The Promotion Commotion Transfer Thread 2017

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Promotion Commotion Transfer Thread 2017

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 18, 2017 12:01 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 11:47 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 11:27 am
Thu May 18, 2017 10:45 am
Career totals 329 games, 85 goals
And he's a winger.

Let's compare that to Madine's 63 goals in 237 appearances as a centre forward. Hmmm.
To be consistent though, Bruce, 62 of McGinn's have come in what you've frequently termed a pub league (plus seven more in the Scottish Cups / League Cup). Six were before that in the League of Ireland, and five were in Europa League qualifiers against Daugava Riga, Groningen, Shkendija Tetovo (Macedonia) and CS Fola Esch (Luxembourg). Which leaves the five he scored in our third tier.

I've no idea how many Madine might have scored in Scotland...
And as I keep saying, Madine has a marginally better goal to game ratio here than SKD did.

Given what he offers to the team I think it is appropriate to suggest he shouldn't only be judged on goals.

Before I get angry responses, yes SKD was a far better player...but also one who earned far more, played at the top level (as opposed to being here when we were in league one) and had much better players around him.

And I don't think Madine is good enough to be our first choice target man next season and think we'll need to improve on that. I think he could be a back up if a suitably cheap deal could be agreed.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu May 18, 2017 12:06 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 12:01 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
And he's a winger.

Let's compare that to Madine's 63 goals in 237 appearances as a centre forward. Hmmm.
To be consistent though, Bruce, 62 of McGinn's have come in what you've frequently termed a pub league (plus seven more in the Scottish Cups / League Cup). Six were before that in the League of Ireland, and five were in Europa League qualifiers against Daugava Riga, Groningen, Shkendija Tetovo (Macedonia) and CS Fola Esch (Luxembourg). Which leaves the five he scored in our third tier.

And as I keep saying, Madine has a marginally better goal to game ratio here than SKD did.

Given what he offers to the team I think it is appropriate to suggest he shouldn't only be judged on goals.

Before I get angry responses, yes SKD was a far better player...but also one who earned far more, played at the top level (as opposed to being here when we were in league one) and had much better players around him.

And I don't think Madine is good enough to be our first choice target man next season and think we'll need to improve on that. I think he could be a back up if a suitably cheap deal could be agreed.
I'm stating facts. It's all the rage. Further - DSB, " in what you've frequently termed a pub league ". Have I?
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 18, 2017 12:10 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 12:06 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 12:01 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
And he's a winger.

I'm stating facts. It's all the rage. Further - DSB, " in what you've frequently termed a pub league ". Have I?
Indeed. But sometimes facts need the context adding! :wink:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu May 18, 2017 1:05 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Without checking, ISTR you previously derogating Scottish football. I may be wrong, it's been known. If you haven't, I apologise.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu May 18, 2017 6:30 pm

Thu May 18, 2017 1:05 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Without checking, ISTR you previously derogating Scottish football. I may be wrong, it's been known. If you haven't, I apologise.
Feel free to use the search facility. Apology accepted.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu May 18, 2017 7:19 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 6:30 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Good good. Would you place the Scottish top flight on a par with our second division? Third? First?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu May 18, 2017 7:49 pm

Thu May 18, 2017 7:19 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 6:30 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Good good. Would you place the Scottish top flight on a par with our second division? Third? First?
It's a good question, but not one that I could possibly answer. I don't watch any Scottish football. In fact, I watch very little football that doesn't involve BWFC. I do record MotD though, however, even as the Premiership draws to its conclusion I still find myself pointing at players who play for City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs and the likes and asking "Who the 4uck's he?"

As somebody who watches football considerably more than I, might I ask you the same question regarding the which English league is most comparable with the SPL?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu May 18, 2017 10:37 pm

I'm hardly the most avid watcher, but my hunch is that it's very stratified. All this is theoretical guesswork and may irritate Scots-watchers, which is not my intention, but I'd say Celtic - buoyed (Bhoyed?) by a good home record, less effective on the road - would be among the ever-expanding Premier League midtable morass who collect between 40 and 50 points, basically everyone from 8th to 17th. (I've written something on this topic which should be on FourFourTwo.com tomorrow.) Aberdeen and possibly Rangers would be relegation battlers, maybe yoyo clubs. After that it's Championship level and the worst top-flight Scottish clubs might even struggle in that theoretical division. Of course as they benefited from the increased money in the English game they'd quickly be able to afford better players, but who'd choose Ross County over Reading?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 18, 2017 10:40 pm

