Player of the Year

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC PotY

Howard
No votes
Alnwick
No votes
Andrew Taylor
No votes
Beevers
20%
Wheater
77%
Wilson
No votes
Spearing
No votes
Thorpe
No votes
Derik
No votes
Madine
No votes
Vela
3%
Le Fondre
No votes
Clough
No votes
Ameobi
No votes
Dervite
No votes
Pratley
No votes
A.N. Other
No votes

Total votes: 35

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Player of the Year

Post by truewhite15 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:27 pm

Well, since it's started to be mentioned...

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Player of the Year

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:21 pm

Big David Wheater for me....

Billbob
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Billbob » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:38 pm

Wheater for me just when we thought he was leaving he came back in on reduced wages. He has formed a great partnership with beeves the man with the hat.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:53 pm

Wheater. Considered Beevers but he had a shaky spell while Wheater didn't. Can't look further than those 2 IMO.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:54 pm

Another for Wheater.

He'll walk the awards. Shouts to Beevers, Taylor, Vela and Madine..,

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:55 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:54 pm
Another for Wheater.

He'll walk the awards. Shouts to Beevers, Taylor, Vela and Madine..,
X2 and in that order for me.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:26 pm

Really difficult to choose between Beevers and Wheater, and Andy Taylor also. At gun point? Yep, Wheats.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:17 pm

Wheater by a street... as the vote seems to have it thus far.

Beevers has been a very good foil, and a cult hero with a very good song. But Wheater has been the key component, the one you'd want to be under every ball hoisted into our box. I don't think many people were 100% sure when Parky re-hired him last summer, although there was quite a bit of leeway given to the new manager and the old favourite, one of few to emerge from last season without a barrelful of bad press (despite that nonsense mini-hype with the "middle finger" Periscope video). Having already waived £10,000 in appearance bonuses to play toward the end of the relegation season, he came back effectively on trial, and took a big pay cut to stay on. Credit to Parky for being big and brave enough to welcome back an old face, who might under some circumstances have been a bad apple or a throwback to bad times; credit obviously also to Wheater for being neither of those things, which Parky must have done his homework on.

Massive credit also to the medical staff. In his previous five full seasons with us he managed (in chronological order) 24, 4, 23, 17 and 28 league games. This time he's played 42, missing just three back in November after a freak back injury – worrying for a man who lost more than half a season to a slipped disc. But his almost ever-present energy and enthusiasm have been enormously important to us, and he's made a strong case for another contract renewal: he's still only 30.

Big Dave, I (and thousands of others) salute you. I can only hope that next weekend your name is joyously sung by 20,000 exultant fans celebrating promotion at the Macron. You deserve it was much as anyone.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:41 pm

I've probably been a bit unfair to Wheater, who has been a hero for us this season and as DSB noted at the end of last season too with the pay situation, by voting for Beevers. Whilst it is true to say that Wheater has been the better defender of the two and more consistent, I just think Beevers edged it on "crucial goals" - that too might be unfair and was before Wheats put us in front yesterday.

:-)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:01 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:17 pm

Beevers has been a very good foil, and a cult hero with a very good song.
From the top? :conf:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:43 pm

Beevers and Wheater have both been ace. They are both going to have to be ace one more time.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:13 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:41 pm
I've probably been a bit unfair to Wheater, who has been a hero for us this season and as DSB noted at the end of last season too with the pay situation, by voting for Beevers. Whilst it is true to say that Wheater has been the better defender of the two and more consistent, I just think Beevers edged it on "crucial goals" - that too might be unfair and was before Wheats put us in front yesterday.

Was saying to a mate the other day that if we go up and i had to single out a goal that took us up, it won't be any scored on Saturday, rather Beevers' late one at Southend.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:45 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:01 pm

I don't understand what you mean. I meant I like the Magic Hat song, it's fun, even if we nicked it.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:09 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:13 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:41 pm

Was saying to a mate the other day that if we go up and i had to single out a goal that took us up, it won't be any scored on Saturday, rather Beevers' late one at Southend.
Yup, that's the badger.

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:43 am

Madine and Vela are joint top scorers so far this season according to the BBC with 10 each. No-ones really scored a hatfull, I suppose, but Vela scoring more than Clough is a surprise... I think he got his tenth a while back too. Wheater and Beevers together is 15 goals... that's 75% of a 20 goal-a-year striker. Having the best defense in the league and two of those defenders together being the top scorer means that one of them should get it. I want the top scorer to also get the POTY, so looking to Wheater for the hatrick on Sunday!
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:20 am

In case you didn't already love David Wheater enough, here he is (per BN) on the pitch invasion his goal caused:
When they burst on I was glad of the rest! I was a bit tired after all the celebrating. When we got back to the half-way line we saw some of the Port Vale fans were going at our fans, so a few of us went over and tried to calm things down. It’s probably not the best thing to do when there’s fighting going on. But I’m 6ft 5in I can look after myself if someone starts it. I don’t know about Jay Spearing – he’s a little Jack Russell, isn’t he?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:28 am

Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:45 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:

I don't understand what you mean. I meant I like the Magic Hat song, it's fun, even if we nicked it.
Ah, I see. I wouldn't know as it's nice and quiet where we sit. We just hear some Neanderthal grunting coming from the direction of Special Needs Corner. ;)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:28 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:28 am
Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:45 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:

Ah, I see. I wouldn't know as it's nice and quiet where we sit. We just hear some Neanderthal grunting coming from the direction of Special Needs Corner. ;)
These chaps, y'mean? :D

https://twitter.com/fallenstarks76/stat ... 2622012416

BTW, Beevers' fiancée gave birth to their second child over the weekend, so congratulations...

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:25 pm

remember watching Beevers in the Millwall away game, he was literally winning headers without his feet leaving the ground! felt like that match could have gone on all night and nobody would ever have got the better of him! but Wheats is a proper chap! toss a coin for me...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:44 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:25 pm
remember watching Beevers in the Millwall away game, he was literally winning headers without his feet leaving the ground! felt like that match could have gone on all night and nobody would ever have got the better of him!
Yeah, I think that's possibly the game where Beevers' connection with the fans really started. Millwall were booing their old boy at every opportunity so obviously we cheered every touch... and there were a lot, as they pogged endless balls in towards our Twin Towers.