The Promotion Commotion Transfer Thread 2017

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Promotion Commotion Transfer Thread 2017

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:49 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:55 pm
Looks like Proctor's on his way to either Rotherham (most likely) or Donny.

Good stuff. He isn't very good, we get some cash for him and it frees up a space. What's not to like?
I guess ditto for Chris Taylor, who in the same BN piece Iles said is "almost certain to be moved on".

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:49 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:49 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:55 pm
Looks like Proctor's on his way to either Rotherham (most likely) or Donny.

Good stuff. He isn't very good, we get some cash for him and it frees up a space. What's not to like?
I guess ditto for Chris Taylor, who in the same BN piece Iles said is "almost certain to be moved on".
My Blackburn supporting buddy said of Chris Taylor when we signed him "He won't lose you any games but he won't win you any either". Quite an accurate description from what I've seen.
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:53 pm

Heartening words from Pilipe Morias: "“Bolton Wanderers is the only place I really wanted to be. Me and my family are over the moon that it's all done and dusted and I just can't wait to get started!” :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:25 pm

Twitter is awash with rumours from fairly credible sources that we're about to sign a lad called Reece Burke on a season-long loan from West Ham United. He's a young centre-back who can also play at right-back, and meets two of Parky's usual criteria in that he's over six feet tall and has previously worked with him. He's also an ex-England youth international, and won Bradford City's player of the year award after spending a season on loan with them as a teenager.

From what I've read bout him, he seems to be quite a decent prospect.
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:50 pm

Nicko58 wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:25 pm
Twitter is awash with rumours from fairly credible sources that we're about to sign a lad called Reece Burke on a season-long loan from West Ham United. He's a young centre-back who can also play at right-back, and meets two of Parky's usual criteria in that he's over six feet tall and has previously worked with him. He's also an ex-England youth international, and won Bradford City's player of the year award after spending a season on loan with them as a teenager.

Hmmm. How many defenders will we need?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:53 pm

Nicko58 wrote:
Twitter is awash with rumours from fairly credible sources that we're about to sign a lad called Reece Burke on a season-long loan from West Ham United. He's a young centre-back who can also play at right-back, and meets two of Parky's usual criteria in that he's over six feet tall and has previously worked with him. He's also an ex-England youth international, and won Bradford City's player of the year award after spending a season on loan with them as a teenager. From what I've read bout him, he seems to be quite a decent prospect.
Sounds positive. Without making my Christmas list too early, I'd just maybe like to hear about indications of somebody being added up the sharp end too and the Spearing thing being sorted.. I'm sure it's in hand....
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:57 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:50 pm
Nicko58 wrote:

Feels like Parky is thinking of 3-5-2 as his preferred formation? We are short on attacking wide players and number 10's, but heavy on central defenders, and all our full backs can play wing back, including the one completely new guy who speaks as though he is more of a wing back than a right back.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:04 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:57 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Nicko58 wrote:

Feels like Parky is thinking of 3-5-2 as his preferred formation? We are short on attacking wide players and number 10's, but heavy on central defenders, and all our full backs can play wing back, including the one completely new guy who speaks as though he is more of a wing back than a right back.
Whatever system you need more creativity than we've got plus people better skilled at retaining the ball. In this league, imho.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:05 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Nicko58 wrote:

If we're playing with a back three, I'd prefer to have more than three centre-backs. Three and a half if you count Derik.

Burke was sent on loan to Wigan last season, played 10 Champo games, mostly at right-back. Had to return to West Ham for treatment after getting hip-jip. This echoed the previous season when he'd had to briefly flee Bradford for knee-knack treatment, although he did make 34 third-tier appearances for Parky, all at centre-back.

Wonder if a loan for him might also pave the way for a similar deal over Josh Cullen, two months Burke's senior.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:50 pm

I see that Big Tom's signed a two year deal at Gillingham. Hope it works out for him.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:10 pm

We need another RB no matter what. I'd still be v surprised if we didn't start with a 4.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Gudnisson Trotter
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Gudnisson Trotter » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:34 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:05 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Nicko58 wrote:

If we're playing with a back three, I'd prefer to have more than three centre-backs. Three and a half if you count Derik.

Burke was sent on loan to Wigan last season, played 10 Champo games, mostly at right-back. Had to return to West Ham for treatment after getting hip-jip. This echoed the previous season when he'd had to briefly flee Bradford for knee-knack treatment, although he did make 34 third-tier appearances for Parky, all at centre-back.

Wonder if a loan for him might also pave the way for a similar deal over Josh Cullen, two months Burke's senior.
I agree. We will need five centre halfs for the 3-5-2 system. Burke, Wheater, Beevers, Dervite, Derik. Things are progressing well with the squad. Still need more options on the left side and up front as well as Spearing to be re-signed.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:43 pm

Clayton is on his way. Off to Blackpool. Good luck to him, but he's been around a while and you can only hang on to potentials for so long and he's never got beyond that. Don't think he was ever going to be a Parky player either. If he's over the injuries they could have a good player for nowt.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:57 pm

Even with all hes injuries he has had a fair crack at the whip has Clayton. I still couldn't pin down what position he is? Support striker? Out and out forward? Wide forward? Hope he works it out as he was a tidy footballer if a little lacking in presence.

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:24 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:57 pm
Even with all hes injuries he has had a fair crack at the whip has Clayton. I still couldn't pin down what position he is? Support striker? Out and out forward? Wide forward? Hope he works it out as he was a tidy footballer if a little lacking in presence.

I wouldn't say that he has really. It's a shame because when he arrived I thought that he might have been a bit of a find. But it's probably right that he moves on.
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:02 am

Good move this for both BWFC & Clayton, it was the right decision to release him and I hope he does well at Blackpool.

He has / had potential, but let's be honest he had one really decent game under Lennon at home to Wigan when he played well & scored a good goal, and he scored away at Coventry last season but that's it in 3 seasons.

He's had long enough to prove himself at BWFC, but constant major injuries prevented him having a run in the side - but we need much better quality than him in forward positions if we are to survive in the championship (IMO)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:49 am

I'd have been disappointed if we kept Clayton. We need better and also more reliable (fitness wise) than him.

Seems a good lad, but not the standard we require.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:34 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:43 pm
Clayton is on his way. Off to Blackpool. Good luck to him, but he's been around a while and you can only hang on to potentials for so long and he's never got beyond that. Don't think he was ever going to be a Parky player either. If he's over the injuries they could have a good player for nowt.
My thoughts exactly. Like Rob Hall, I willed him to do well, but alas, there comes a point at which you simply give up on the notion that there's a decent footballer inside there somewhere.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:03 pm

Maybe, or maybe just decide on balance the decent footballer won't emerge with us. Always a bit sad when you have give up on a promising youngster but still the right decision, even if he does go on to be very successful.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:19 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:03 pm
Maybe, or maybe just decide on balance the decent footballer won't emerge with us. Always a bit sad when you have give up on a promising youngster but still the right decision, even if he does go on to be very successful.
...which is where development clauses come in, such as the one which made us a bob or two when Plymouth sold our academy emigré David Norris to Ipswich for seven figures, or more recently the regular bunce we've been getting as Rob Holding continues his progress. Sadly, we can't do that with Clayton (unless we go to the faff of offering him a contract to take it to a tribunal at which we can ask for clauses), but as LE says we've just got to accept that this is the right move not just for him but for us. Good luck to the lad; if Clayton links well with the blond Geordie who tore up the play-offs, there's a chance Gary Bowyer's side could do some damage – I'm sure he'd quite like to do some at Ewood Park, for a start.