second* tier - like now, five seasons after a much longer top-flight spell had ended, and like now, 10 years after we'd been much good (we finished 6th in 1960, 7th in 2007, and in both eras battled relegation for four or five seasons thereafter before succumbing).