The Promotion Commotion Transfer Thread 2017

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Promotion Commotion Transfer Thread 2017

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu May 04, 2017 1:19 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 9:51 am
I think Wheater this season looked like he could comfortably play a level up.
I think essentially that Wheater and Beevers combined did. Having seen Wheater play up a level and have a torrid time of it I think it's essential that we keep them together as 2 in a 3
May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu May 04, 2017 2:34 pm

Thought they, and A Taylor, looked much more comfortable as the 2 in a 4 and hope/expect that's what we'll see next year (which wouldn't bode well for ALF).

The first really good run, pre-xmas we played 4 at the back and barely conceded a goal. Wheater looks better because a) he had a partner who suits him, b) he's kept fit enough to play regular and c) he's playing in a team that is set up well defensively.

Allows him to do what he's good at instead of standing on the halfway line helpless under the last lot.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Jim_McDonuts
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jim_McDonuts » Thu May 04, 2017 4:01 pm

Hi all,

Loooong-time lurker, 1st post, be gentle:)

At the risk of provoking much ire, I'm really surprised at a name no-one's mentioned yet...

The only silver lining I can feel about Bburn not going down (and it's slim at that), is that we could get Clough back from Forest if they go down. He's not exactly set the place on fire down there. I know he was getting some stick towards when he left but I think he'd be a good addition. Keep Vela happy (who I think is our current best player), would drop straight into the squad, and has a point to prove. Perhaps cheap too (we'd have made a tidy profit, esp. if they're subsidising his wage)!

Cheers, and big respect to all,

Jim

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu May 04, 2017 4:05 pm

I don't think we can afford him Jim...unless Forrest are giving him away for nowt.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 04, 2017 4:10 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 4:05 pm
I don't think we can afford him Jim...unless Forrest are giving him away for nowt.
This. And if by some miracle we found some money I think there would be more pressing targets. Clough is a good player, but I think is hard to fit into a lot of systems we may play next season.

Jim_McDonuts
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jim_McDonuts » Thu May 04, 2017 4:11 pm

I'll get mi coat :)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 04, 2017 4:17 pm

Jim_McDonuts wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 4:11 pm
I'll get mi coat :)
Nah. Its a good shout. Think it may be a fair while till we sign new players. Have to work out who we're keeping first. Which isn't only our choice of course!

Jim_McDonuts
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jim_McDonuts » Thu May 04, 2017 4:28 pm

Thanks BWFCi.
Makes me feel old that the vehemence with BR seems more tempered these days (sigh). Be the perfect end to a marvellous season if they drop. Maybe depends which end of Bolton you're from (Tonge Fold & Bradshaw back in th'day). Admit I can't get as worked up about the pie-eaters. Otherwise ancient hostilities resumed!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 04, 2017 4:31 pm

Jim_McDonuts wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 4:28 pm
Thanks BWFCi.
Makes me feel old that the vehemence with BR seems more tempered these days (sigh). Be the perfect end to a marvellous season if they drop. Maybe depends which end of Bolton you're from (Tonge Fold & Bradshaw back in th'day). Admit I can't get as worked up about the pie-eaters. Otherwise ancient hostilities resumed!
I don't particularly mind Blackburn. It's quite a decent away day there.

I'd piss my sides if Birmingham went down after the way their owners have behaved. And of course 'Arry.

Forest Brum and Rovers are all basket cases to be honest in the way they are run. All very good examples of "careful what you wish for" when it comes to foreign investment.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu May 04, 2017 4:36 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 4:31 pm

Aye, but we'd have a little snigger along the way, being honest. No more than they'd do for us. :-)

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Thu May 04, 2017 4:45 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 10:54 am
Much of this depends on the wages they ask and the budget we have, obviously, but broadly:

• Release M Davies, Dervite, Moxey, Trotter, Wilson, Wabara, Buxton, Walker and probably Clayton (unless for buttons)
• Seek to get rid of (the still-contracted) Amos, Proctor, Chris Taylor, and possibly Derik
• Thanks and goodbye to Thorpe and Henry; wouldn't be aghast to hire them later in the summer if they're still available and we haven't found better, but let's not limit ourselves. You imagine Parky has several targets outside the club (Stephen Darby?!)
• Keep Wheater but seek a younger, faster centre-back (as an alternative/competition to Wheavers in a back four, necessary cover in a back three)
• Keep Andy Taylor
• Keep Morais - he may have peaked but he can't half cross a ball; perhaps he comes on for the last 30 against tiring defenders?
• Keep ALF but not at any price because he needs players near him, which limits tactical options
• Upgrade Madine with a similar type for first-choice; possibly keep Madine around as back-up
• Spearing would be good but not at any price. Karacan may be much more affordable and if Jay wants twice as much, is he worth it?
I would definitely look to keep Dervite. I was really impressed with him towards the end of the season. He is pretty quick for a player of his size and pretty good on the ball. He was signed as a player who was going to help us be successful at Championship level has the ability to be good at that level imho under a decent manager and structure like we have now. I also think Wabara might be worth keeping because of his pedigree (top youth player), ability (player of the year at a team promoted from L1), is at an age where he should be at his peak, and versatility and the fact he will probably be cheap in terms of Champ level wages. A lot depends I imagine on how he has trained and conducted himself when out of the team in terms of how Parky feels about him. And I wouldn't look to get rid of Derik. He has talent, is relatively young and again can cover four positions, i.e. all the central defensive and central midfield positions.

