Retained list

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Re: Retained list

Post by dave the minion » Wed May 31, 2017 10:35 am

For those who have jumped on the "this is bad news" bandwagon, can I ask who else you think we should have signed that meets the following criteria:

- is available
- is willing to come to us
- is affordable
- is allowed to given the embargo

For me, given we currently have s squad of about 6 players, any signing is a good signing.

We can reassess at Christmas when the demands of the championship have become clear, but Christ, let's trust the manager and his team and give people s fecking chance can we?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed May 31, 2017 10:40 am

Tombwfc wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 10:05 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 8:36 am
Tombwfc wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 8:08 am
Some seriously short memories around judging by the reaction to this on Twitter.

Come back to me in November when the glow of promotion has well and truly worn off and he's still the same shithouse we've suffered with for the last two years.
Joint top scorer last season and unable to win a game without him in the side?

I mean there are better players than Madine around it is a question of whether we can afford them.

Parkinson talks about working to take his game on a level. I feel that is fair enough. John McGinlay has also said he feels Madine still has a lot of unlocked potential.

Also we will need at least 3 strikers not called Proctor/Wilkinson.
Not this again. I make it we've won 989 games without Gary Madine. Let's not base our attack around a freak statistic.

Looking at his whole career here, he's done nowhere near enough to deserve a new deal and by November (at the latest) he'll be back being booed off the pitch.
Looking at his whole career...includes one season where we were badly mismanaged, finished bottom and most of the squad looked awful. Wheater seen as a complete liability for example...

His second season we won promotion and he was joint top scorer, and an important part of the team.

Crucially we still have Parky in charge. So I'll trust his judgement.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed May 31, 2017 11:46 am

I wasn't arsed either way
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed May 31, 2017 12:50 pm

"Suit according to cloth" seems to be the criteria right now. I reckon much depends on who's around Madine. The ball can be fired at him and he makes it stick more than some of our front-line heroes of recent memory. Right now survival needs to be our aim rather than pot-breaking but I'm hopeful we'll go on and up ..... I'd still like to see Morias, Alf and big Dave safely netted though. If Sammi Omeobi should happen to call in for a chat.... :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Wed May 31, 2017 1:26 pm

Looking at PP's wiki it doesn't seem like he's had the best of times in the Championship, but always seems to do well in League 1. A bit like Madine. Could be a turning point! :conf:

Any news on the embargo?
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Wed May 31, 2017 2:08 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 10:40 am
Tombwfc wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tombwfc wrote:
Some seriously short memories around judging by the reaction to this on Twitter.

Come back to me in November when the glow of promotion has well and truly worn off and he's still the same shithouse we've suffered with for the last two years.

I mean there are better players than Madine around it is a question of whether we can afford them.

Parkinson talks about working to take his game on a level. I feel that is fair enough. John McGinlay has also said he feels Madine still has a lot of unlocked potential.

Not this again. I make it we've won 989 games without Gary Madine. Let's not base our attack around a freak statistic.

Looking at his whole career here, he's done nowhere near enough to deserve a new deal and by November (at the latest) he'll be back being booed off the pitch.
Looking at his whole career...includes one season where we were badly mismanaged, finished bottom and most of the squad looked awful. Wheater seen as a complete liability for example...

His second season we won promotion and he was joint top scorer, and an important part of the team.

10 games prove we can't win without him, but an entire season of him being shit at Championship level (11 goals in 90 across his career) is basically irrelevant.

It's early days, so let's see where we are in August, but the euphoria of promotion shouldn't hide the fact that we rarely looked a class above our League One opponents last season. Centre forward is top of the list of areas where we need an upgrade.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed May 31, 2017 2:20 pm

Tombwfc wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 2:08 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 10:40 am
Tombwfc wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tombwfc wrote:

10 games prove we can't win without him, but an entire season of him being shit at Championship level (11 goals in 90 across his career) is basically irrelevant.

It's early days, so let's see where we are in August, but the euphoria of promotion shouldn't hide the fact that we rarely looked a class above our League One opponents last season. Centre forward is top of the list of areas where we need an upgrade.
No. But a manager who sees potential in him and has already improved him as a player is relevant.

The statistic from last season is important. We suffered big time when he didn't play. Goals scored, PPG everything was awful in those 10 games. And that is directly comparable to the games he featured in. More comparable than performance under Lennon in a mess.

I do think we could do with better. We may still get it. However, I also believe he is a bit underrated by some and that IF he had a better finish on him he'd be playing at a bigger club. That is the thing, to improve on Madine you either need someone who offers the same power and presence he has with added goals, or with added pace (or both). Those players aren't easy to find on a budget. I wholly reject the idea that any target man would do. We saw with Proctor, a perfectly adequate league one striker, how far behind Madine he was.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 31, 2017 2:55 pm

I doubt either side of the Goal Machine / Washing Machine debating house is capable of persuading the opposition.

Personally, while hardly cartwheeling about the place, I am much less disappointed with this new contract than I would be if he's still first-choice striker come August.

I find this Parkinson quote interestingly measured for someone we've just signed.
I’m pleased we’ve agreed a deal. Between us, we have a clear action plan to take his game to another level. Gary is a player with potential and we will do everything we can so he can keep progressing.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed May 31, 2017 6:26 pm

Another one signed it seems...have to wait and see who....

Billbob
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Billbob » Wed May 31, 2017 7:16 pm

I hope it's David jay le fondre

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 31, 2017 8:45 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 6:26 pm
Lee Anderson just tweeted:
For those asking, there is no 6 am announcement and unlikely through tomorrow . Sleep well, wake late 😘

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed May 31, 2017 8:48 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 8:45 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
For those asking, there is no 6 am announcement and unlikely through tomorrow . Sleep well, wake late 😘
Yes, though earlier he indicated something had happened. Guess just a matter of when they announce it. Or perhaps a late snag in the deal. Time will tell.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Wed May 31, 2017 9:45 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 8:48 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Yes, though earlier he indicated something had happened. Guess just a matter of when they announce it. Or perhaps a late snag in the deal. Time will tell.

In this day and age, such a tweet is the equivalent of "I have a fax in my pocket".
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed May 31, 2017 9:51 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Joint top scorer last season
:lol:
May the bridges I burn light your way

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed May 31, 2017 11:04 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 11:46 am
I wasn't arsed either way
Perfectly put. Nothing to see here, move along, move along.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:14 am

Happy with Madine's signing. He is not the goal scorer but is very effective with what he does and suits the way we play. We simply were a much poorer and ineffective side without him in it last season. His contributions, while not flashy, cannot and should not be underestimated.

The key question is who will we afford to play beside/off him to bang the goals in.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:41 am

TonyDomingos wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 9:45 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 8:48 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

In this day and age, such a tweet is the equivalent of "I have a fax in my pocket".
I was thinking more along the lines of "I need attention, give me attention so I can feel like da man".

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:01 pm

Anderson says good news coming soon via official twitter/site.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:24 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:01 pm
Anderson says good news coming soon via official twitter/site.
Official Twitter: "👏So, who is ready for a S-Wheat announcement? #BWFC"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:25 pm

WHEATERRRRRR