The Promotion Commotion Transfer Thread 2017

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Re: The Promotion Commotion Transfer Thread 2017

Post by Peter Thompson » Mon May 01, 2017 4:21 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon May 01, 2017 4:19 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 01, 2017 4:10 pm

Alf, Sammy and Karacan would be good. First signing should be Andy Taylor. Superb player. Then Wheater and the rest.
And on this we're in complete agreement. Not sure Taylor's really received the credit he deserves. As you say - a superb player for us this season. Seems to like playing for us as well.

I note that his contact at Wigan's up next month so that fits the criteria also.

Gerrim signed.
Very good player is Andy Taylor....priority signing IMO

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Mon May 01, 2017 4:26 pm

Whatever we do I feel we must add some pace and creativity to the attacking part of the team. However joyous this all feels now, this squad with Madine and Le Fondre up front, with the current midfield behind with them will not come close to scoring enough goals to be competitive in the Championship. There won't be any teams in the Championship who keel over every time a set piece comes in like Gillingham and Fleetwood did recently...

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Mon May 01, 2017 4:36 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Mon May 01, 2017 4:26 pm
Whatever we do I feel we must add some pace and creativity to the attacking part of the team. However joyous this all feels now, this squad with Madine and Le Fondre up front, with the current midfield behind with them will not come close to scoring enough goals to be competitive in the Championship. There won't be any teams in the Championship who keel over every time a set piece comes in like Gillingham and Fleetwood did recently...
Absolutely, but I suspect / hope Parky (Yes its Parky now...!) will have identified this....he's sorted the defence out now for the creativity in midfield & pace up front.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon May 01, 2017 4:37 pm

I was looking at a list of potential Bosmans from the championship this morning. The only realistic one I spotted and thought would be a good edition, was Lloyd Dyer at Burton. I reckon Ken and Parky will be looking for younger, hungrier players rather than those on the way down. Ameobi fits the bill for that imo
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon May 01, 2017 4:39 pm

Given Chris Eagles (who I've always liked and thoght he was badly handled) seems on a bit of a resurgance, is he worth considering?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon May 01, 2017 4:51 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon May 01, 2017 4:39 pm
Given Chris Eagles (who I've always liked and thoght he was badly handled) seems on a bit of a resurgance, is he worth considering?
Yesterdays man for me.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 01, 2017 4:54 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon May 01, 2017 4:39 pm
No, he's been bang average for relegated league one side Port Vale.

I'd not sing him even if we hadn't gone up. One who flatters to deceive even at his best. And his best is long behind him.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 01, 2017 4:58 pm

Might be worth having a flick through this analysis of second-tier clubs' losses. The Championship is a financial car-crash. If we try to compete we will risk the club again.

Next season is likely to require a lot of hard-fought 1-0s and 0-0s wrought from a team put together on a shoestring. Fortunately I suspect we'd have to look very hard indeed to find a more suitable manager than Parky. I noted during the televised celebrations yesterday that the changing-room signs said:

Goals
Clean sheets
Set-pieces
Closing down
Work rate
Courage
Shape
Commitment
Attitude

...that's what we'll have to rely on next season, not signing some mercurial genius whose good days are too infrequent for the wages that bankrupt the club. Yes, we need creativity further forward, and that's a difficult thing to capture, especially when set-pieces might not be as reliably productive as they have been this season. But I would expect us to be solid rather than spectacular, focusing on averaging the 1ppg that should see us safe rather than overspeculating for the 1.6ppg we'd probably need to hit the playoffs. The benchmark is not Brighton but Burton.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 01, 2017 5:13 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon May 01, 2017 4:37 pm
I was looking at a list of potential Bosmans from the championship this morning. The only realistic one I spotted and thought would be a good edition, was Lloyd Dyer at Burton. I reckon Ken and Parky will be looking for younger, hungrier players rather than those on the way down. Ameobi fits the bill for that imo
There's a user-refinable list at Transfermarkt. Agreed on the need for younger/hungrier - although it's worth noting that so far a lot of Parky's signings have been experienced (age at time of signing):

32 Buxton
31 Morais
30 A Taylor, ALF
29 Howard, Wheater, Alnwick, C Taylor
28 Karacan
27 Henry
26 Beeeeeevers
25 Wabara
24 Proctor, Ameobi
23 Thorpe
21 Long, Solomon-Otabor
20 Anderson

A lot of it depends on what we need, of course, which depends on who signs at terms that suit us. But you're right that someone with something to prove - yer Ameobis but also yer Karacans and yer Wabaras - could be a good pool in which to fish. Then again, Andy Taylor's in his 30s and everybody loves him. I guess it comes down to whether Parky trusts he can get a player working, for him and us - Wheater being a good example.

Put it this way: I expect us to be linked with a lot of players whose names I vaguely recognise but I'll have to research. ("Which one's Josh Scowen?")

Stephen Darby for right-back....?

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon May 01, 2017 5:22 pm

I doubt we'll be handing any contracts out over 2 years long, so as long as Parky thinks they've 2 years in their legs then I don't care how old they are :)

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Mon May 01, 2017 5:25 pm

See to me Taylor would struggle at LWB in the Championship if we go down the 3-5-2 route. By all means sign him, and great if we go back to 4--2-3-1, but Amari Bell or James Meredith would be great free transfers for LWB and LB cover. Chelsea seem to dominate youth team football at the moment so maybe there is young creative talent there or from other top clubs academies. These kind of players have been crucial to Huddersfield's, Reading's promotion push and Bristol City's survival this season.

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Mon May 01, 2017 5:55 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Mon May 01, 2017 5:25 pm
Chelsea seem to dominate youth team football at the moment so maybe there is young creative talent there or from other top clubs academies. These kind of players have been crucial to Huddersfield's, Reading's promotion push and Bristol City's survival this season.

Perhaps we could finally cash in that fabled promise of a loan signing that they mugged Coyle off with? :|
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 01, 2017 6:24 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Mon May 01, 2017 5:25 pm
See to me Taylor would struggle at LWB in the Championship if we go down the 3-5-2 route. By all means sign him, and great if we go back to 4--2-3-1, but Amari Bell or James Meredith would be great free transfers for LWB and LB cover. Chelsea seem to dominate youth team football at the moment so maybe there is young creative talent there or from other top clubs academies. These kind of players have been crucial to Huddersfield's, Reading's promotion push and Bristol City's survival this season.

We will be defending most of the season. Whatever system we play a solid left back is not one to pass up on.

Taylor is an absolute must for me. Best fullback we've had in absolute years.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon May 01, 2017 6:52 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 01, 2017 6:24 pm

We will be defending most of the season. Whatever system we play a solid left back is not one to pass up on.
Blimey, starting a bit early with the doom predictions aren't you Insaney? ...If we believe that we might as well send Fleetwood up in our place.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 01, 2017 7:07 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon May 01, 2017 6:52 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 01, 2017 6:24 pm

Blimey, starting a bit early with the doom predictions aren't you Insaney? ...If we believe that we might as well send Fleetwood up in our place.
Nope. We've been built on the most solid defence in the football league this season. We will need to be as solid next year. Quality of teams in there means we will have less of the ball and naturally have to defend more.

But that is ok, we are good at it. Don't pass up solid defenders we have though.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Mon May 01, 2017 9:39 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Mon May 01, 2017 4:07 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon May 01, 2017 2:52 pm
TonyDomingos wrote:
Mon May 01, 2017 2:50 pm
Ambitious thread this, given we're under a transfer embargo. :D
I couldn't fit 'loanees, freebies, the unloved and the unwanted' all in :D
I think he means you Tony :lol:

Mrs Domingos wouldn't disagree! :D
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue May 02, 2017 5:02 am

TonyDomingos wrote:
Mon May 01, 2017 9:39 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Mon May 01, 2017 4:07 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon May 01, 2017 2:52 pm
TonyDomingos wrote:
Mon May 01, 2017 2:50 pm
Ambitious thread this, given we're under a transfer embargo. :D
I couldn't fit 'loanees, freebies, the unloved and the unwanted' all in :D
I think he means you Tony :lol:

Mrs Domingos wouldn't disagree! :D
:D

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 02, 2017 9:55 am

Was anybody at the Player of the Year awards?

I ask for a reason. Marc Iles writes of "Ken Anderson telling those present at Sunday night’s player of the year awards that the play-offs could be within reach next season" – but then the actual quote is a rather more measured "even the play-offs would be a great achievement.”

Doesn't matter massively, as words are far far cheaper than contracts, but I wonder if anybody there caught the nuances...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 02, 2017 9:58 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 9:55 am
Was anybody at the Player of the Year awards?

I ask for a reason. Marc Iles writes of "Ken Anderson telling those present at Sunday night’s player of the year awards that the play-offs could be within reach next season" – but then the actual quote is a rather more measured "even the play-offs would be a great achievement.”

Doesn't matter massively, as words are far far cheaper than contracts, but I wonder if anybody there caught the nuances...
Judging by the little footage I have seen from it, I imaging the nuances were a lot of slurred words, and general swaying side to side, unless someone was holding Ken up.....

Everyone seemed a little worse for wear.

If we finish 4th from bottom next season that'll do me. If we can establish ourselves as a championship club we will be very attractive for a big money foreign takeover in my view.

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Tue May 02, 2017 10:23 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 9:58 am
If we finish 4th from bottom next season that'll do me. If we can establish ourselves as a championship club we will be very attractive for a big money foreign takeover in my view.

This is also where I'm at. If I happen to be wrong and we finish in the top half then I'd be delighted, however I just think that the step up is massive and that we're some way off being capable of doing anything but fighting to survive it yet. If we can first of all stay up, and then finish a little more comfortably the season after, then that will be good enough for me. As you say, we'll be ripe for a big money takeover at that stage.
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'