For me, honest view, I think average standard of the SPL is league one. Some teams would struggle to stay in league one. I'd say ourselves and Sheffield United would have been amongst top 4 in SPL last year without a doubt.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Fri May 19, 2017 12:56 am

Yeah I roughly agree with BWFCI. I think Celtic would be on a similar level to Sunderland this season i.e. Some Premiership level players, but as a team not really competitive at that level. They would always be near the top of the Championship. Then the next couple of teams, Aberdeen and Rangers currently, would be mid table Championship, then the rest anywhere from the bottom of L1 to the top of L1. This actually makes sense when you look at the Scottish TV deal:

https://stv.tv/sport/football/1383192-t ... l-tv-deal/

Those at the top of the Scottish Premiership get less than a Championship club, and those at the bottom of that league get less than any English league club, even lower than an English L2 club and their £350k solidarity payment. Obviously Celtic and Rangers have terrific levels of support, and european competition so in theory might have upper Championship level budgets, maybe very top level (including parachute payments) for Celtic who get regular group stage CL money.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri May 19, 2017 9:03 am

Agree as far as current standard goes. No doubt the big two would end up top half prem though.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri May 19, 2017 9:26 am

Thu May 18, 2017 10:37 pm
I'm hardly the most avid watcher, but my hunch is that it's very stratified. All this is theoretical guesswork and may irritate Scots-watchers, which is not my intention, but I'd say Celtic - buoyed (Bhoyed?) by a good home record, less effective on the road - would be among the ever-expanding Premier League midtable morass who collect between 40 and 50 points, basically everyone from 8th to 17th. (I've written something on this topic which should be on FourFourTwo.com tomorrow.) Aberdeen and possibly Rangers would be relegation battlers, maybe yoyo clubs. After that it's Championship level and the worst top-flight Scottish clubs might even struggle in that theoretical division. Of course as they benefited from the increased money in the English game they'd quickly be able to afford better players, but who'd choose Ross County over Reading?
If forced at gunpoint to give an analogy, then this is basically what I would have come up with (only less eloquently and with added expletives ;) )

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri May 19, 2017 11:27 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 9:26 am
If forced at gunpoint to give an analogy, then this is basically what I would have come up with (only less eloquently and with added expletives ;) )
Cheers. Like this? :wink:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:16 pm
Being hopelessly played in by Wee Jocky McShitnugget whist playing for Braw Bricht Moonlicht Nicht Highlanders in the Skelpit Lug league means you'll be equally as poor when being served by better players. Natch. :)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri May 19, 2017 11:51 am

Fri May 19, 2017 11:27 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 9:26 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Being hopelessly played in by Wee Jocky McShitnugget whist playing for Braw Bricht Moonlicht Nicht Highlanders in the Skelpit Lug league means you'll be equally as poor when being served by better players. Natch. :)
Of course :D Was that in response to one of our Caledonian scout's posts (which is simply fair game)? :D

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri May 19, 2017 1:29 pm

Size of club wise Celtic and Rangers would competed mid table in the premiership. Celtic's current side would be relegated and be upper tiers championship level in my view.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri May 19, 2017 2:27 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 11:51 am
Fri May 19, 2017 11:27 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Of course :D Was that in response to one of our Caledonian scout's posts (which is simply fair game)? :D
Yes and indeed. :D

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Fri May 19, 2017 4:14 pm

Doesn't the Neil Lennon debacle prove that the Championship is of a higher standard than the Scottish Prem? :D
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Mon May 22, 2017 11:01 pm

Well, I'm going to be the first to start this exciting era in our club's life in the Championship for the 2017/18 Season with a rumour!!! :)
Dani Calvo from Numancia allegedly signing on a 2 year deal (Defender)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 23, 2017 7:32 am

Iles says Karacan has agreed a one-year deal (with optional second year) pending a medical; confident noises about more re-signings to follow.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... r_signing/

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 23, 2017 8:46 am

Tue May 23, 2017 7:32 am
Iles says Karacan has agreed a one-year deal (with optional second year) pending a medical; confident noises about more re-signings to follow.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... r_signing/
Yeah. A weird one to progress first, but to get someone at the right age with real championship experience and pedigree, and even premiership experience is a good deal imo.