The Promotion Commotion Transfer Thread 2017

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Re: The Promotion Commotion Transfer Thread 2017

Post by TKIZ! » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:16 am

HITC - Sun reporting that Wednesday looking to loan out Rhodes next season. Ipswich or Wanderers as the two suitors
Pfffft.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:16 pm

If we aren't hanging onto either of our senior keepers then we need to bring in someone who is capable of playing for another few years at a good level and doesn't have a history of injuries. Turner looks a bright prospect, but he's not ready for an extended run as first choice at this level just yet and we will need some stability at the back if we want to kick on next season and not be in the mixer again.

Ben Hamer is a decent shout. He was a good player for Charlton. He's a good shot-stopper and his distribution is excellent. It's his recovery that holds him back. Those drills keepers do at the start of games where they make a low save, get up and then make another save immediately. He gets down well, but it takes him an age to get back up off the deck. He played a game against us back when he was at Charlton where he pulled off a couple of superb stops but was then prone on the floor for a couple of seconds whilst he got himself right to stand back up. I remember it was only last ditch challenges from their defenders that stopped us having a go at an open goal. He's better than we have though and I'd view him as an excellent signing if we got him in.

Looking in the other direction, Marek Stech is way too good for the league he's in with Luton town. He's a major reason they're pushing for promotion and with his deal running out in 12 months Luton would likely find it hard to turn down even a fairly low offer for him. He's still only 28.

Then up in Scotland you've got Zander Clark and Tomas Cerny whose agents have been looking to get them in at an English club this summer.

There are loads of options, which will hopefully mean we can get a good deal regardless what we do in the end.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:40 am

TKIZ! wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:16 am
HITC - Sun reporting that Wednesday looking to loan out Rhodes next season. Ipswich or Wanderers as the two suitors
Hmm. Two reasons I don't buy that story.

First, the overarching narrative: finance. I believe our boy Jordan was on £35k pw at Blackburn, since when he's moved twice (to Boro and Wednesday) for £9m and £10m, fees which hardly suggest a wage drop. I know Nixon's Sun piece suggests the Owls are so desperate that they'll do the old "just pay some of his wage" thing, but if he's on £40kpw wouldn't we be asking them to pay three-quarters of his wages? "Would you mind paying £30kpw to not have this player?"

Second, tactics. Rhodes is a box player, which is why he struggles to get starts. At least Alf will throw himself around, but I can't picture Rhodes taking on John Terry in the air like Alf was. I know we're making-do-and-mending with Alf up top in the absence of viable alternatives in the icy post-Armageddon nuclear-winter landscape of a life without Madine, but I doubt Parky would want to commit himself to building his attack around a box-fox.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:44 am

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:40 pm
Yeah all very sane. Wouldn't be breaking the bank to get a keeper but imagine Ben and Mark are at the lower end and so "using" their wages wouldn't be getting to Amos levels of giddy. But always thought Peter Taylor's insistence that Clough treat goalkeeping seriously is an underappreciated part of their success.
Aye, perhaps so. And Clough was very savvy about prising Shilton away from Stoke in 1977, when Forest had passed the Potters on the way up – playing on Shilton's fear of losing his England squad place, his own directors' fears of relegation, and Stoke's fears of not getting their money's worth (they'd agreed to sell him to the Rags for slightly more a couple of years earlier, but Shilts asked for too much wedge).

A good goalkeeper helps. As noted, it seems a buyer's market.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:51 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:40 am
TKIZ! wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:16 am
Hmm. Two reasons I don't buy that story.

First, the overarching narrative: finance. I believe our boy Jordan was on £35k pw at Blackburn, since when he's moved twice (to Boro and Wednesday) for £9m and £10m, fees which hardly suggest a wage drop. I know Nixon's Sun piece suggests the Owls are so desperate that they'll do the old "just pay some of his wage" thing, but if he's on £40kpw wouldn't we be asking them to pay three-quarters of his wages? "Would you mind paying £30kpw to not have this player?"

Second, tactics. Rhodes is a box player, which is why he struggles to get starts. At least Alf will throw himself around, but I can't picture Rhodes taking on John Terry in the air like Alf was. I know we're making-do-and-mending with Alf up top in the absence of viable alternatives in the icy post-Armageddon nuclear-winter landscape of a life without Madine, but I doubt Parky would want to commit himself to building his attack around a box-fox.
Don't buy it either, but Rhodes is 6ft 1. So perhaps Parky feels he can work his magic on him and get him going again through hard work?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:54 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:51 am
Don't buy it either, but Rhodes is 6ft 1. So perhaps Parky feels he can work his magic on him and get him going again through hard work?
I literally blew out my cheeks then in a "hard work" gesture. I mean, he might, but it'd be a long hard road. If he did that it would be the greatest career 180-degree since Sam transformed SKD.

I just think that both Rhodes and Wednesday will have better options elsewhere.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:57 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:54 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:51 am
I literally blew out my cheeks then in a "hard work" gesture. I mean, he might, but it'd be a long hard road. If he did that it would be the greatest career 180-degree since Sam transformed SKD.

I just think that both Rhodes and Wednesday will have better options elsewhere.
Parky has got players running through walls for him before, so it wouldn't be beyond his capabilities.

However, I agree it would be an expensive risk and one that I'd not encourage particularly. People laughed at me when I said Rhodes wouldn't make it at the top level on here.....never thought he was all that tbh.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:40 pm

Jordan Rhodes is a good Championship player who was bought by two clubs that thought they wanted him, but actually wanted a totally different type of forward. He's not a great footballer and he's not going to go winning it with a high press, nor will he hold it up and link - he's there to make runs and slot the ball in the net. Huddersfield and Blackburn were both happy to let him focus purely on getting goals for them, but Boro and Wednesday wanted qualities he didn't have. If Parky wants a player who is just there to convert at the end of play and Ken thinks we can work the finances, I don't think it's actually much of a risk - so long as we know what we are getting. He isn't a lazy player, but he's only in the side to score. I've watched him run defences ragged chasing goals, but I've also sat there and listened to Blackburn fans go mental about his lack of tracking back and inability to link play. I like players like Rhodes, Ashley Barnes, Glenn Murray, Le Fondre etc - they know they're not exceptional footballers but they focus on what they can do and add something to a team. Not very fashionable, though.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:03 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:40 pm
Jordan Rhodes is a good Championship player who was bought by two clubs that thought they wanted him, but actually wanted a totally different type of forward. He's not a great footballer and he's not going to go winning it with a high press, nor will he hold it up and link - he's there to make runs and slot the ball in the net. Huddersfield and Blackburn were both happy to let him focus purely on getting goals for them, but Boro and Wednesday wanted qualities he didn't have. If Parky wants a player who is just there to convert at the end of play and Ken thinks we can work the finances, I don't think it's actually much of a risk - so long as we know what we are getting. He isn't a lazy player, but he's only in the side to score. I've watched him run defences ragged chasing goals, but I've also sat there and listened to Blackburn fans go mental about his lack of tracking back and inability to link play. I like players like Rhodes, Ashley Barnes, Glenn Murray, Le Fondre etc - they know they're not exceptional footballers but they focus on what they can do and add something to a team. Not very fashionable, though.
Barnes runs the line - he works incredibly hard. I mean his goal record wasn't great until this season in the top flight.

Murray is a target who holds it up.

Rhodes could do more and I'm sure Parky would get it out of him, but might take time. I don't believe there is a place in most sides for a striker who just wants "to score". Football has moved on, you need to do more than that now, in MOST sides.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:11 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:03 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Barnes runs the line - he works incredibly hard. I mean his goal record wasn't great until this season in the top flight.

Rhodes could do more and I'm sure Parky would get it out of him, but might take time. I don't believe there is a place in most sides for a striker who just wants "to score". Football has moved on, you need to do more than that now, in MOST sides.
Yeah, sorry I wasn't clear there. I mean that they're all players who lack the obvious "good player" traits of pace or technical ability. They aren't obviously "special", but they get the most out of their ability and they understand how to be effective in the final third.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:13 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:11 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:03 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:

Yeah, sorry I wasn't clear there. I mean that they're all players who lack the obvious "good player" traits of pace or technical ability. They aren't obviously "special", but they get the most out of their ability and they understand how to be effective in the final third.
I get what you mean, but they have traits that make them special. Just not certain ones. Murray if younger would be highly sought after in today's game.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:21 pm

I agree, just like understanding how to make good runs and where to stand in the penalty area can make you special - but they're not fashionable and they don't necessarily get fans excited about players. Stelios was the same. He was a Premier League player because of his footballing brain, rather than his physical or technical ability. I like players who are better than you'd think they are at first glance.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:10 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:21 pm
I agree, just like understanding how to make good runs and where to stand in the penalty area can make you special - but they're not fashionable and they don't necessarily get fans excited about players. Stelios was the same. He was a Premier League player because of his footballing brain, rather than his physical or technical ability. I like players who are better than you'd think they are at first glance.
Almost the very definition of a certain Mr Klasnic... (sorry, just indulging in a bit of nostalgia).
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:53 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:10 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:21 pm
Almost the very definition of a certain Mr Klasnic... (sorry, just indulging in a bit of nostalgia).
It's all we've had to live off for a while.

ally.morrison
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by ally.morrison » Sat May 19, 2018 11:36 pm

Big Hibs Swizz striker who was on loan would be worth a look at get him for nothing to

ally.morrison
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by ally.morrison » Sat May 19, 2018 11:37 pm

Big Hibs Swizz striker who was on loan would be worth a look at get him for nothing to

ally.morrison
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by ally.morrison » Sat May 19, 2018 11:56 pm

Some good players for free in Scotland
Allthough going down Jason Naismith has one of best records in division on not getting skinned is 6.2 cuts out balls over top big athlete that gets up and down has good delivery still 23 Hull want him

Ali Crawford midfielder 26 gets goals against Celtic technical little player good on the ball can play box to box center midfield or on left or right side or roving play maker still 26 Forrest sniffing

Dylan McGeouch 25 center midfielder tenacious strong robust rarely gives ball away 25 has Aberdeen Blackburn Brentford QPR interested

Big Mulumbo at Killie had a great season still 31 one of the few midfielders to bully Scott Brown good enough for another crack at the championship

Jai Qutongo the guy Portugal tried to nationalise still 20 a tricky winger with pace a good guy to add to under 23 squad if you got a guy stepping up

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sun May 20, 2018 12:16 pm

I'd love us to unearth a good foreign gem from an unknown team in the middle of nowhere. Scottish league players should be obvious for most scouting networks for them not to miss out, and given we're in the same boat we're probably lower on the pecking order so won't be top quality players from Scotland.

ally.morrison
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by ally.morrison » Sun May 20, 2018 1:01 pm

What about Whyte that plays for Crudadors?
About to break into NI squad
Still 22 and is free got QPR watchimg him
Player of the year there twice in that league
Could be the new Staurt Dallas

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun May 20, 2018 1:13 pm

Mar wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 12:16 pm
I'd love us to unearth a good foreign gem from an unknown team in the middle of nowhere. Scottish league players should be obvious for most scouting networks for them not to miss out, and given we're in the same boat we're probably lower on the pecking order so won't be top quality players from Scotland.
We'd probably sign him then sell him before he'd unpacked his bags.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?