I agree with the rest. Morais has deffo earned a deal, but has a history of doing well initially then either falling out with the club or not doing so well or getting injured. Parky does seem to get the best out of him but it is quite likely he will be ineffective next year. Spearing definitely only if he agrees to a substantial drop in salary.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Thu May 04, 2017 5:10 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 4:31 pm
Jim_McDonuts wrote:
Thanks BWFCi.

I'd piss my sides if Birmingham went down after the way their owners have behaved. And of course 'Arry.

Forest Brum and Rovers are all basket cases to be honest in the way they are run. All very good examples of "careful what you wish for" when it comes to foreign investment.
I'd love it if Blackburn went down....Wigan & B/Burn both in League 1 would cap off an excellent season

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Thu May 04, 2017 5:27 pm

Jim_McDonuts wrote:
Thanks BWFCi.
Hey Bruce. Fella's only been on here for 5 minutes and he's already having a pop at you! :lol:
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu May 04, 2017 6:13 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 4:45 pm
I would definitely look to keep Dervite. I was really impressed with him towards the end of the season. He is pretty quick for a player of his size and pretty good on the ball. He was signed as a player who was going to help us be successful at Championship level has the ability to be good at that level imho under a decent manager and structure like we have now. I also think Wabara might be worth keeping because of his pedigree (top youth player), ability (player of the year at a team promoted from L1), is at an age where he should be at his peak, and versatility and the fact he will probably be cheap in terms of Champ level wages. A lot depends I imagine on how he has trained and conducted himself when out of the team in terms of how Parky feels about him. And I wouldn't look to get rid of Derik. He has talent, is relatively young and again can cover four positions, i.e. all the central defensive and central midfield positions.
Yeah, I can see your points. I think Wabara is unlucky to have come in just as we changed shape and I've nowt against Derik (who, as a contracted player who hasn't exactly scorched the earth, might not be easy to shift anyway). Don't hate Dervite either.

But I wouldn't want us to be over-loyal: it's good to shake up the squad a little, especially when we're skint. Again, it depends on how big a slice of our relatively small wage budget these guys would want – obviously Wheater last summer signed a mutually agreeable deal. Wabara might not want much, but equally he might still be available in August.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Thu May 04, 2017 6:15 pm

Parky said when Clough left he signed at Forest for 'life changing wages'.
He's not coming back here.
Businesswoman of the year.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu May 04, 2017 6:17 pm

Maybe he meant really shit ones?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Thu May 04, 2017 7:30 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 6:15 pm
Parky said when Clough left he signed at Forest for 'life changing wages'.
He's not coming back here.
My personal opinion is that his dip in form at the end was because he was aware of a possible move. For him to go backwards probably wouldn't bring the best out of him.

Pretty much agree with what everyone's said. I don't think we should hang onto huge wages for pride/sentimentality. I'd rather hand onto someone young-ish, versatile and not on eye-watering wages (Derik), than someone older, less versatile and on higher wages (Spearing). Madine is a tricky one, the team is apparently built around him, can we afford an upgrade? Would an upgrade actually be any better?
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

Jim_McDonuts
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jim_McDonuts » Thu May 04, 2017 7:39 pm

"Parky said when Clough left he signed at Forest for 'life changing wages'.
He's not coming back here."

Thanks for the info, didn't know that - bang goes that one then, ho hum

Apologies Bruce, no offence meant :D

Slightly alarming that I'm lining up with PT already :P (but yeah F*** 'Em)

Agreed that BR away can be fun, last game we went to really wasn't though, dull as ditchwater, then a final kick in the nuts at the death - ouch (think the champ season before last?).

Pains me to say it but there's always been plenty of traffic between the two clubs (and Wigan too I guess), do they have anyone worth checking out atm, esp. if they drop? The itinerant footballers lifestyle must be a major ball-ache, especially if your a bit older with settled family n'all.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu May 04, 2017 8:40 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 5:27 pm
Jim_McDonuts wrote:
Thanks BWFCi.
Hey Bruce. Fella's only been on here for 5 minutes and he's already having a pop at you! :lol:
I did think when I read it - '4uck. What've I done?' :lol:
May the bridges I burn light your way

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu May 04, 2017 9:24 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 8:40 pm
TonyDomingos wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 5:27 pm
Jim_McDonuts wrote:
Thanks BWFCi.
I did think when I read it - '4uck. What've I done?' :lol:
This reminds me of the 'who do I need to apologise to?' texts you send the morning after a big night out! :lol: