What will we need when we're inevitably in League One next term

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

What will we need when we're inevitably in League One next term

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:42 pm

Calling all panic fannies and Parky haters! Come in here and make yourselves comfortable.

(when they've come in here, we'll chain the doors shut and run away)

Ayewhynot
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: What will we need when we're inevitably in League One next term

Post by Ayewhynot » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:29 pm

Long time lurker here, fan for 40 years. Just got back from the most atrocious game of football I've ever seen. Promotion has long gone. Forget about it. League one next year will be a massive relegation scrap without major investment. I'd put my house on us being relegated to league two this time next year and you can quote me on that!

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:13 am

Ayewhynot wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:29 pm
Long time lurker here, fan for 40 years. Just got back from the most atrocious game of football I've ever seen. Promotion has long gone. Forget about it. League one next year will be a massive relegation scrap without major investment. I'd put my house on us being relegated to league two this time next year and you can quote me on that!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:10 am

:lol:

jetsetwilly
Reliable
Reliable

Post by jetsetwilly » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:40 am

Given the money situation, unlikely investment and contact exodus, Saturday now is the biggest game in our recent history. If we stay down i think we either fold next season or certainly go down.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:29 pm

We'll need a new: manager/ squad/ owner/ ground/ attitude/ expectation/ mascot/ caterer/ shirt sponsor (front and back).

Perm any of the above.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:55 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:29 pm
We'll need a new: manager/ squad/ owner/ ground/ attitude/ expectation/ mascot/ caterer/ shirt sponsor (front and back).

Perm any of the above.
I reckon we'll have an arse sponsor before long.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:32 am

If we do stay down... I note that Conor McAleny, the Everton striker who scored at ours in the Tinpot Trophy, is out of contract this summer. He's on loan at Oxford, having scored 8 in 18; mind you, he's only 5ft10in and he'll be 25 at the start of next season... but the point is, whatever division we're in, players will be available and we'll have a relatively large number of squad places to fill. Again, this is no bad thing.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:34 am

We have too many midielders of the same type (spearing, derik, pratley, thorpe, even vela) scrappy battlers who dont do enough with the ball. Be nice to have a clear out and start again. You'd arguably try and keep spearing on lower wages but I won't be upset if we don't. Plus we can bin off Trotter finally. We'll still have a decent budget for this level and be attractive.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:08 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:34 am
We have too many midielders of the same type (spearing, derik, pratley, thorpe, even vela) scrappy battlers who dont do enough with the ball. Be nice to have a clear out and start again. You'd arguably try and keep spearing on lower wages but I won't be upset if we don't. Plus we can bin off Trotter finally. We'll still have a decent budget for this level and be attractive.
We've got nothing. So not sure where the idea comes from that we'll have a decent budget. Also we're under embargo.

If we stay down, next season will be pretty much a write off. We'll do well to stay up.

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:23 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:08 am
next season will be pretty much a write off. We'll do well to stay up.
Which is pretty much what a lot of people were saying this time last year.......

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:24 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
officer_dibble wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:34 am
We've got nothing. So not sure where the idea comes from that we'll have a decent budget. Also we're under embargo.

If we stay down, next season will be pretty much a write off. We'll do well to stay up.
Although he may be a touch shrill, BWFCi has a point here. We simply cannot carry on at the budget levels we have, which is why the clearout is a good thing.

Of the five midfielders you mention, Thorpe and Spearing are out of contract; if we're still D3 then Spearing almost certainly won't be signing (not least because we couldn't afford him). Pratley will be in the final year of one of the last two big contracts (with Amos, whose deal runs to 2019) so if we stay down we might be under big financial pressure to sell or at least loan him.

A reminder that, according to figures published last year, the average basic salary in League One is £1,330 per week (£6,235 in Championship, £32,692 Premier); according to Nixon's Sun piece when we nearly went bust, Darren is on £14kpw, Amos 16, Davies 18, Spearing 18, Trotter 11, Derik 10, Dervite 9, Moxey 8.5, Madine 8...

Ken (and Dean) always said it would take a couple of summers to sort out the contracts. Last year they released everyone who wasn't nailed down (including Wheater, with whom we later agreed a much-reduced contract). This summer might not be as dramatic if we get promotion rather than relegation, but we're still under obligation to enormously cut overheads. Last December Ken pledged to make us "self-sustainable" this summer – quoth Iles: "Anderson has vowed to trim salary costs, even if the club are promoted to the Championship, and make better use of the loan market next season". At the time we were widely accepted to be losing north of £800,000 a month; the out-of-contract players above are pulling in £72,500 a week, with the still-contracted trio Amos, Pratley and Derik raking in another £40,000 per week. That's a combined total of just under £500,000 a month - so even if we released the freebies and managed to palm off the remaining heavy contracts, we're still £300,000 a month in the hole. Obviously that will be different in D2 with increased incomings, and hopefully a renegotiation on the murderous BluMarble terms. But the point is we're still losing a startling amount of money, and heads will roll again this summer not matter what division we're in.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:28 am

dave the minion wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:23 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
next season will be pretty much a write off. We'll do well to stay up.
Which is pretty much what a lot of people were saying this time last year.......
True. And looking at the basket case we were, they were right to worry and we should be praising Parky/Ken.

You know I'm a sunny-side kinda guy, but it seems to me that next season will be a struggle. If we go up we'll be a financial tiddler; if we stay down we may be a financial cripple. Which is why I've been determined to enjoy this season, and enjoy it I have. I hope and expect that to continue tomorrow. But I really hope the season ends next weekend... :D

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:46 am

The harsh realities of being self-sustaining in this league will bite hard. We'll be competing on a level field with everyone else for average league one players. If we even get out of embargo. If not we'll be behind everyone else.

People like Chris Taylor are the sort of standard we'll be affording. Remember he was part of a play off side last time out. So he'd be top end.

Beevers will be off. Wheater might stay. Rest will likely all go, barring possibly, Madine and Morais. Vela may well have offers for him higher up.

Won't be pretty.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:04 pm

It'll be painful initially but our natural revenue puts us top end eventually, and there aren't many teams relying on a benefactor. There's only 3 or 4 teams could take over 4k away fans to consecutive games no matter how well they're doing.

Mate is a Charlton fan and told me last night they've been getting about 8k at home. Once they sort their shambles out you'd expect then to be "naturally" changing.

Champo much more difficult with the outside cash in there.
Last edited by Prufrock on Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:05 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:04 pm
It'll be painful initially but our natural revenue puts us top end eventually, and there aren't many teams relying on a benefactor. There's only 3 or 4 teams could take over 4k away fans to consecutive games no matter how well they're doing.
Aye. Will depend on decisions made. Either way next season won't be good. After that if the right decisions are made we might then be competitive again.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:22 pm

While I don't share the pessimism that the average home gate will collapse, I don't think we'll be rolling 4k into town next season if we're still in this division... unless we're running away with it.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:35 pm

Sure, the only point I was making is it's an example of the fan base we have that means even when self sufficient (as almost all teams in this league have to be) our budget is still going to be towards the top end. There are only three or four teams capable of getting 4k to away games no matter what.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:40 pm

One only has to look at Sheffield United, Coventry etc to see that commanding potentially large crowds doesn't guarantee you'll get out of this league quickly.

If we stay down it could be a bumpy ride.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:52 pm

We'll be on attendances of 2, 3 times that of most plus we have a commercial chairman and people paying attention to the off field side now.

We should still be able to attract league one signings over clubs like southend and millwall. I'd argue that only bad signings and bad management/coaching would see us fail to challenge the clubs coming down. Obviously take it as it comes with Ken and his accounts.

If by some minor miracle we remember that the ball goes in the netty thing and get promoted then yeah it aint gonna be pretty!