The Promotion Commotion Transfer Thread 2017

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Billbob
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: The Promotion Commotion Transfer Thread 2017

Post by Billbob » Mon May 29, 2017 4:37 pm

I wouldn't mind Mcmahon and Marshall, but do like Mcmahon very vocal on the pitch a right battler

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 29, 2017 4:50 pm

Billbob wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 4:37 pm
I wouldn't mind Mcmahon and Marshall, but do like Mcmahon very vocal on the pitch a right battler
Marshall is 30 and every time I've seen him he flatters to deceive. No chance he will make championship grade in my view. Also he didn't get in Parky's team.

Get Ameobi over him. Or Morais.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon May 29, 2017 6:50 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 4:28 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 4:22 pm
Or maybe both clubs expressed an interest but Millwall had the firmer interest. Or the lad wants to live in London. Transfer rumours are just that, if they don't come true I don't necessarily think it's poor journalism to have reported an interest.
Agreed. Though I do think it looks poor to print the story a few hours before he signs on at a rival club. Especially when your owners son (who is in charge of transfers at BWFC) had tweeted Meredith was off to Millwall a few days back. Doesn't take much research.
Didn't know that. Andersons put out what suits them not necessarily the truth though, was being reported from multiple sources that we were in for Meredith so I wouldn't be too harsh.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 29, 2017 7:09 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 6:50 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 4:28 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 4:22 pm
Or maybe both clubs expressed an interest but Millwall had the firmer interest. Or the lad wants to live in London. Transfer rumours are just that, if they don't come true I don't necessarily think it's poor journalism to have reported an interest.
Agreed. Though I do think it looks poor to print the story a few hours before he signs on at a rival club. Especially when your owners son (who is in charge of transfers at BWFC) had tweeted Meredith was off to Millwall a few days back. Doesn't take much research.
Didn't know that. Andersons put out what suits them not necessarily the truth though, was being reported from multiple sources that we were in for Meredith so I wouldn't be too harsh.
Lee Anderson said Millwall a few days ago. That was all he said in response to someone saying we should sign him. It was right, he didn't say we weren't interested just that he was off to Millwall. Iles presumably missed that and still went with the story a few hours before he was officially announced. Not exactly stellar journalism that is it?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon May 29, 2017 8:46 pm

When you've spent all winter trying to get the headline Valley Pair Raiders in, you're going to use it irregardless of the underlying facts. It's a long way off Super Cally go ballistic, like.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 31, 2017 9:10 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 2:11 pm
Doubt we ever went for Meredith. If we did he'd probably be here.
BN:
At least two more signings are expected at the Macron this week, but Parkinson has issued a note of caution and insists the overspending of previous regimes – that threatened the club’s very existence – will not happen again. Parkinson chose not to pursue his bid to bring in Bradford defender James Meredith, who has since agreed to sign for League One play-off winners Millwall when he returns from holiday.

Meredith was of interest to Parkinson but the wages he would have commanded did not fit Wanderers’ wage structuring. With prudent spending crucial to Parkinson’s recruitment plans this summer, and the club still struggling to manage its debts and come out of its transfer embargo, it is understood the Whites boss backed out of the chase.
So Millwall did outbid us, and we opted not to go toe-to-toe. Once you swallow the bitter first half - Millwall being one of very few teams we might have a chance of financially outmuscling in this Premier-supercharged division - that's probably good news: we have a structure, we chose not to break it, we go again.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed May 31, 2017 9:17 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 9:10 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 2:11 pm
Doubt we ever went for Meredith. If we did he'd probably be here.
BN:
At least two more signings are expected at the Macron this week, but Parkinson has issued a note of caution and insists the overspending of previous regimes – that threatened the club’s very existence – will not happen again. Parkinson chose not to pursue his bid to bring in Bradford defender James Meredith, who has since agreed to sign for League One play-off winners Millwall when he returns from holiday.

Meredith was of interest to Parkinson but the wages he would have commanded did not fit Wanderers’ wage structuring. With prudent spending crucial to Parkinson’s recruitment plans this summer, and the club still struggling to manage its debts and come out of its transfer embargo, it is understood the Whites boss backed out of the chase.
So Millwall did outbid us, and we opted not to go toe-to-toe. Once you swallow the bitter first half - Millwall being one of very few teams we might have a chance of financially outmuscling in this Premier-supercharged division - that's probably good news: we have a structure, we chose not to break it, we go again.
Again lets not take the line in the BN as gospel. They reported we were signing Meredith hours before he went to Millwall.

Also the emphasis is important. Perhaps the wages were considered too high once we had Taylor. It doesn't mean we weren't going to be able to afford him, might be we chose not to outbid Millwall for a second choice/squad player.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 31, 2017 9:47 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 9:17 am
Again lets not take the line in the BN as gospel. They reported we were signing Meredith hours before he went to Millwall.

Also the emphasis is important. Perhaps the wages were considered too high once we had Taylor. It doesn't mean we weren't going to be able to afford him, might be we chose not to outbid Millwall for a second choice/squad player.
I guess we see what we want to see. You've frequently seemed happy to back the BN when its reports chimed with your opinion.

The BN didn't report "we were signing" Meredith, they said "The Bantams, who missed out on promotion in the play-off final, have offered both players [Meredith and McMahon] a new deal at Valley Parade. Parkinson has opened talks, however, and faces competition from other clubs in the Championship and League One, including Millwall and Charlton." Which seems of a piece with the idea that Parkinson asked Meredith's agent for a ballpark figure which was so far out of our structure that we didn't proceed - especially with Taylor coming on-board.

Repeating myself to be clear: I said "we opted not to go toe-to-toe". Were this a key signing - like, say, Mark Beevers last summer - I would hope and expect us to be more competitive, perhaps able to outbid Millwall. Perhaps. We'll see. And to be reiterate: it's no bad thing that we didn't break the bank for the McAnespie de nos jours.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed May 31, 2017 12:23 pm

Agreed DSB, seems to be accurately reported to me. Never understood the anti-Iles messenger-shooting tendencies of some, largely on Twitter but occasionally on here.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed May 31, 2017 12:31 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 12:23 pm
Agreed DSB, seems to be accurately reported to me. Never understood the anti-Iles messenger-shooting tendencies of some, largely on Twitter but occasionally on here.
I'm not anti Iles. I think he generally does a good job. That piece of reporting however was poor. Opened talks. 2 hours later Millwall had him signed. If he'd checked Anderson's Twitter a few days back he'd have seen Meredith was going to Millwall.

Given that was public knowledge you have to question the accuracy of the rest of the information in that particular report.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed May 31, 2017 11:12 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 12:31 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
I'm not anti Iles. I think he generally does a good job. That piece of reporting however was poor. Opened talks. 2 hours later Millwall had him signed. If he'd checked Anderson's Twitter a few days back he'd have seen Meredith was going to Millwall.

Given that was public knowledge you have to question the accuracy of the rest of the information in that particular report.
He's reported stuff from Andersons before and been left with egg on his face. Perhaps PP was interested but Lee Anderson knew Millwall's offer was better. I don't know, neither do you or anyone else on here. Sounds like we spoke to the lad and we're outbid, no reason not to report that. Each to his own, but I see no reason to criticise Iles.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:11 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 11:12 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 12:31 pm
LeverEnd wrote:

He's reported stuff from Andersons before and been left with egg on his face. Perhaps PP was interested but Lee Anderson knew Millwall's offer was better. I don't know, neither do you or anyone else on here. Sounds like we spoke to the lad and we're outbid, no reason not to report that. Each to his own, but I see no reason to criticise Iles.
Think that is clutching a bit. It is one thing reporting it, fine. Another saying we were interested and in talks literally 2 hours before Millwall announced him.

Then the day after the BN line was "PP's interest has cooled". Aye. They clearly were either out of date with their story or just wrong then tried to cover their tracks a bit. It happens.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:34 am

LeverEnd wrote:
He's poor (Iles) IMO, he appears to believe anything that he reads or is told without carrying any further research to check whether its true or not. The way he consistently backed Holdsworth during the DH / KA share spat (just because Holdsworth was feeding him some info), without even getting KA's side of the story just showed what a poor journalist he is (IMO) .

And even since that KA has called him out in his press releases several times for consistently printing stuff about the club / KA in the BN without even speaking to KA to check the facts.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:03 am

Christ, even for the internet this is low.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:04 pm

Anyway...it's a transfer thread.

Can someone just tot-up how many players we've signed that weren't already at the Club? I'm sure it's loads...

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:32 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:04 pm

Can someone just tot-up how many players we've signed that weren't already at the Club? I'm sure it's loads...

No doubt DSB will be along shortly with a well-researched list. :D
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:00 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:32 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:04 pm

No doubt DSB will be along shortly with a well-researched list. :D
I'd have thought Brucie mighta had the answer just by looking in his Pannini sticker book. But, no.

Anyhow good a place as any, I'm delighted now when I look up "stuff" on websites to see Bolton in the section under "Championship" - sorta makes it all a little more real.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:44 pm

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/bolto ... -defender/

Bit of dubious gossip for your perusal.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:30 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:44 pm
https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/bolto ... -defender/
Bit of dubious gossip for your perusal.
Who is Lee Connor when he's at home ? " Bolton are looking to improve their squad following their immediate promotion back to the Championship last season, where they finished a distant second to Sheffield United but crucially secured second tier football again.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:38 am

I'd say 14pts is a fair distance. We only finished 14 clear of Southend, who missed the play-offs; they finished 14 clear of Walsall (in 14th), who finished 14 clear of relegated Swindon.