Retained list

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Retained list

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun May 28, 2017 10:05 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 8:55 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 8:38 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat May 27, 2017 11:58 am
Sounds like Mark Beevers is wanting aboard going off his article in the B.N.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... e_day_out/
He's under contract.
Quite so, but I'm talking attitude. I'm hoping the stalwarts want to play for us enough to accept the terms. Not open and shut yet it seems.
Depends who you mean. I think Wheater is nailed on.

Spearing less so, might depend who else wants him.

Alfie always a question of money and agreeing terms but I still fancy he will be here next season. Call it a hunch.

Madine and Morais are more in the category of how much do we want them vs how much others might do.

Don't worry. We've signed Taylor and Karacan and I think others are on holiday if Lee Anderson is to be believed.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun May 28, 2017 10:40 am

Every day I check and hope to hear we've re-signed someone, but I also hope something else which we probably won't know: that it's at a reasonable rate, that the player is the best available/affordable in that position, that we aren't taking too much of a fiscal risk. It's good to know that some are away, because I'm not sure how high I'd like us to go in some cases.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun May 28, 2017 6:37 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 10:40 am
Every day I check and hope to hear we've re-signed someone, but I also hope something else which we probably won't know: that it's at a reasonable rate, that the player is the best available/affordable in that position, that we aren't taking too much of a fiscal risk. It's good to know that some are away, because I'm not sure how high I'd like us to go in some cases.
It's May. I'm sure some negotiating is going on. But I'm not concerned at this stage. Some are away on holiday. Some may wait and see what else is out there.

For the first time in a long time I think we've got an owner and manager on the same page, working together.

And a group of players who want to be here. Sure some may need more financial security than we can offer but that is life.

I don't think anyone will sign on here for the wrong reasons. Another thing that I haven't felt in a long long time.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun May 28, 2017 7:03 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 6:37 pm
For the first time in a long time I think we've got an owner and manager on the same page, working together.
IMG_6399.JPG
IMG_6399.JPG (37.13 KiB) Viewed 2610 times
Obviously Gartside (nice bloke, RIP) wasn't the owner but he was the hands-on CEO. He and Coyle agreed the Premier-sized contracts for the otherwise unwanted Andrews, Knight, Ricketts and Mills.

More recently, Lennon didn't give Amos that contract without authority from above.

Overall, I agree that in the Andersons and Parky-plus-staff we have the most fiscally sensible set-up since, well, probably the mid-80s. That, too, was forced upon us by near-bankruptcy. And so, along with your wise words, I should probably relax and realise that Ken will have little appetite for worsening the accounting clusterfuck he inherited.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun May 28, 2017 7:19 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 7:03 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 6:37 pm
IMG_6399.JPG

Obviously Gartside (nice bloke, RIP) wasn't the owner but he was the hands-on CEO. He and Coyle agreed the Premier-sized contracts for the otherwise unwanted Andrews, Knight, Ricketts and Mills.

More recently, Lennon didn't give Amos that contract without authority from above.

Overall, I agree that in the Andersons and Parky-plus-staff we have the most fiscally sensible set-up since, well, probably the mid-80s. That, too, was forced upon us by near-bankruptcy. And so, along with your wise words, I should probably relax and realise that Ken will have little appetite for worsening the accounting clusterfuck he inherited.
There is a huge difference between working on the same stuff and working together. Early doors Gartside and Allardyce had the same sort of relationship Parky and the Anderson's have now. Out drinking together frequently. Close relationship. A shared vision. And a shared approach to realising it.

Garty signed cheques for subsequent managers but the working relationship and vision weren't always shared. There were a number of players Coyle wanted that Gartside didn't want to proceed with, which caused tension. Probably for the best with hindsight.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 30, 2017 6:30 pm

Lee Anderson hinting at some more 'good news' using twitter emojis...

Also BN reported there would be another re-signing within next few days.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed May 31, 2017 6:40 am

Goal Machine signs a two year deal! :)

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed May 31, 2017 6:57 am

I'm sure that will polarise opinion!

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Wed May 31, 2017 8:08 am

Some seriously short memories around judging by the reaction to this on Twitter.

Come back to me in November when the glow of promotion has well and truly worn off and he's still the same shithouse we've suffered with for the last two years.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed May 31, 2017 8:11 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 6:57 am
He's a useful player and still has scope for improvement at his age. Very difficult to warm to though.
Hope were still looking for another option as well.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed May 31, 2017 8:23 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 8:11 am
officer_dibble wrote:
He's a useful player and still has scope for improvement at his age. Very difficult to warm to though.
Where I'm at, though if he's plan A we're fcuked.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Wed May 31, 2017 8:32 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 8:11 am
officer_dibble wrote:
Agree with this, but only a useful player in League 1 - but IMO he's not good enough to be a regular starter in the championship.

Disappointing news for me though if I'm totally honest....PP should be looking for more prolific strikers than Madine, we'll come straight back down if Madine is his first choice striker.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed May 31, 2017 8:36 am

Tombwfc wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 8:08 am
Some seriously short memories around judging by the reaction to this on Twitter.

Come back to me in November when the glow of promotion has well and truly worn off and he's still the same shithouse we've suffered with for the last two years.
Joint top scorer last season and unable to win a game without him in the side?

I mean there are better players than Madine around it is a question of whether we can afford them.

Parkinson talks about working to take his game on a level. I feel that is fair enough. John McGinlay has also said he feels Madine still has a lot of unlocked potential.

Also we will need at least 3 strikers not called Proctor/Wilkinson.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed May 31, 2017 8:37 am

Two years tho.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed May 31, 2017 8:39 am

Surprising too in a way, given that Parkinson called him out publicly for being a bit of a mard arse.
Only disappointing if he's being looked at as a first choice starter. Still young as well, so should get better. Hopefully at locating the space between the goalposts!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed May 31, 2017 9:04 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 8:39 am
Surprising too in a way, given that Parkinson called him out publicly for being a bit of a mard arse.
Only disappointing if he's being looked at as a first choice starter. Still young as well, so should get better. Hopefully at locating the space between the goalposts!
That was an odd episode, but I suspect more about the pressure of the moment than owt else.

I think Madine coming through against PV in clear pain probably sealed his chances of staying here.

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Wed May 31, 2017 9:11 am

Oh hell no. "Should Get Better" on what grounds? He's shown no potential that he can do Better Things on a consistent basis in two years. A decent season in League 1. Lordy! Yippee! He's a fecking plant pot with no connectivity in the grey matter, a footballing dullard and about as strong and stable a line-leader as a wispy scarecrow. Two Years!!!!! FML

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed May 31, 2017 9:13 am

I think the lad has more ability than he's shown. Start of the season he was having more shots but went shot shy after Christmas. Confidence a big issue. Looked much better when fans on his side rather than on his back. If we Parky can work on his positional sense in the box (big if) he would be a decent player at this level. He will never be a 15-20 goal a season man but he will create a lot of our chances.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed May 31, 2017 9:33 am

My worry, is that he'll get battered from pillar to post in the Championship. Not much to do with ability, but more with appetite and attitude. When the chips are down and we're under the kosh, he'll be too easy to defend against in my opinion.

But I think he deserves a shot. 2 years though...
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Wed May 31, 2017 10:05 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 8:36 am
Tombwfc wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 8:08 am

Joint top scorer last season and unable to win a game without him in the side?

I mean there are better players than Madine around it is a question of whether we can afford them.

Parkinson talks about working to take his game on a level. I feel that is fair enough. John McGinlay has also said he feels Madine still has a lot of unlocked potential.

Also we will need at least 3 strikers not called Proctor/Wilkinson.
Not this again. I make it we've won 989 games without Gary Madine. Let's not base our attack around a freak statistic.

Looking at his whole career here, he's done nowhere near enough to deserve a new deal and by November (at the latest) he'll be back being booed off the pitch.